Slammer's Blues Lesson.
Slammer
Jul 5 2007, 12:28 AM
GMC:er
(Making a Apsiring Instructor Lesson is something I have always wanted to do, sorry I don't have a Video Camera. But this is probably the only chance I'll get to make one, so it's for Fun!!)

Hello everyone- I am Slammer.

Attached Image

I live in Miami, Florida and I am 18 years old.

My favorite guitarists are Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Johnson.

When I am not practicing I like to watch Baseball and Record Demos and Songs for fun!

I hope to be able to show you in this lesson some of the Blues Licks I use alot in my playing, and maybe you'll get some ideas to apply in Your playing!

Since this was a pretty long song I will put a few of the licks.

First off I'd like to talk a little bit about the Blues.
In my opinion the most important thing about playing the blues -besides bending- is Vibrato!
It doesn't matter if you are the slowest guitar player around, If you have good vibrato, you can be a good blues player!

This song is in the key of G minor.

I use the G Minor Pentatonic and Blues scale alot in these licks.

G Minor Pentatonic

E---------------------------3-6-3---------------------------
B-----------------------3-6-------6-3----------------------
G-------------------3-5----------------5-3-----------------
D---------------3-5-------------------------5-3------------
A-----------3-5----------------------------------5-3--------
E-------3-6-------------------------------------------6-3---

G Minor Blues Scale

E--------------------------------3-6-3----------------------------------
B--------------------------3-6---------6-3----------------------------
G-------------------3-5-6------------------6-5-3---------------------
D-----------------3-5------------------------------5-3----------------
A-----------3-4-5---------------------------------------5-4-3---------
E-------3-6------------------------------------------------------6-3---

Lick 1.

This is the intro lick to the song.

Now for the first bend, you have to bend the 2nd string on the 6th fret up one step, and hold it there untill you release it.

E --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ----6b8br6~~~-----3--------------------------------------------------------
G ------------------------------5b------3---------3---5b--3--------------------
D ---------------------------------------------5-------------------5~~---------
A --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached File  Lick_1.mp3 ( 73.51K ) Number of downloads: 1019

Lick 2.

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------6---6---6---6---6---6--6--6----
|-----------------3~~---------------------------3--5--3--5/7----7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--
|-------5-3-5----------5p3------3h5~~---5-------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------5---------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|-------------------------------6--8--8b10br8--6--8--6h8p6------------------------------------
|-----8-8-8~~--8p6h8---8--------------------------------------8--8~~-------------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------6--------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------7/5--3----------
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-3h5~-

Attached File  lick_2.mp3 ( 183.72K ) Number of downloads: 734

So when you put them together here is what you get.

Attached File  licks_1_2.mp3 ( 273.51K ) Number of downloads: 582

For this these next licks we are going to move down an octave higher, to play the G minor Pentatonic/Blues scale Licks on the 15-18 frets.

Lick 3.

For this Next Lick we need to use Alot of vibrato for that "bluesy feel"

E---------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------
G------------15-17br-15----------------------15~~~--------
D-----/17------------------17~~~--17-17--------------------
A----------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------------

Attached File  lick_3.mp3 ( 53.47K ) Number of downloads: 479

Lick 4.

E-------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------18~-18~-18~-18~-18--------
G--------------------------15-17-15---19~-19~-19~-19~--19--19--
D------15-17-17~~--17------------------------------------------------
A---17-------------------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-----------------------------18b---------------------------------------
B-----18-20-20-20-20-20--------20-20-------------------------------
G------------------------------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached File  lick_4.mp3 ( 141.22K ) Number of downloads: 477

Lick 5.

E------------------18-20br-18-20-18-----------------------------------------------------
B----------18-20-----------------------20~---15-18-15h18p15-------------------------
G-----19---------------------~-------------------------------------17-17b-17-15--------
D--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------17--
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G----------15-17-15h17p15-----------------~-----------------------------------------
D----17-------------------------17-15--------------------------------------------------
A----------------------------------------17-16-15/13~~-------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------16~~~~-------------------

Attached File  Lick_5.mp3 ( 129.84K ) Number of downloads: 483

Backing Track (50 secs.)

Attached File  Backing_Track.mp3 ( 776.86K ) Number of downloads: 550

Ok, one final thing I'd like to say is.

Blues music is all about feeling, and I think that is something alot of guitarist forget.
Blues isn't about who can play the fastest or which arpeggios sounds good over which progression. etc.

To me Blues is about closing your eyes reaching down into your soul, and letting what is in your heart come through your fingers, and expressing yourself in that way.

I don't care if all you know is the Pentatonic Scale, if you reach down and play it with feeling. Then you ARE a Blues player!

And don't ever let anyone tell you that because you don't know all the modes or you can't Sweep or Tap or play every scale that there is, that you are not a good player.

Always believe in Your playing abilities, even if you are not the best.
And if that is all you take out of this lesson, I think it will have been worth it.

[Edit]: Ok so I fixed the Tabs, I couldn't do it any sooner because I went out to watch Fireworks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Slammer: Jul 5 2007, 04:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sb81
Jul 5 2007, 12:34 AM
Awesome!

I'm definitely going to study this lesson.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Jul 5 2007, 12:36 AM
Great lesson! I love the blues, and have been looking all over for lessons like this.

Thanks for adding in the backing track, too. I'm going to be jamming on this one all night.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jul 5 2007, 01:20 AM
Tabs Fixed.

This post has been edited by Slammer: Jul 5 2007, 04:40 AM

+Quote Post
Gen
Jul 5 2007, 01:49 AM
Thats really awsome dude! Im gonna learn this right now, and try to apply that to my playing! Thx for the lesson smile.gif

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jul 5 2007, 04:36 AM
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Jul 4 2007, 07:36 PM) *
Great lesson! I love the blues, and have been looking all over for lessons like this.

Thanks for adding in the backing track, too. I'm going to be jamming on this one all night.

Thanks again!

Hey thanks man.

If you want, I could send you the Full Backing Track. Which is over 3 minutes long.

Just PM your email address, and I'll send it right away.

Anybody else can too.

QUOTE (sb81 @ Jul 4 2007, 07:34 PM) *
Awesome!

I'm definitely going to study this lesson.

Thanks alot man! smile.gif

QUOTE (Gen @ Jul 4 2007, 08:49 PM) *
Thats really awsome dude! Im gonna learn this right now, and try to apply that to my playing! Thx for the lesson smile.gif

Hey Gen,

Thanks alot man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Jul 8 2007, 06:57 AM
Rock Instructor
hey great job man.

what about filiming it??

i like sound of it. but i think you should include a big file that includes everything .

eyal

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 8 2007, 07:00 AM
Learning Roadie
Slammer, that was awesome! You are the bluesman.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jul 8 2007, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (Rockwouldbe @ Jul 8 2007, 01:57 AM) *
hey great job man.

what about filiming it??
i like sound of it. but i think you should include a big file that includes everything .

eyal

hey thanks man. smile.gif

The main reason I didn't film it is because I don't have a camcorder. And since I only have a few days left on GMC, but I've always wanted to do one of these for fun.

So I figured I'd do one before I leave.

laugh.gif And also I did it because sb81 kept asking me to tab it out. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=4640

QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 8 2007, 02:00 AM) *
Slammer, that was awesome! You are the bluesman.

hey thanks bro. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 3 2008, 10:58 PM
Instructor
nice lesson you did slammer

+Quote Post
Slammer
May 4 2008, 04:02 AM
QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ May 3 2008, 05:58 PM) *
nice lesson you did slammer

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks man!

I had forgotten that I had made this laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 4 2008, 08:30 AM
Singing Instructor
Nice one man.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Mick Hurst
May 4 2008, 11:45 AM
[

Hi Slammer, I really enjoyed your blues lesson in Gm, and a wonderful backing track too, Please post more. Is there a way of being able to bookmark your lessons ? to enable being able to return to the lesson when ever you wish to.

rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Mick Hurst: May 4 2008, 01:54 PM

--------------------
Mick Hurst[size=4]

+Quote Post
Mick Hurst
May 4 2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Slammer would you please send me the full backing track to my email address? [email protected] I really like it. can I be even cheekier and ask if you have any more of that kind? I relly like the blues as you can have hours of fun jamming along. I thought the lesson was awsome and would encourage you to do more.

Many thanks
Mick Hurst rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Mick Hurst[size=4]

+Quote Post
Slammer
May 4 2008, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (Mick Hurst @ May 4 2008, 08:52 AM) *
Hi Slammer would you please send me the full backing track to my email address? [email protected] I really like it. can I be even cheekier and ask if you have any more of that kind? I relly like the blues as you can have hours of fun jamming along. I thought the lesson was awsome and would encourage you to do more.

Many thanks
Mick Hurst rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks alot man.

I sent the BT by Email wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:25 PM