Scales - Patterns Or Notes?, Which is more important?
Shuma13
Jun 14 2011, 04:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello All,

I am working on learning the Pentatonc scale and associated patterns. As I was practicing last night I noticed that I was only focusing on the patterns not the notes. I can apply the patterns to the correct Major or Minor key, but other than the root note I am not focusing on the notes that are in the scale.

Which is more important to focus on while learning scales?

Thanks,
Brian S.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 14 2011, 04:58 PM
Instructor
I am afraid that I didn't understand the question. No matter - the one without the other doesn't go!
Can you give us a more concrete example or exercise, please ?!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 14 2011, 05:02 PM
GMC:er
The patterns are important if you want to be able to shred through something quickly, without having to spare a thought for where you're going next.

However, it's crucial to understand why those patterns work and how they can be used, and this wouldn't be possible by just studying their shapes. Rather than looking at the notes, I find that it's more important to look at the intervals, as it's many intervals that make up the scale/chord/song, it's the relationship between the notes.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2011, 05:45 PM
Instructor
I agree with Dark Dude. It's important to know the patterns perfectly but it's also important to understand the relationship between the notes. You don't have to know the name of the notes (however it would be great). This is the first step to the "following the chords" concept in improvisation. When I practice Pentatonics I try to see the chord and the scale as the same thing, so when I'm playing the scale I recognize which note belong to the chords and which ones don't.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jun 14 2011, 05:46 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2011, 07:50 PM
Instructor
Yes, Gab explained it nicely on Am chord vs Am pentatonic scale. It's not about only knowing the notes in the pentatonic pattern, it's about knowing the notes within chords. For the second thing, you might want to learn arpeggios.

I have a nice arpeggio series that covers 7 chord triad arps of C major key. Check it out:

Arpeggio Workshop Series

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Shuma13
Jun 15 2011, 04:28 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Everyone.

I am going to look into CAGED, intervals, and arpeggios.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2011, 04:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Shuma13 @ Jun 15 2011, 12:28 AM) *
Thanks Everyone.

I am going to look into CAGED, intervals, and arpeggios.

Great! keep us updated on how it is going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Shuma13
Jun 15 2011, 04:55 PM
Learning Roadie
I did some reading last night about CAGED and I was surprised that concept makes sense to me.

Now I need to work on learning it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2011, 05:24 PM
Instructor
yeah, it's a very helpful concept! Here I found a very good explanation...

http://www.cagedguitarsystem.net/

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jun 15 2011, 05:24 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2011, 09:21 AM
Instructor
hey mate smile.gif tonight at the videochat we'll discuss about improvisation in the pentatonic context as well as creating licks and singing solos - maybe it's interesting for you as well. See you around and check the front page schedule, the video chat is at 18.30 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:04 PM