Been Damaged By To Many Tabs?, Need help restarting my training
Wilska
Jun 10 2009, 11:12 PM
GMC:er
I had an irritating revelation today. Tabs have ruined my guitar playing. I started playing with tabs and then kept playing to them (guitarpro) because it was easy to retune songs so I could play along. My skills have developed and also my ear, I can learn songs by ear (tho not as easy or fast as I would like). But now I wonder if anyone has any pointers/tips on where to basicly start over. Should I just start playing to songs "for real" and try to learn more songs by ear? I need a way to develop my confidence in my playing. I can play some very hard stuff but I sometimes get stuck when I try to improvise or come up with own ideas. I know some theory but not enough I think.

What would you guys say are the most important areas to develop a good basic tone, feel and creativity?
I can play some fast things, but I have played with other people and been like "man, that guy can strum the most wicked, evil G chord i've ever heard. And he does the same things as me!"

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Jun 10 2009, 11:22 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I think you just need to really LISTEN to your playing. So you also can strum a wicked and evil G chord, as you said. Just sit and play anything you know, or even better, come up with your own stuff, whatever, just noodle around and listen to your tone and the feel of what you're playing. Try playing it and testing playing it in different ways, til it sounds as you want it to sound. That's what I did and still do. Anyway, that's my advice to you, I hope it helps smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 11 2009, 12:09 AM
Instructor
Just be patient and practice practice practice. It will come soon. Learn the theory, it will help you greatly, that's the best advice I can give you man, and it's true.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jun 11 2009, 08:27 AM
Instructor
As i have said on several occasions. You cannot escape yourself. As guitarists we hear ourselves play all the time. There is no escaping that. So just because you feel you arent learning and growing doesnt mean it is so.

For a long time i thought i was really crappy (i still was by some measure). But i hadnt had the oppurtunity to play with other people. Some guitarists in the area i looked up to. Every time i heard them play it was a blow to my ego. At one point though i played a gig in a band as a warm up act for one of them. The whole show was video taped and each of us got a copy.

When i went back and listened to it, my performance vs his i was astounded at how much cleaner and aggressive i was.

Just because you perceive yourself in a certain way dont take it at face value. Sometimes all you need is to see yourself from another angle. No matter what that might be.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Jun 11 2009, 12:43 PM
Instructor
Unfortunately you're always going to be your own worst critic. This is good though it just pushes you to do better.
Just remember you have a way of playing that's totally unique to you. Practice as much as possible... both your instrument and ear, and before you know it you'll have people lookin your way going man that guy can shred or strum that G!

Playing in different keys is quite important. So for a bit leave the transposing on guitar pro and try move around on the fretboard rather. Hope this helps!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 11 2009, 12:51 PM
Instructor
I suggest transcribing and analyzing music as much as you can.
Learn why certain artists do things in a certain way. What are they using as arranging hooks and tricks, what kind of scales and modes do they used frequently, what kind of rhythm and phrasing do they use, how are their tunes developed etc
You can really learn a lot by transcribing and playing everything in your instrument. Luckily for us we have programs such as Guitar Pro or DAW's where you can have whole orchestra play certain arrangements. It automatically allows you to hear back what you have in your head and on paper. In my opinion this is what you need to work on most (ear training, harmony theory, arranging analysis) besides regular guitar playing (repertoire learning , technique study).

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wilska
Jun 11 2009, 09:58 PM
GMC:er
Thank you all, you're responses were all great and I think you're all correct =)
I've already started transcribing stuff on my own today and as commented I will try to really listen to myself more closely. Thanks for the input, really appreciate it

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 11 2009, 10:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would recommend including ear training in your daily practice routine. You can do that by singing notes when you are practicing scales/intervals. Good trick is to try to sing the next note before playing it to see if you can get it right. Its pretty simple to include this training along with scales study and it will mean a lot to you. Also try transcribing more. Regarding improvisation, it just needs a lot of work and practice... Just take some solo lessons, learn the theory behind and then practice improvising over the backings. In time your phrases will start to sound good. Regarding good guitar tone, I would recommend trying to set up the good tone with less gear. If you have a good amp, don't go to the multi effects processor unit, rather go straight from guitar to amp and set your clean/distortion there. Try not to have loads of any effect (chorus, delay) etc on because it may sound cool at first but it will kill your tone and it won't make you original sounding just because of them. Less is more. Explore and one day you will just hear and develop your own tone/style.

Cheers

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:30 AM