Calluses And Hybrid Picking ..
wrk
Jun 8 2009, 12:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have never practiced tapping a lot, but i thought to concentrate a bit more on that and i finally developed some calluses on my fingers of my picking hand. Great, .. less painful i thought laugh.gif

Now, as i often use my middle and ring finger for hybrid picking, this calluses is quite disturbing. The calluses ends at the certain part of the fingertip and with this point i used to pick the strings with my ring/middle finger. The string sticks somehow behind this border of hard and soft skin. Often the string does not ring at all or with way too much attack. Hope my description makes sense ..

Each time it happens, i have to think on those cheese cutter with a strings .. hope it will not cut like one as well one day laugh.gif

Someone have had something similar before or maybe have a good solution ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Frederik
Jun 8 2009, 12:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Good solotion = more Calluses biggrin.gif

And hybrid hurts if u do it much without the calluses

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Jun 8 2009, 01:23 PM
GMC:er
I noticed the same problem just recently when I picked up an acoustic guitar at a friend's place. The relative new calluses I have developed on my picking hand are making it difficult to finger pick because they are very small and hard developed from tapping. I guess I would eventually develop calluses if I finger picked more often though.

+Quote Post
Frederik
Jun 8 2009, 01:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
just play the tapping calluses of, and develop some that covers the entire area

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 8 2009, 01:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
True, the calluses from tapping is just a tiny spot at the top of the fingertip.

I don't play that much fingerpicking on acoustics at the moments, but i did a few years ago. I don't remember to have ever developed calluses from picking back then.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 8 2009, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Maybe you should try to pluck string a bit away from finger tip,
play approx around rounded (hill type) part of the finger tip,
it would take more time for execution cause you'd have to dig deeper bellow the string
but you'll get more attack and avoid hurting yourself,
at least temporarily. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 8 2009, 02:02 PM
Instructor
That tends to happen Andy if you tap a lot smile.gif I usually try to relax my hand for a day if I do tapping a lot previous day so calluses can go away. Warm water also helps to relax fingers and skin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 8 2009, 02:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 8 2009, 02:47 PM) *
Maybe you should try to pluck string a bit away from finger tip,
play approx around rounded (hill type) part of the finger tip,
it would take more time for execution cause you'd have to dig deeper bellow the string
but you'll get more attack and avoid hurting yourself,
at least temporarily. smile.gif

Yes, i think this is what i need practice somehow and get used to. Thank you.
I automatically do this when i want to play with more attack, but i often use hybrid picked notes to avoid too much attack as played with a pick.

You use both technics quite often, you never got disturbed by this? Hm .. i guess you tapped that much over the years that you have calluses all over the fingertip smile.gif

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 8 2009, 03:02 PM) *
That tends to happen Andy if you tap a lot smile.gif I usually try to relax my hand for a day if I do tapping a lot previous day so calluses can go away. Warm water also helps to relax fingers and skin.

Warm water helps. I even tried to file the border/corner slightly with fine sandpaper laugh.gif
It's maybe just the period to develop useful calluses on the right hand. Just thought it's a bit annoying at the moment smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 8 2009, 03:26 PM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, bigger calluses are ok, but, what you want to try is to pick with edge of your nail. Or, with part of your finger and small part of the nail.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 8 2009, 04:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'd just "buff" out the callus with some fine sandpaper. Or......just don't tap...... tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 8 2009, 05:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 8 2009, 05:51 PM) *
I'd just "buff" out the callus with some fine sandpaper. Or......just don't tap...... tongue.gif laugh.gif

... so what i do now with all these tapping licks you have send me? .. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 8 2009, 05:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 8 2009, 05:19 PM) *
... so what i do now with all these tapping licks you have send me? .. laugh.gif

You were just supposed to LOOK at them and learn them by OSMOSIS.......not supposed to practice them...... tongue.gif laugh.gif

Good to hear you are working on some tapping Andy.....I look forward to seeing this in your playing.....\m/\m/

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 8 2009, 05:38 PM
Instructor
So Monte is getting you to become tapping monster ? Interesting tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 8 2009, 05:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 8 2009, 06:38 PM) *
So Monte is getting you to become tapping monster ? Interesting tongue.gif

Yes, he tried smile.gif ..

+Quote Post
Frederik
Jun 8 2009, 06:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
^^ biggrin.gif should work on that too, wanna be The legato-beast after listening to Guthrie

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 8 2009, 07:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 8 2009, 06:44 PM) *
Yes, he tried smile.gif ..

Just tried or we are going to see some tap videos soon ? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 8 2009, 09:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 8 2009, 08:43 PM) *
Just tried or we are going to see some tap videos soon ? laugh.gif

.. i played some tapped notes before .. sloppy, but tapped laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 8 2009, 10:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 8 2009, 03:13 PM) *
You use both technics quite often, you never got disturbed by this? Hm .. i guess you tapped that much over the years that you have calluses all over the fingertip smile.gif

Yeah, I believe so, I did lot of tapping back in years
so I guess it helped me a lot to avoid calluses from hybrid. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 11 2009, 11:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I guess once your calluses develop fully you won't have picking problems smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:26 AM