4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Anyone Good At Webdesigning?, for my homepage
Oxac
Sep 4 2008, 02:41 PM
GMC:er
So guys, I'm currently trying to get a website up and running for my project (check my practice agenda).

http://www.aj-pickups.com

This is what I have so far. I want YOUR input and everyone's opinion as I make progress and add things to it. Any tips or critisism is very welcome.

"AJ"

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 4 2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Looks good so far Oxac! Cool logo biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 4 2008, 02:56 PM
There isn't much to comment on lol. Unless it isn't showing up on my PC. Is it just a big logo and background? Just remember the crucial aspects of web design. Keep it simple, keep it professional and keep it sensible (colours etc.)

I do like the logo tongue.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Sep 4 2008, 02:57 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 4 2008, 03:55 PM
Yea, I'm just getting started.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 4 2008, 06:27 PM
Added a menu, not completely finished with it. I'm gonna try give the boxes some "drop shadow". This stuff is fun biggrin.gif

-EDIT- after a series of unsuccessful attempts I decided to drop the whole, drop shadows thing. Too much code.

This post has been edited by Oxac: Sep 4 2008, 06:39 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 4 2008, 08:30 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Looks nice so far smile.gif

If you give me some time (As I have too many things on my schedule atm, and my computers not working as it should dry.gif ) I can probably help you out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 4 2008, 09:39 PM
Yaay! That's very generous of you Audiopaal. The thing with me is... I can make it look awesome, but... it takes so much of my time. Lately I've been trying to really get this project going, so the last week (including school time) I've been "working" 14 h+ a day. Slept for like 4 hours every night.

The website isn't the only thing that takes time, bwah... just so much I've got to do now so I can relax later. When everyone's stressed out I'm just gonna wire some pickups and have a good time. But it's updated again. (Final for tonight) going to go to bed early.

Thanks for your support!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 4 2008, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Sep 4 2008, 10:39 PM) *
Yaay! That's very generous of you Audiopaal. The thing with me is... I can make it look awesome, but... it takes so much of my time. Lately I've been trying to really get this project going, so the last week (including school time) I've been "working" 14 h+ a day. Slept for like 4 hours every night.

The website isn't the only thing that takes time, bwah... just so much I've got to do now so I can relax later. When everyone's stressed out I'm just gonna wire some pickups and have a good time. But it's updated again. (Final for tonight) going to go to bed early.

Thanks for your support!

Only glad to be of help smile.gif
I'm waiting for some new parts for my computer, and when I get those I have a few logos to design.
But after that, in a week +, I'll be able to help you out with the webpage if you want smile.gif

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 4 2008, 10:40 PM
GREAT! Logos are the hardest part for me, I'm pretty sharp with html/css but when it comes to drawing up logos and such... oh man. I can't get done very good, I can get it ok and a little cartoonish but no profesionally.. no way.

Really appreciate it!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 5 2008, 10:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
Looks great =)
It's really comfortable for the eyes to watch, which is great biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 5 2008, 06:30 PM
I just realized that with all the absolute position and sizing in pixels I've created a site that doesn't run properly on different resolutions. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 5 2008, 10:40 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Looks good for start..But if you don't have much time for editing it...maybe you want to consider installing a CMS system like Joomla or something similar...Can get you very good results with minimum effort.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 5 2008, 10:54 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 5 2008, 11:40 PM) *
Looks good for start..But if you don't have much time for editing it...maybe you want to consider installing a CMS system like Joomla or something similar...Can get you very good results with minimum effort.

Thanks for the tip, but I like having full control, and that's what I benefit from using notepad.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 6 2008, 02:32 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Oxac @ Sep 5 2008, 05:54 PM) *
Thanks for the tip, but I like having full control, and that's what I benefit from using notepad.

+1 for notepad! Most tools add so much rubbish in with the HTML that if you ever look at it by hand it is incomprehensible - a lot more fun to code by hand smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 6 2008, 10:59 AM
Exactly Andrew. What I have now is less than an A4 with codes (including CSS and if you skipp all unnecessary spaces etc.) and I've got those round buttons using boxes in CSS also. When using the menu above you will only load the lower window which consist of a table and an Iframe. Meaning I can (with minimum effort) put a sub menu at the side, which loads the Iframe which means that I can have one .htm doc for every new category with scripts and one .htm doc only with text. I'm not sure whether I've would been able to do that as cleanly as I have now, if I would have been using an html editor such as frontpage etc.

This post has been edited by Oxac: Sep 6 2008, 11:00 AM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 6 2008, 01:13 PM
Looks cool in design terms smile.gif The only thing I'd do dofferently is pull the CSS out in to a separate file, so you don't have to duplicate the styles (e.g. the body style) in all of your sub-pages.

Where this all gets really interesting is when you start to build the pages dynalically server side (I favor perl or ruby), you can then build the page as an entire unit using templates and there is no need for frames (which are always a little cumbersome) - of course for a simple static application this is overkill,. but it sure is fun, expecially when you get into automatically genmerated Javascript!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 6 2008, 05:57 PM
Andrew, yeah you can almost read my mind. What I'm doing is I design the site first in pixels (easy for me to get everything cool!) then I transpose it into percentage. Now, my next step is to move everything into extern CSS files. I'm also wondering if you have anyway of transposing the top menu to %?

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 9 2008, 09:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeah notepad ruls! I also use Vim editor for html stuff - http://vim.sourceforge.net/ (basically more advanced notepad) smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 10 2008, 01:04 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 9 2008, 04:51 PM) *
Yeah notepad ruls! I also use Vim editor for html stuff - http://vim.sourceforge.net/ (basically more advanced notepad) smile.gif

Arrghh! Vi! I'm an Emacs man myself (although I can use vi when I have to ...)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 10 2008, 01:14 PM
I'm more of a Wii type of guy myself tongue.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:58 PM