2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Any Help?
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 11:59 AM
GMC:er
Ok hi biggrin.gif Im currently learning a song i need to play in 10th grade, i got alot of time on me, but how do i tune to drop D? is it some kind of way by watching on the tuner, or do i HAVE to do it by ear? if its by ear, im dead mellow.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock On!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Jun 10 2008, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 12:59 PM) *
Ok hi biggrin.gif Im currently learning a song i need to play in 10th grade, i got alot of time on me, but how do i tune to drop D? is it some kind of way by watching on the tuner, or do i HAVE to do it by ear? if its by ear, im dead mellow.gif

Just tune your low E string to D and there you go

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:02 PM
ooo ohmy.gif But... hmm. So its the only string i need to tune? are u sure? :/ Cus its a whole different sound on the other strings aswell biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 10 2008, 12:04 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
what song is it your trying to learn?

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:05 PM
Oh, its Stricken, by Disturbed biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 10 2008, 12:06 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 01:02 PM) *
ooo ohmy.gif But... hmm. So its the only string i need to tune? are u sure? :/ Cus its a whole different sound on the other strings aswell biggrin.gif

Yes he's sure. For drop D that you requested you tune the fat E string down to D.

If you have a floating tremolo the other strings will be affected aswell since they go out of tune. If that's what you're hearing as "different sound"

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:07 PM
Oh, k, Il try that, thx biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 10 2008, 12:08 PM
skimming about on the net for tabs this particular song is in Drop C tuning by the look of it

so your tuning will be C G C F A D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:11 PM
Im afraid my string is gonna break lol, do i make it tighter or more loose? i guess its tighter, cus loose doesnt make sence, but when i get to 5A it freaking feels like its gonna "boom" :/ Should i keep on tuning? or give up? tongue.gif

It is!? ... Thx smells, il try that after i try this. (stupid youtube instructor, cant even say the right tuning) xD

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 10 2008, 12:12 PM
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Im afraid my string is gonna break lol, do i make it tighter or more loose? i guess its tighter, cus loose doesnt make sence, but when i get to 5A it freaking feels like its gonna "boom" :/ Should i keep on tuning? or give up? tongue.gif

It is!? ... Thx smells, il try that after i try this. (stupid youtube instructor, cant even say the right tuning) xD

lose

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:14 PM
Sry micke i didnt get that ... Do you want me to loose the string, or lose the whole idea of the tuning? :S

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 10 2008, 12:16 PM
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 12:11 PM) *

I dont know the song but hunting around I found it in several places, they mainly say that the guitarist of that band normally uses Drop D tuning but on this particular song and a couple of others he used Drop C

As MickeM said, loosen the strings not tighten, hence "Drop" tuning smile.gif Drop C is very low, too flappy about for my taste laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 10 2008, 12:17 PM
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 01:14 PM) *
Sry micke i didnt get that ... Do you want me to loose the string, or lose the whole idea of the tuning? :S

Haha! Start with losening the strings. It's down tuning both the drop C and drop D.

For drop C you may want to concider really thick strings. When you realize that it may be the right time to lose the idea laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:22 PM
Im just using normal strings i got with the guitar.. well if the strings get cut off and i lose a finger (no, not loose the finger) then il blame u, k? ;P Wish me good luck biggrin.gif

Wait, does anyone here have MSN? .. i got a webcam,, so show me tongue.gif im confused

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 10 2008, 12:25 PM
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 01:22 PM) *
Im just using normal strings i got with the guitar.. well if the strings get cut off and i lose a finger (no, not loose the finger) then il blame u, k? ;P Wish me good luck biggrin.gif

Wait, does anyone here have MSN? .. i got a webcam,, so show me tongue.gif im confused

I'm glad to announce that I havn't got MSN, Yahoo, ICQ or any other chatprogram. biggrin.gif

But since you're planning to cut off your fingers with the strings it sounds to me you're still on the track of tightening them (which is wrong)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 10 2008, 12:26 PM
sorry mate, at work atm sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:28 PM
not tighening, chill biggrin.gif but omg, i loose it, then the tuner doesnt record a s***. its only liek "drrrrrr" i can hold the string like 5cm up in the air.

Edit for Language - Smells

This post has been edited by Smells: Jun 10 2008, 12:29 PM

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 10 2008, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 01:28 PM) *
not tighening, chill biggrin.gif but omg, i loose it, then the tuner doesnt record a s***. its only liek "drrrrrr" i can hold the string like 5cm up in the air.

I'm glad we're debating this, it helps your postcount. I recall you started out very well but then became a less frequent poster. biggrin.gif

If you can lift it 5 cm up in the air it's too much.

Tune back to normal. The E should just go down 4 steps
E->Eb->D->Db->C
or
E->D#->D->C#->C
(same thing, depending on what your tuner shows)

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 10 2008, 12:42 PM
ok, now i tuned it back to 6E ... like my tuner shows. But, maybe i should ise another calib? its a button i got on it, it goes 438, 440, 442, 444, and 446 i think, i got it on 442, like the manual says =/

i guess il just make my dad drive me to the instrument shop, and make the staff tune it for me biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 10 2008, 12:42 PM
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Jun 10 2008, 01:33 PM) *
ok, now i tuned it back to 6E ... like my tuner shows. But, maybe i should ise another calib? its a button i got on it, it goes 438, 440, 442, 444, and 446 i think, i got it on 442, like the manual says =/

Does the manual say 442? Should be 440.

If you have a selection for lower tuning, press it for two semitones lower.

Tune the entire guitar two steps down to DGCFAD

then tune the Estring (now D) down to C => CGCFAD

If you can't manage the low D or C with the tuner just tune the strings you can tune, which would be all strings but the thick E string.
Then you tune it to the G string - which now is C, just what you want, but still tuning down so there's a lower octave. Hence not the same pitch. Ok?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:24 AM