7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reality Of Being A Guitar Player
Alex Feather
Oct 21 2012, 09:57 PM
Instructor
Hi guys I wanted to share a story with you that happened today I got a call from a manager of a very big band so they want to hire me but there is a catch I have until march to get 6 pack, retouch my tats and get a new haircut smile.gif
This would be probably the biggest gig in my career yet but it's a lot of work in a short period of time I will do my best to pull it off:) they don't even want me to learn songs or do an audition!
It's not news for me but being a good guitar player is not enough what you guys think about the situation and what would you do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BedroomBozo
Oct 22 2012, 07:44 AM
GMC:er
That's... interesting. You have to get a 6-pack? What is it? A boy band?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 22 2012, 09:19 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Afraid the reality of the music industry is that there is an obsession with visual image/looks just like you say Alex.

It even extends to us engineers. I know one who lost work because the 'talent' thought he looked to old. The engineer has thirty years professional experience.

You see a lot of photos of engineers sitting in front of big analogue consoles/desks in a studio. If you check though some of those engineers don't actually own the equpment or work in the studio in the photo. They do it becuase people want to see us infront of equipment that looks impressive.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2012, 11:57 AM
Instructor
Alex, my 2 cents on this - getting a 6 pack will never ever harm you in any way, but it's something which YOU have to do because you are convinced you want it, not because some big hiney producer/ manager wants it smile.gif I for one am working on my 6 pack because I WANT that. If this contract would make a big change in your life AND if you won't forget your principles in life, go for it. But if you have alternatives, never go for what's contrary to what you have believed and felt so far.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 22 2012, 12:49 PM
Instructor
I say go for it, Alex. If it's going to give you something that is putting you where you want to be in life then don't let a few extra tasks get in your way. That's only if you want to do it, of course !

As for abs, it's always good to remember that we already have abs.. we don't gain abs. They just become visible when we lose the extra baggage around it. I haven't ever seen mine yet but maybe one day ! tongue.gif

If it was what I wanted, I would do whatever it takes.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Oct 22 2012, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Oct 22 2012, 04:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 22 2012, 01:49 PM) *
As for abs, it's always good to remember that we already have abs.. we don't gain abs. They just become visible when we lose the extra baggage around it. I haven't ever seen mine yet but maybe one day ! tongue.gif

If I was offered a job, that required a six pack, that would be a great motivation to work out. I don't see my abs either.

I don't know about the other things. I don't think I would get a tattoo to join (I don't have any).

What kind of hair cut do you need?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 22 2012, 04:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Oct 22 2012, 04:10 PM) *
What kind of hair cut do you need?

Yeah, good question ! smile.gif

I can't imagine ever joining a band that require my hair to be shorter ! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2012, 05:20 PM
Instructor
Hey mate, this sound like good new for me. It's a truth that image is very important in the music industry, every music style has its stereotypes so this sounds normal to me.

I would go for it mate!! I'm curious to know which band you are talking about! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 22 2012, 05:31 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
It sure sounds weird and I'd really like to know what kind of band it is. But I'd also say go for it. I might join you when it comes to the six pack thingy laugh.gif

What exactly does "retouch your tats" mean? Do you have to laser them off? Or redo them so they look like new?

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 22 2012, 05:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Steel Panther?

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Oct 22 2012, 05:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (korblitz @ Oct 22 2012, 06:33 PM) *
Steel Panther?

MANOWAR biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 22 2012, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Oct 22 2012, 04:37 PM) *
MANOWAR biggrin.gif

^ That makes a lot more sense.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 22 2012, 06:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 22 2012, 05:31 PM) *
What exactly does "retouch your tats" mean? Do you have to laser them off? Or redo them so they look like new?

Christian

I think it means get them re inked so they look fresh smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 22 2012, 06:23 PM

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 22 2012, 07:09 PM) *
I think it means get them re inked so they look fresh smile.gif

Perhaps something like this? rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Oct 22 2012, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 22 2012, 08:54 PM
Instructor
Retouch means redo the tats with fresh ink
It's not Manowar I will let you know what it is when it will go through

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2012, 09:46 PM
Instructor
I'm curious about what band we are talking about Alex biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 23 2012, 12:17 AM
So it's Steel Panther?

+Quote Post
BedroomBozo
Oct 23 2012, 01:24 AM
Man, when I started playing in the early 90's it would have been the opposite! You would have been coerced into looking uglier and definitely would not want to have a 6 pack. Even if you did have one it would be covered in baggy sweaters and flannel ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 23 2012, 06:55 AM
Instructor
Haha! Guys! You won't believe this! I dreamed that Alex showed us a list of songs that band had, in order for us to guess the band. The first one was 'Chop Suey' - So I guess we all know what band plays that song and it would be NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING if it were that band biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 23 2012, 08:26 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 22 2012, 09:54 PM) *
Retouch means redo the tats with fresh ink
It's not Manowar I will let you know what it is when it will go through

Primal Fear? huh.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Oct 23 2012, 08:26 AM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:04 AM