Flamenco Guitar style
S|4sh
Aug 7 2006, 08:52 PM
GMC:er
I have a question about flamenco theory. I know that if your play an E progression you use A harmonic minor scale to solo over it to make it sound spanishy. Now why is this? And if i had a A progression would i use D harmonic minor scale to solo over it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tank
Aug 8 2006, 08:40 AM
GMC Veteran
Heya,

If we take the normal modes, the Phrygian mode is the one that sounds "Spanishy". E Phrygian has the notes E, F, G, A, B, C, D. A natural minor contains the same notes A, B, C, D, E, F, G. No sharps or flats.

Here's the important bit. The note "G" in E Phrygian means that it is a minor scale. There are also some other features of the scale that makes it sound "spanish". E-F, is a semitone at the start of the scale, this is unusual to our ears. B-C is a minor 6th, which makes it sound minor, and D-E, outlines a minor 7th, which again is minor.

When we take A harmonic minor A, B, C, D, E, F, G#, and use it in the context of E -- E, F, G#, A, B, C, D. This has all the traits of E Phrygian, it sounds minor, but the G# makes it a major scale. So when we are listening to the notes, we hear a load of minor tonalities, and then suddenly, once you land on a G#, it flips in your head to a major, which makes it stand out so much.

And yes, if you use D harmonic minor over A, you will get exactly the same.

I hope I'm not making this worse by making it more confusing!!

/Tank

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:10 PM