Need Some Advice Here..., ...to go or not to go.
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 22 2014, 02:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
So I've talked with a lot of people about this, and I really can't decide on what to do.

I have a 10 year anniversary at a music school I attended well...10 years ago. It's in this weekend, and I've already ordered tickets for the bus (it's a 4 hour bus ride from here). It's a kinda danish thing I think... it's a school where you live for a year and it's mostly focused on music. Anyway, I used to live in a small room with a roommate of mine there. And I told him I'd come to the 10 year anniversary. After we've been at the school for the afternoon, we're going into town to party a bit. But that wasn't the original plan. Originally we'd rent a reception room or something similar, where one could bring his own drinks, beer and what not. However, now the plan has changed and we're doing a pub crawl instead.

BUT... I really don't have the money for the more expensive pub crawl option, but on the other hand, you only have a 10 year anniversary once. So on one hand I'd feel like I'm letting down at least my roommate from back then and possibly also myself, getting in a bad mood for not going, but on the other hand, I'd feel terrible spending money I don't really have, and I can't really economically justify going. And it seems I can't borrow money from anywhere to help finance this little trip. I need to make a decision before tomorrow though. rolleyes.gif

What would you do? dry.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 22 2014, 02:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Spending money you don't have is never really a good idea. If you can make it work great but I've never been one to dwell on the past too much. Onwards and upward and all that

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 22 2014, 03:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Listen what your heart tell you wink.gif
To be honest, any decision you will choose you will not feel ok. If you not go you will sorry, but if you go you will be forced to get the money and if it's so expensive this will make the things more complicated for the next period. Try to choose what it hurts less.
You know maybe it will be more good to be honest and tell the true your roommate. Maybe this will make your decision much easily wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 22 2014, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 22 2014, 04:11 PM) *
Listen what your heart tell you wink.gif
To be honest, any decision you will choose you will not feel ok. If you not go you will sorry, but if you go you will be forced to get the money and if it's so expensive this will make the things more complicated for the next period. Try to choose what it hurts less.
You know maybe it will be more good to be honest and tell the true your roommate. Maybe this will make your decision much easily wink.gif

I already told him, and his reply was: "I don't have any money either, but I'm still going". Also other people from the school back then are telling me to go as well. Of course they are.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 22 2014, 03:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 22 2014, 02:17 PM) *
I already told him, and his reply was: "I don't have any money either, but I'm still going". Also other people from the school back then are telling me to go as well. Of course they are.

I understand....damn.......what a difficult situation sad.gif Ok, let's think a little different.
Forget what other people from the school say because they are not in your shoes. I know too many people which say "I don't have money" but they have.
Think what it means, if you will borrow the money. How this will affect you and if this really worth it.
If I was in your place, from my point of view, I prefer to cry and too feel bad few days because I don't go than to affect my life for a long period. Spending and borrow money, Mith has right, it's never a good idea. Of course this theory it's not available if you want to buy guitars biggrin.gif For this everything is acceptable biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 22 2014, 03:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 22 2014, 04:37 PM) *
I understand....damn.......what a difficult situation sad.gif Ok, let's think a little different.
Forget what other people from the school say because they are not in your shoes. I know too many people which say "I don't have money" but they have.
Think what it means, if you will borrow the money. How this will affect you and if this really worth it.
If I was in your place, from my point of view, I prefer to cry and too feel bad few days because I don't go than to affect my life for a long period. Spending and borrow money, Mith has right, it's never a good idea. Of course this theory it's not available if you want to buy guitars biggrin.gif For this everything is acceptable biggrin.gif

Yeah, well, when I say I have no money, it's a bit of a lie. I have a savings account, but there's not much on it. It's like £200. And the trip will probably cost £100 all in all maybe. So I'll have to use my savings account, and I could probably save up like half of that in next month again. And then maybe the other half in January. I can only hope there will be no unforeseen and unexpected things to pay for then.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 23 2014, 10:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have decided that I am going!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 24 2014, 06:18 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 23 2014, 10:22 PM) *

Given the situation, I would do the same smile.gif it sounds like the sorta thing you'd regret missing.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 24 2014, 07:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 23 2014, 09:22 PM) *

I'm glad to hear that you decided smile.gif If you have some money in your saving account, it's ok then wink.gif Have a great time smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 24 2014, 01:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 24 2014, 08:22 AM) *
I'm glad to hear that you decided smile.gif If you have some money in your saving account, it's ok then wink.gif Have a great time smile.gif

I just didn't mean for those savings to be used for getting drunk with friends, but oh well, you only live once! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 27 2014, 11:43 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 23 2014, 11:22 PM) *

I think you've made the right choice! smile.gif
I've would have done the same.

It is just something that one would potentially really regret missing or worst - don't even realise what they've missed.
The situation you explained with the venue choice and cost of going out on such a night is very understandable and happens all the time when such events or just nights out are organized. I think there are lots of ways around it though. For one - I don't think one needs to drink too much or do it "every round" smile.gif I know - it sounds corny. Simple solution is - just drinking less or not drinking alcohol exclusively could make the trip much more financial friendly and you'll still have a good time. That being said - if you've had savings which you don't mind spending on such an occasion, it is win-win situation.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 27 2014, 11:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the reply, Bogdan smile.gif

Unfortunately...it wasn't a win-win situation. I don't regret going at all, and I think I made the right choice, but the trip was a disappointment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 27 2014, 02:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 27 2014, 12:57 PM) *
Thanks for the reply, Bogdan smile.gif

Unfortunately...it wasn't a win-win situation. I don't regret going at all, and I think I made the right choice, but the trip was a disappointment.

Oh so sorry to hear that sad.gif
Maybe the expectations were high or things just changed over time?

I enjoyed my 5 years school reunion (not sure if anyone from the class will organize the 10 years one), it was fun and cool to see the familiar faces but a lot of classmates didn't show up which was such a shame. Even if it was a disappointment, it is cool that you did make the effort to attend and be there.

I suppose you didn't get to meet the "robots" on yours? laugh.gif

This is how I was imagining it:

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2014, 02:05 AM
GMC:er
I was about to say GO FOR IT, but you already are smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 23 2014, 05:22 PM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 5 2014, 08:42 AM
Instructor
Hey Ben smile.gif I for one am not the kind of guy that wants to spend cash on this sort of stuff, but then again, my only real friendship relation was with the people I went to primary school with and guess what, we are STILL friends after 20 years smile.gif Some of us live in various other countries but AT LEAST once a year we meet up in Romania and go have a drink, or sometimes I visit them.

Otherwise, I kinda skipped all reunions because I didn't have anything to relate to in respect to those folks.

Now, I think that you followed your heart in respect to this and you did well - you would've regreted it otherwise and regrets aren't any good smile.gif
Too bad it didn't turn out right - but may I ask why?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 5 2014, 01:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 5 2014, 09:42 AM) *
Hey Ben smile.gif I for one am not the kind of guy that wants to spend cash on this sort of stuff, but then again, my only real friendship relation was with the people I went to primary school with and guess what, we are STILL friends after 20 years smile.gif Some of us live in various other countries but AT LEAST once a year we meet up in Romania and go have a drink, or sometimes I visit them.

Otherwise, I kinda skipped all reunions because I didn't have anything to relate to in respect to those folks.

Now, I think that you followed your heart in respect to this and you did well - you would've regreted it otherwise and regrets aren't any good smile.gif
Too bad it didn't turn out right - but may I ask why?

I would have originally wanted it to just be in one place, perhaps a place we rented specifically for a party, but instead it ended up being a pub crawl, and not to quiet, nice places where one could talk, but to loud places where one couldn't talk, where people would dance and all that. That's not a pub to my knowledge, but more of a....I don't know what it's called...dance place. And fair enough, people seemed happy enough with it, but those kinda places aren't for me. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 5 2014, 12:49 PM) *
I would have originally wanted it to just be in one place, perhaps a place we rented specifically for a party, but instead it ended up being a pub crawl, and not to quiet, nice places where one could talk, but to loud places where one couldn't talk, where people would dance and all that. That's not a pub to my knowledge, but more of a....I don't know what it's called...dance place. And fair enough, people seemed happy enough with it, but those kinda places aren't for me. smile.gif

I know exactly what you mean mate and I totally understand smile.gif I don't like dancing either and yes, I do like to go to place where one can hear what the other is saying wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:48 PM