2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Si Lick Of The Day – January 2008 - Selected Licks
Velvet Roger
Jan 1 2009, 11:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Guys,

In this thread, I will post each day a selected SI Lick of the Day from those submitted in the Entries thread.

I would also like to ask you all to contribute with new licks (otherwise we run out of licks before the weekend ohmy.gif ), as currently we only have one active provider of licks (not counting myself), and we certainly could build a nice members lick database. I know you all have discovered some nice licks, and posting one doesn't take too much effort smile.gif.

Finally, it would be nice if we could keep this thread as clean as possible, in order for members to easily scroll through the licks during the month.

Thanks!

-----------------------

So here is the first one:

SI Lick of the Day - 1st of January 2009

Submitted by: LCSDDS

This is a tapped string skipping lick based on B minor pentatonic. Uses alot of left hand hammers so be sure to mute with your right hand and your left hand index finger where possible. This lick is phrased in quintuplets or groups of 5. The ascending portion uses a five note pattern and is pretty easy to play in time. The descending portion is a 4 note grouping but phrased in quintuplets so it is a little trickier to play in time. Kind of a cool sound because you get a rhythmic displacement thing going on.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_010109.gp5 ( 2.68K ) Number of downloads: 142

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 2 2009, 11:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 2nd of January 2009

This is based on the F# minor pentatonic with the exception of the G# at the very start of the lick. The first bar is what I have heard called "turbo tapping". You are basically tapping and hammering the same fret. I still can't do it as clean as I would like but I tried my best biggrin.gif The rest of the lick is just a descending run and the whole phrase is 16th triplets. As always with tapping, muting is key.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_020109.gp5 ( 2.62K ) Number of downloads: 135

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 3 2009, 12:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 3rd of January 2009

Submitted by: Tolek

Pentatonic Tapping Lick

This lick uses the simple A Pentatonic scale (except from the B on the low E string). You can use it as an ending lick of your solo in a jam, for instance.

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 3 2009, 12:21 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 4 2009, 12:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 4th of January 2009

Submitted by: Playaxeman

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_040109.MP3 ( 271.69K ) Number of downloads: 217

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 5 2009, 03:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 5th of January 2009

Submitted by: Tolek

Pentatonic Lick à la Paul Gilbert

This lick uses only the A Minor Pentatonic scale. When I had a jam with Paul Gilbert before his concert, he played a similiar lick. You can use it in jam sessions/guitar battles/warm up sessions.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 6 2009, 08:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 6th of January 2009

Submitted by: Playaxeman

Wah wah fast repeated lick.

I think Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton invented this repeating technique. Without the wah wah it also sounds cool. This lick is often used in rock songs.

I am doing this in Am pentatonic scale. I used the wah wah on my line6 POD XT Live

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_060109.MP3 ( 882.86K ) Number of downloads: 211

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 7 2009, 10:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 7th of January 2009

Submitted by:
LCSDDS

This one is Andy James style.

This is pretty much based on B minor pentatonic with a little B natural minor as well. This one uses some tapped slides as well as some string skipping. As always watch the muting, especially with the left hand "hammer-ons from nowhere". Have fun and let me know if you have any questions. Again, I'll lay off the tapping licks for awhile, biggrin.gif I just noticed alot of people on the forum said they wanted to work on their tapping so I thought I throw in my 2 cents. laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 8 2009, 11:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 8th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Playaxeman

Blues lick in Cmin pentatonic. (C, Eb,F,G,Bb, C)

The chord progression is: C////| F7//// | C////| F7//// | F7//// |C////|C////|G7////|| F7//// |

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_080109.MP3 ( 875.81K ) Number of downloads: 223

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 10 2009, 02:11 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 9th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Caelumamittendum

Gmaj7 and B minor arpeggio w/ tapping

This is a fairly simple lick including a Gmaj7 arpeggio and a Bmin arpeggio. You will see the first one being a 5-string arppegio, starting on F#-note on 9th fret of the A string, but due to its notes, which are B, D, F#, G, it actually spells out an Gmaj7 chord and arpeggio - it resembles the Gmaj7/B. The 7th being the F#, though we are actually starting on this note. The root of the Gmaj7 arpeggio doesn't come in before we start to descend with the arpeggio - it is at the very top tapped on the 15th fret on the E string, which is the G note in the arpeggiated chord.

Following this we have a slide from the 12th fret on the B string, which is the note B, to the 15th fret, note D. From the slide we start to spell out the Bmin arpeggio. First note in this new bar is the B note, next D and then F#, which is the three notes give you the B minor chord. After these three notes we have some string skipping from the E string to the G string, where we once again state the B minor arpeggio by playing the notes B (16th fret, G string), D (15th fret, B string) and F# (14th fret, E string). From here on we have the same tapping sequence as with the first arpeggio. It may look intimidating, but it's an easy way to incorporate tapping into your arpeggio playing. Here's a small explanation:

Notice how I make a hammer on, pull off, then hammer on and THEN tap. This allows me to get my hand to the fret I want to tap without having to move my picking hand there lightning fast. Before going back to the sweep of the arpeggio I have a pull off, hammer on and pull off on the E string again. This allows me time enough to get my picking hand back at its proper place.

The rest of the lick is fairly easy, and you should be able to get it by following the tabs.

SI Lick of the Day - 10th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Caelumamittendum

Cmin descending legato lick

This lick is fairly simple once you get the hang of it, but the picking pattern between the legato-ing might be a bit tricky untill you get it. You will notice that it is fairly sequenced (except for the first three notes), so once you get the hand of the sequence, you should have no problem at all.

The lick utilizises all notes of the C minor scale, which are: C, D Eb, F, G, Ab, and Bb. The lick starts on G on the 8th fret of the B string and ends on the root note C on the 8th fret of the low E string.

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 10 2009, 02:13 AM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 11 2009, 06:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 11th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Playaxeman

It is a melody a made a long time aga but now am able to tab it which makes it easer to use.
I think is called pavoting this technique.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_110109.MP3 ( 592.25K ) Number of downloads: 230

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 12 2009, 01:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 12th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Tolek

The Whole Tone Scale

The whole tone scale is a scale that has 6 notes which are separed by 3 semitones (Major 2nd). Try to find your own licks with this cool scale!

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 13 2009, 11:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 13th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Caelumamittendum

A complex yet simple tapping lick

This is a fairly simple tapping lick once you get the hang of it. I must admit this is a fairly old tapping lick that I came up with years ago, so I had some difficulties myself. When coming up with this, I remember thinking I wanted to apply a melody in both hands, which ending up giving me a left hand going between notes C, D and Eb on the g-string, while the right hand taps the notes F, G, Ab and Bb higher up the neck on the G-string.

You could potentially develop this lick to have other numbers of tapped notes by your right hand or hammered on notes in your left hand. You could try having 7 notes by your right hand (instead of 10 as by me) and still keep playing the C, D and Eb notes in your left hand. You will notice something interesting in your left hand then, when your tapped melody starts over.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 15 2009, 12:07 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 14th of January 2009

This lick is actually a complete ripoff of Muris laugh.gif laugh.gif I am sure that some of you are like me and would love to have Muris's alternate picking chops. My wife wants me to look like Brad Pitt too, but it ain't happening laugh.gif laugh.gif Anyways, I am working on Muris's Phrygian advanced lesson and the very last lick of the lesson is one of Muris's licks that gives both your left hand, because of the wide stretches, and your right hand, because of the alternate picking, a serious workout. Muris has no mercy on us poor mortals. laugh.gif laugh.gif I had to come up with something so I decided to tap the lick instead. Makes the fingering easier and it sounds smoother as well, if that is sound you are going for. Since this lick is from Muris's lesson it is straight C-Phrygian. I actually put a little "boost" on it and played it 5 bpm faster than the lesson. laugh.gif laugh.gif Thanks for the lick Muris biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

Monte

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 15 2009, 12:07 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_140109.gp5 ( 1.95K ) Number of downloads: 101

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 16 2009, 12:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 15th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Caelumamittendum

This is a simple run going from the 10th fret on the A string, note G to the 15th fret of of the B string, note D. It doesn't just go straight through the scale, but utilizes some different patterns to spice it up a bit. Notice how I don't use alternate picking, but ecomony picking for this.

S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S     W                  
E||--------------------------------------------------|--------------------||
B||--------------------------------------------------|--15----------------||
G||--------------------------11-14-12-11----------11-|--------------------||
D||--------------11-14-12-14-------------14-12-14----|--------------------||
A||--10-14-12-14-------------------------------------|--------------------||
E||--------------------------------------------------|--------------------||

Duration Legend
---------------
W - whole
H - half
Q - quarter
E - 8th
S - 16th
T - 32nd
X - 64th
. - note dotted
|-n-| - n-tuplets

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 17 2009, 02:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 16th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Plaxaxeman

Hi GMC

Here is my lick of the day.
It in Am

- It got some classic blues type lick
- a double stop lick
- fast Palm muted sequence lick

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_160109.gp5 ( 3.3K ) Number of downloads: 109
Attached File  SI_LOD_160109.MP3 ( 644.53K ) Number of downloads: 192

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 17 2009, 11:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 17th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Plaxaxeman

This is a fast rock lick:

First in legato style form the E string up to the G string.
Then going down in a sequence style end with a slide a bend o the 15 fret on the E-string

Played it a few time fast/ slow/ fast

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_170109.MP3 ( 563.67K ) Number of downloads: 182

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 18 2009, 01:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 18th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Matt23

Here we have a Paul Gilbert style string skipping lick in E minor. It is really two licks but they sound good played one after the other. The first part is an F# diminished arpeggio, in 16th triplets, followed by an 8th note. I play the first string legato, the next alternate picking, and the final one legato. This is something Paul does quite a lot in his runs. The second part is an Em arpeggio, in 16th triplets, followed by an 8th note. I follow the same picking pattern as before. This lick sounds best played in the last bar of a chord progression.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 19 2009, 11:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 19th of January 2009

Submitted by:
LCSDDS

This is another tapping lick based on F# minor and C# minor pentatonic. Kind of an EVH thing going on with the tapped slides and then an Andy James type string skipping ascending run at the end. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 20 2009, 11:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 20th of January 2009

Submitted by:
Caelumamittendum

A minor pentatonic lick across the neck

This lick is very much inspired by both Guthrie Govan and our very own Muris (jumping lessons). It's again a sequenced lick, which could actually be played in just your regular A-minor pentatonic position, but to spice things up I keep moving it up the neck. We end with a bend from G to A on the B-string.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_200109.MP3 ( 456.73K ) Number of downloads: 195

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 21 2009, 11:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
SI Lick of the Day - 21st of January 2009

Submitted by:
Velvet Roger

This bluesy riff is fully based on the A minor pentatonic scale with the use of some bass notes, combined with double stops and sliding (to get that bluesy feeling as well).

I have recorded a clean version and a distorted version:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_210109.gp5 ( 2K ) Number of downloads: 100

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 PM