2 Pages V   1 2 >  
String Lube
JTaylor
Jun 1 2012, 07:22 PM
Apprentice Roadie
There is this product that you can wipe on your strings to make them slick, to (supposedly) let your fingers move easier. Any of you use it? Is it any good or just a gimmick? I am only level 2 and 3, so should I not even be thinking about it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jun 1 2012, 07:49 PM
GMC:er
There used to be a product called fast fret ...for strings and fretboard.
I'm not sure if it still is around but i heard lots of good things about it...certainly not a gimmick but i never used it myself.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 1 2012, 07:50 PM
GHS Fast Fret is what you're looking for. Sure, if it's easier to play, why not? Worked fine for me when I used it a few years back. It seems to help in keeping your strings clean, too.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 1 2012, 07:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Fast fret is more of a cleaner than a lubricant.

There is this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CBR2074

I don't recommend it for anyone, though. When I used it, it seemed as though the strings made a LOT more noise.

You know that sound when you don't take your finger all the way off the string before you shift positions? Put your finger on the string without pressing down and slide up and down. Do you hear that noise? You will encounter it more often if you use that lubricant. Plus, it gunked up my strings and deadened the tone much faster. Maybe I just purchased a bad can, but I only used it that one time and I threw the rest of it away.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 1 2012, 08:47 PM
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 1 2012, 01:22 PM) *
There is this product that you can wipe on your strings to make them slick, to (supposedly) let your fingers move easier. Any of you use it? Is it any good or just a gimmick? I am only level 2 and 3, so should I not even be thinking about it?

Fast Fret makes sliding on the wound strings slicker. It is not a big deal to me, I am generally too lazy to put it on (although I just did on reading this thread). It is cheap, give it a try some time.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2012, 05:13 AM
I used to use FAST FRET all the time when I was working on longer scale runs and sliding. It really did help IMHO, eventually I found I didn't need it, but at first it really helped my fingers not get stuck and slide to find the right spot.

Todd

QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 1 2012, 02:22 PM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 2 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
I used GHS for about 5-6 years, until I started using Elixir strings which don't seem to need any lube at all because of that coating they have biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 2 2012, 07:03 PM
Instructor
I guess it's pretty cool if it works. I've never tried Fast Fret. Although I don't really like the idea of having to rely on an aid to help me play guitar.

I don't think you need it anyway Jon, you're gonna be tearing it up in no time and threatening our jobs ! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 2 2012, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 2 2012, 07:52 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Fast Fret is a resin, so its more for keeping life and tone in your strings, and to be honest it works pretty well. Made my strings last a good month longer than normal.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 08:26 PM
Instructor
I've been using it for years every day a few times!!! Works great! Usually spraying on the back part of my guitar neck! It makes it smooth and nice!
Great stuff!
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Alex Feather: Jun 2 2012, 08:27 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2012, 08:49 PM
Good point wink.gif A bit of spray on the neck can make almost any neck feel a bit better in the hand IMHO. It's not for everyone, but it can help the same way Bow Resin helps a violin. As you play, the fingers will grease up the strings naturally, and the neck. But a quick spray make a "dry" instrument a bit more playable.

Todd

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 2 2012, 03:26 PM) *
I've been using it for years every day a few times!!! Works great! Usually spraying on the back part of my guitar neck! It makes it smooth and nice!
Great stuff!
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jun 3 2012, 01:35 AM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 2 2012, 02:03 PM) *
I don't think you need it anyway Jon, you're gonna be tearing it up in no time and threatening our jobs ! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 3 2012, 10:41 AM
Instructor
I do remember someone once showing me that you could spray WD40 on the back of your guitar neck and your hand will whizz all over the place. But I never did it as it can't be good for either guitar or hand !!

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 3 2012, 10:49 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 2 2012, 06:03 PM) *
I guess it's pretty cool if it works. I've never tried Fast Fret. Although I don't really like the idea of having to rely on an aid to help me play guitar.

I agree with Ben here. I don't like the idea of playing fast because I spray my strings with a lube. Also doesn't it get your fingers all wet and yucky? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2012, 05:01 AM
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 3 2012, 05:49 AM) *
I agree with Ben here. I don't like the idea of playing fast because I spray my strings with a lube. Also doesn't it get your fingers all wet and yucky? biggrin.gif

It's really not going to make you play "faster" and that's not really the point. Much like violin players resin up their bow, playing a dry instrument, especially when your first learning or when your strings are dirty, can get in the way of your progress to be honest. Eventually, your fingers will be strong enough to slide, etc. even with gunky strings and a unfinished birds eye maple neck. But to be honest, until you reach that, there is nothing wrong with putting some resin on your bow.

The only thing that will make you play "faster" is practice.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 4 2012, 09:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 3 2012, 09:49 AM) *

Actually it makes my neck smoother and it dries out very fast so nothing is getting on the fingers!

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jun 4 2012, 09:56 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 3 2012, 05:41 AM) *
and your hand will whizz all over the place.

My hand will urinate? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 5 2012, 08:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 4 2012, 09:56 PM) *
My hand will urinate? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Stranger things have happened ! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 02:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 5 2012, 07:41 AM) *
Stranger things have happened ! tongue.gif

Lol! Never happened to me! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pourliver
Jun 12 2012, 11:51 PM
Sometimes, with some Fast Fret over your old strings can help with your accuracy. But IMO, it won't really make a difference. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pourliver: Jun 12 2012, 11:52 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:08 AM