Scary Places ?
Ben Higgins
Sep 11 2011, 11:03 AM
Instructor
We often talk about travelling to new places here on GMC but sometimes certain cities or areas can be quite intimidating.. maybe the vibe of the city, threat of danger.. or maybe it's just a spooky sort of place..

Have you visited any places that were quite scary and made you feel uncomfortable ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 11 2011, 02:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 11 2011, 11:03 AM) *
We often talk about travelling to new places here on GMC but sometimes certain cities or areas can be quite intimidating.. maybe the vibe of the city, threat of danger.. or maybe it's just a spooky sort of place..

Have you visited any places that were quite scary and made you feel uncomfortable ?

when I used to live in california, I never liked driving through compton( in the day) never at night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc_SgpyJWRY

at the end of this video , the man that saved him was asked why him, his responnse, he's white

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Sep 11 2011, 02:22 PM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 11 2011, 02:31 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Bangkok was pretty scary for the first few hours when I first got there...all that traffic, you don't understand a word, and many people walk up to you trying to sell you something. But after a couple of hours, I got used to it and everything was fine. So nothing dangerous (except for the trafiic), but more the vibe of the city.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 11 2011, 04:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 11 2011, 02:18 PM) *
when I used to live in california, I never liked driving through compton( in the day) never at night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc_SgpyJWRY

at the end of this video , the man that saved him was asked why him, his responnse, he's white

Man, that's horrible... no other words really ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 11 2011, 02:31 PM) *
Bangkok was pretty scary for the first few hours when I first got there...all that traffic, you don't understand a word, and many people walk up to you trying to sell you something. But after a couple of hours, I got used to it and everything was fine. So nothing dangerous (except for the trafiic), but more the vibe of the city.

Yeah I can imagine it to be very intimidating. You gotta watch yourself when you're an obvious tourist in a strange land mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 11 2011, 05:48 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Yeah, and it's really like they see if you are really new to the city or not. When I returned to Bangkok 5 weeks later (after going to NZL) I walked through the city with much more confidence, I knew where I wanted to go and how I would get there and a lot less people tried to sell me stuff or wanted to be my guide wink.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 11 2011, 08:02 PM
Instructor
Tunisia, Sousse. The old part of town, Medina. During the day a lot of tourists who walk around there, but at night that place turns into a dangerous area, full of robbers,scums who don't choose a means to rob you - and I did not know that!!! The waiter from the nearby restaurants ran after us and warned us in a last minute ! I can't even think about what would happen if.. !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Sep 11 2011, 09:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 11 2011, 09:02 PM) *
Tunisia, Sousse. The old part of town, Medina. During the day a lot of tourists who walk around there, but at night that place turns into a dangerous area, full of robbers,scums who don't choose a means to rob you - and I did not know that!!! The waiter from the nearby restaurants ran after us and warned us in a last minute ! I can't even think about what would happen if.. !

Yes, I must admit Hammamet Tunisia was like that to 13 years ago, when I was there.
A kid on a bike robbed my cap from my head in the middle of the day,
and you didn't want to go outside alone or even in small groups at night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 12 2011, 04:53 AM
Instructor
I remember driving through some desolated area in Colombia a few years ago which was known to be controlled by guerrilla forces! I was REALLY scared! so I drove as quick as I could to get the hell out of there! that was in 1999-2000 when the situation was really worrying.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2011, 05:32 AM
Instructor
There are many scary places here in my city... mostly at night. There is many bad people out there so you don't have to stay in those places, otherwise someone could steal you.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 12 2011, 09:00 AM
Instructor
Wow, guys, you've really been to some dodgy places ! ohmy.gif

One thing I've always tried to avoid is 'looking like a tourist'. You can spot tourists because they are the ones walking slowly and looking around them at everything with wide eyes.

I once read a piece of advice that said when you go to a foreign country, pick up one of their local newspapers from the airport. If people think you are either local, or visit often, or know the language, they are more likely to choose another target.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 12 2011, 09:00 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2011, 11:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 12 2011, 08:00 AM) *
Wow, guys, you've really been to some dodgy places ! ohmy.gif

One thing I've always tried to avoid is 'looking like a tourist'. You can spot tourists because they are the ones walking slowly and looking around them at everything with wide eyes.

I once read a piece of advice that said when you go to a foreign country, pick up one of their local newspapers from the airport. If people think you are either local, or visit often, or know the language, they are more likely to choose another target.

Good advice mate! Well, I've never been in such a situation before, but I helped overturn one for a french couple a 2 weeks ago smile.gif Here's how it went:

I was in the railway station waiting to be picked up for a festival I had to play with a friend's band and I was looking at the taxi drivers who were trying to pick up foreigners and 'legally' rob them of as much money as possible as an exchange for a trip to the hotel. There was this big dude - taxi driver - who was able to speak a few words in english and he was desperately trying to sway the french couple to ride with him. He noticed me and asked if i was speaking french. I said yes, and gathering up all my wits, accent and frenchie knowledge I told them to take a bus because it's cheaper and A LOT safer smile.gif they were very happy and we started joking about the silly big guy who was laughing as well - without understanding a word of course smile.gif))) I was happy I could do a good deed for the poor folks who would've most surely payed about 20-30 euros for a ride who was about 2-3 euros at MOST smile.gif

So, here's how our seaside biggest city, turned as a weird spot for the foreign tourists smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 13 2011, 12:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 13 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Good advice mate! Well, I've never been in such a situation before, but I helped overturn one for a french couple a 2 weeks ago smile.gif Here's how it went:

I was in the railway station waiting to be picked up for a festival I had to play with a friend's band and I was looking at the taxi drivers who were trying to pick up foreigners and 'legally' rob them of as much money as possible as an exchange for a trip to the hotel. There was this big dude - taxi driver - who was able to speak a few words in english and he was desperately trying to sway the french couple to ride with him. He noticed me and asked if i was speaking french. I said yes, and gathering up all my wits, accent and frenchie knowledge I told them to take a bus because it's cheaper and A LOT safer smile.gif they were very happy and we started joking about the silly big guy who was laughing as well - without understanding a word of course smile.gif))) I was happy I could do a good deed for the poor folks who would've most surely payed about 20-30 euros for a ride who was about 2-3 euros at MOST smile.gif

So, here's how our seaside biggest city, turned as a weird spot for the foreign tourists smile.gif

Hey, good work smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:11 PM