2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Vibrato, Absolute Beginner Lesson, Post your questions here
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 09:19 AM
Instructor
Hello guys smile.gif

I will make another lesson about vibrato, and I want to cover as much as possible in this lesson.
If you have any questions or anything you want me to talk about in detail. Please post it here smile.gif

-Marcus

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
seagull
Jul 16 2008, 09:36 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jul 16 2008, 10:19 AM) *
Hello guys smile.gif

I will make another lesson about vibrato, and I want to cover as much as possible in this lesson.
If you have any questions or anything you want me to talk about in detail. Please post it here smile.gif

-Marcus

Well, if it's absolute beginners stuff, then you could talk about the relationship between vibrating the string up and down in a controlled manner. And also you could explain something about bending a note upwards and then adding vibrato and same for bending the string downwards and then adding vibrato.

You touched it in you vibrato lesson 3, in the main video, I think. But exactly the thing about which direction, up or down, you are bending the string in. Cuz we all know that you like to bend downwards from time to time. smile.gif

Just a thought, I'm not a beginner on this point, but those were some of the things I struggled with back then. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 09:49 AM
Instructor
Excellent! Thanks seagull smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jul 16 2008, 09:54 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Could you also cover a little about vibrato at the top of a bend? That gets me quite often especially when bending downward (toward my feet). Thanks!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 09:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jul 16 2008, 10:54 AM) *
Could you also cover a little about vibrato at the top of a bend? That gets me quite often especially when bending downward (toward my feet). Thanks!

Absolutely!

Thanks!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 16 2008, 10:03 AM
I have a lil problem with the typical Steve Vai Vibrato, you know he tends to circle on the strings when doing his vibrato which makes his vibrato sound pretty unique..
But I cannot make it somehow...do you have to do it clockwise or anti-clockwise or does this actually matter ?However it doesn't really sound nice when I am trying to do it - other Vibratos are fine though but I'd love to handle some Vai Style elements rolleyes.gif
Cheers

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 16 2008, 10:05 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 10:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nighthawk @ Jul 16 2008, 11:03 AM) *
I have a lil problem with the typical Steve Vai Vibrato, you know he tends to circle on the strings when doing his vibrato which makes his vibrato sound pretty unique..
But I cannot make it somehow...do you have to do it clockwise or anti-clockwise or does this actually matter ?However it doesn't really sound nice when I am trying to do it - other Vibratos are fine though but I'd love to handle some Vai Style elements rolleyes.gif
Cheers

I understand your question.
Yes, that kind of vibrato is a bit different. - I will include it in the lesson! Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 16 2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks a lot..I really appreciate that you want to create a lessons by asking your students their particular concerns on a topic/tecnique !!Very great...looking forward to that lesson biggrin.gif cya pal !

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 16 2008, 10:37 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Nighthawk @ Jul 16 2008, 11:30 AM) *
Thanks a lot..I really appreciate that you want to create a lessons by asking your students their particular concerns on a topic/tecnique !!Very great...looking forward to that lesson biggrin.gif cya pal !

I agree this is a very "interactive" way of doing it - we should have more of this! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 16 2008, 01:14 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jul 16 2008, 04:54 AM) *

+1 for this - an area of study for me too at the moment - I would also be interested in thoughts you have on speed of vibrato - I tend to synch my vibrato to the tempo of the song for certain bends, and if I do it in 16ths it sounds too slow and awful, so recently I am aiming for something like 16th triplet kind of speeds - wonder if you have anything to add to that ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 01:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 16 2008, 02:14 PM) *
+1 for this - an area of study for me too at the moment - I would also be interested in thoughts you have on speed of vibrato - I tend to synch my vibrato to the tempo of the song for certain bends, and if I do it in 16ths it sounds too slow and awful, so recently I am aiming for something like 16th triplet kind of speeds - wonder if you have anything to add to that ...

Yes, I'll add this to the list. Thanks Andrew! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jul 16 2008, 01:40 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 16 2008, 10:37 AM) *
I agree this is a very "interactive" way of doing it - we should have more of this! biggrin.gif

I agree...All as been said to what I need in this lesson, vibrato while bending mostly smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 16 2008, 02:00 PM
Well i made a topic yesterday about you know how to do vibrato properly and how to practice it so that would help me a great deal. Also how to get fast vibrato because i like the sound of it you know how guys like you and yngwie do it i think vai does it as well. And how you can use vibrato in an emotional sense and the different styles and stuff you know just lots of things

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jul 16 2008, 02:05 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm interested in precisely how the wrist action works in creating vibrato .... do you rotate the wrist through it's axis (especially on bends)?
This will be a very informative lesson. Thanks Marcus.

This post has been edited by Col Roberts: Jul 16 2008, 02:06 PM

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 16 2008, 02:06 PM
Same, i want to see exactly how someone moves their wrist is it outwards or clockwise i mean for all i know i could be trying something thats not necessary or too hard than it needs to be

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Noted. Thanks for your input steve25, Col Roberts and Rated Htr.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 16 2008, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Some practice examples with metronome on how to achieve a solid vibrato is welcome too. My 2 cents smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 16 2008, 07:36 PM
I'm interested in how to use it in solo's so it sounds subtle. You had this one lesson where you said that you first had to wait and then do the vibrato. I use it in my playing quite a lot now and I was hoping you have more of that kind of tips smile.gif

EDIT: But maybe that has too much to do with phrasing... ah well... I posted it now anyway.

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jul 16 2008, 07:37 PM

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jul 16 2008, 08:16 PM
I don't know if you're going to incorporate that in your lessons, but maybe you could give us a deeper look at your infamous bend/release/bends biggrin.gif I would also like to know what makes you choose if a vibrato is going to be fast and deep, slow and deep, fast and light etc. smile.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Great! biggrin.gif
Thanks Ivan, SonofDestiny and IDontWantMyUsername

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:35 PM