2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Medfish Composing First Approach
Madfish
Aug 25 2013, 02:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Daylight recording on bridge pickup:

Yes, the tone is another problem of mine. I've tried different LePou amp simulations with LeCab/Kefir loading Catharsis impulses without any luck. It all sounds very "electronic" for me. Definitely not like demo youtube recordings.

This is Amplitube Marshal simulation.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Madfish
Aug 27 2013, 12:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've done some work on getting some metal tone from my guitar. Here is a sample:
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/distorted-sound-test

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 28 2013, 09:11 AM
Instructor
Mad...I'm afraid the main problem is not enough power from You right hand. I think this is one of the reasons You can't get the sound You want from some amp simulations that You know work well for some other people. Before going to the LePou and Impulse set up You have to make Your best shot choosing guitar and adjusting Your playing. This is where the 70 % of tone is. The more gain You give from the hand, the less You need to add on the amp - this profits with lower noise level and much tighter tone / attack.

When You play powerchords (not muted ones) You can play it using whole arm, wrist, hand...like playing normal chords. Also I found many times that the strength we give to play at distortion is like raping the guitar (it would sound ugly on the clean tone) but it works.

At Your current "out of hand" signal level I could say that when You'll think You play hard then still play a bit harder.

There are of course exceptions form this rule but basicly this is the main issue in Your case. I know it's a bit hard to understand until You'llfind on Your own butsince then You have to trust me smile.gif It's very hard to describe what "hard" means...would be much easier in real life to see You and tell things like "a bit more" while You play and very easy to show the proper strength just by takig Your guitar on the same amp settings.

But we can try to do this online. The problem with electric guitar is that the dynamics for a clean tone are a bit different then in case of distortion. When You play on the guitar while it's unplugged, You might think that You already play hard enough...but the truth is...when You plug to the amp and use a strength amount that makes guitar sound good on this amp....the same guitar will sound ugly on the clean tone or just unplugged.

Also this tempo is a bit to small for circle picking. This technique is good for a "turbo" motion but You should be able to play "wrist-only" in this tempo. Make wider movements and push the pick into the strings a bit more.

+Quote Post
Madfish
Aug 28 2013, 05:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wow. I must admit, you have opened my eyes (ears?).

I set my chain of VSTs to a boosted SoloC.
Attached Image

I tried putting more power into my right hand movements. Is this going in the right direction? It definitely sounds better than previous gentle strikes. Obviously, long hours of practice are needed.
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/distorted2

I also allowed myself to peek into Sam's mixing thread and compared my bare guitar signal to the one you posted.
Attached Image
I noticed that my signal (lower track) gets muted very quickly after the initial punch. Yours looks completely different. It also sounds way better on the same VST setup. Would that rather be poor technique or gear ... or both? wink.gif

I record via PreSonus Audiobox. Could it be a problem with the guitar then?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 28 2013, 10:37 PM
Instructor
I'm very glad You wanted to try Sam's thread smile.gif Indeed that's partly same issue smile.gif Solo C LeCto, TSE X50 those are amps that have some extra amount of attack / brightness. You can use them if You're sure they fit Your mix but they are not good as a reference for "do I play hard enough" and "do I ange my pick enough" and " is my guitar bright enough for that kind of playing". Those are 3 basic reasons if that kind of playing doesn''t sound the way You like. Try to chalange LeXTAC. You will hear how the tone gets muddy and overcompresse on the highe gain settings. Try to lower the gain, find the angle and try to make sound good without that booster.

This is only for exercises purpose...As I sad...We can use any amp sim if it fits the mix but we need to try some harder amps for practicing so You could feel very comfortable on those, who are simplier to play

+Quote Post
Madfish
Aug 29 2013, 04:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 28 2013, 09:37 PM) *
playing doesn''t sound the way You like. Try to chalange LeXTAC. You will hear how the tone gets muddy and overcompresse on the highe gain settings. Try to lower the gain, find the angle and try to make sound good without that booster.

This is only for exercises purpose...As I sad...We can use any amp sim if it fits the mix but we need to try some harder amps for practicing so You could feel very comfortable on those, who are simplier to play

Is that any good?
Amp settings:
Attached Image
Recording:
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/lextac

My fingers hurt as if I was playing guitar first time in my life biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Madfish: Aug 29 2013, 04:17 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 29 2013, 05:26 PM
Instructor
ha ha ha biggrin.gif Sometimes it hurts biggrin.gif You can add some more gain like 1 o clock and please play the same metal rhythm You did before smile.gif Waiting for the file smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Aug 31 2013, 09:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 29 2013, 04:26 PM) *
ha ha ha biggrin.gif Sometimes it hurts biggrin.gif You can add some more gain like 1 o clock and please play the same metal rhythm You did before smile.gif Waiting for the file smile.gif

Aye aye. Gain set to 1 o'clock.
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/lextac-1

This post has been edited by Madfish: Aug 31 2013, 09:54 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 31 2013, 12:17 PM
Instructor
Thaks for quick response wink.gif Very good smile.gif Now You have some reference point of how hard to play andalso we got some unfortunately bad information - You guitar is very dark sounding itselft. It can be party compensate with the TSE 808 TREBLE BOOST (the one You used before) but the brighter the guitar is, the less treble boost is needed and it keeps better low end and noise level. You probably noticed how boosting treble adds some noise. I want You to try tse x50. It's one of the best free amps in case of working with muddy guitars. Very often it doesn't need treble booster before amp sim. I would like to hear how it sounds with Your guitar. Also please go back to trying LeCto with booster and send me the results after we made clear some aspects of playing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Sep 1 2013, 12:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sure thing. Will keep practising on LeCto and come back with some more samples soon.
In the meantime, is there anything I could/should do regarding my guitar to brighten it up? Buy a new one? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 1 2013, 08:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Madfish @ Sep 1 2013, 11:57 AM) *
Sure thing. Will keep practising on LeCto and come back with some more samples soon.
In the meantime, is there anything I could/should do regarding my guitar to brighten it up? Buy a new one? smile.gif

You have always two choices:

1. Deal with it - try to compensate lack of treble by adjusting the treble boosters, amps etc

2. Buy a new guitar - no matter how many pickups You'll try or how many settings. Playing You would like to master need guitar with good attack. This will always help You to get more attack without artificial treble boost and at the same time will help to avoid neddles noise etc. Well choosen guitar will sound the way You like on many amps with no additional devices. Otherwise it's always a hard job to fit the tone.

Being in Your shoes I would consider dinding different instrument. Keep in mind that more expensive doesn't always mean better. It could cost the same as You current guitar but it has to be brigther. Maybe something wih thinner body ad maple top?

+Quote Post
Madfish
Sep 1 2013, 09:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, I'll make a tour around the shops and try a few. That brings up another question - how would you define dark and bright tone? I was looking for some comparison samples, but no success. Muddy = dark?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 2 2013, 08:53 AM
Instructor
Be aware of the samples. They can lead You nowhere. Start from borrowing instruments from Your friends. I usually use some trust worth amp sim or real amps. LeXTAC is very good for this. It's a "fat" sounding amp when You set high distortion. The sound is blurry but just because of this You will hear when the guitar itself makes it more blurry or if the attack is short and present.

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 20 2013, 10:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Darius,
Went with the option 2 and bought myself a new guitar - Mayones Setius GTM. I think I'm in love biggrin.gif
Here is the same metal piece on the brand new axe:
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/new-axe/s-bw1Z8

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 20 2013, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Much cleaner now! Congrats on Your new axe! Is it the one You mentioned in the PM ?smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 21 2013, 08:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 20 2013, 09:59 PM) *
Much cleaner now! Congrats on Your new axe! Is it the one You mentioned in the PM ?smile.gif

Yes, that is the one. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 21 2013, 08:12 AM
Instructor
Great! smile.gif Now let's try to add a bit more gain to see how it works. This one should handle more gain while keeping the clarity smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 30 2013, 12:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 21 2013, 07:12 AM) *
Great! smile.gif Now let's try to add a bit more gain to see how it works. This one should handle more gain while keeping the clarity smile.gif

Hey. Here is a try with gain cranked up a bit.
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/metal-rhythm-right-hand

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 30 2013, 11:35 AM
Instructor
We should work a bit on Your right hand - try to make more equal, maybe a bit wider movements to get better timming with those 16th notes wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:08 PM