3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Any Fellow Martial Artists?
Muris Varajic
Aug 10 2007, 02:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Aug 9 2007, 10:27 PM) *
Just wondering if there is any fellow martial artists on GMC If so what style and what belt, and how long have you been taking it!?!

Im a 1st degree black belt, i practice Shotokan, and i have been taking it for 4 years... I teach kids karate and its the best job ever!!

Man,you shot me in the spot!!!
This is way tooo cool cool.gif

I used to practice karate and full-contact 15 years ago,I was real fan of that I must say.
Also,I had full ninja equipment which means...suit,katana,shurikens,sais,nunchakes etc..
Man l LOVE your post,brings me to good all times,thanks a lot!!!!!
All the best

Muris smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 10 2007, 03:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 10 2007, 09:33 AM) *
Man,you shot me in the spot!!!
This is way tooo cool cool.gif

I used to practice karate and full-contact 15 years ago,I was real fan of that I must say.
Also,I had full ninja equipment which means...suit,katana,shurikens,sais,nunchakes etc..
Man l LOVE your post,brings me to good all times,thanks a lot!!!!!
All the best
Muris smile.gif

HA no problem!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 10 2007, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 10 2007, 02:33 PM) *

He had to keep the Groupies away and the Roadies on the job somehow! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 10 2007, 04:12 PM
I saw a Bruce Lee movie. Does that count? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 10 2007, 04:31 PM
I watched the Matrix? Am I eligible?

This post has been edited by Owen: Aug 10 2007, 04:35 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 10 2007, 07:05 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 10 2007, 05:31 PM) *

Which pill did you take?

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 12 2007, 01:24 AM
laugh.gif
QUOTE (jeff @ Aug 10 2007, 11:12 AM) *
I saw a Bruce Lee movie. Does that count? biggrin.gif

YES!

QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 10 2007, 11:31 AM) *

AND YES!! HAHA

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 12 2007, 01:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 10 2007, 04:58 PM) *
He had to keep the Groupies away and the Roadies on the job somehow! biggrin.gif

Actually,it was long ago before I started playing guitar at all biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 12 2007, 02:01 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Aug 10 2007, 07:05 PM) *
Which pill did you take?

Could have sworn it was the red. Cant be sure though. laugh.gif

All I can remember that is them programming drunken boxing into my fighting repitiour. wink.gif - incidentally they actually do program that into neo in the film. laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 12 2007, 02:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 12 2007, 03:01 AM) *
Could have sworn it was the red. Cant be sure though. laugh.gif

All I can remember that is them programming drunken boxing into my fighting repitiour. wink.gif - incidentally they actually do program that into neo in the film. laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
timono
Aug 12 2007, 02:16 AM
well i did Judo for i think 6 years because my parents told me to go. it was pretty fun the first 4 years but after those years it sucked. so i stopped and now i'm totally in athletics.

Better first run away and later defend yourself laugh.gif

i've stopped about 3.5 years ago, so i was 12 then.

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 12 2007, 02:32 AM
much easier and more effective method of self defense in my state for those never convicted of a felony. we have legal "concealed carry" for any such citizen who registers for it.

anyone who gets in a fight using his martial arts training tells me one thing, he has nothing to lose in terms of personal wealth. although jail is scary to me. you will never have any practical use for the art, either a street punk will pop you before you get within 20 feet of him, or it will be a situation that you could have avoided. seems that everyone here has no sense of what the intention of the art was, to elevate yourself spiritually.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 12 2007, 03:57 AM
Lets go fishing!
I did kickboxing and tae kwon do for 5 years, trained 4 times a week. I did competitions and won a few, i got sick with mono and gave up ! sad.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ryan
Aug 12 2007, 04:09 AM
I studied Bruce Lee biggrin.gif

He was great.

And I also studied Muay Tai.
No classes of that are offered around where i live. So I cant take them. I would love to learn it. Many years of deadning that nerves. OHHHH that would be fun biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 12 2007, 09:56 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 12 2007, 03:32 AM) *
much easier and more effective method of self defense in my state for those never convicted of a felony. we have legal "concealed carry" for any such citizen who registers for it.

anyone who gets in a fight using his martial arts training tells me one thing, he has nothing to lose in terms of personal wealth. although jail is scary to me. you will never have any practical use for the art, either a street punk will pop you before you get within 20 feet of him, or it will be a situation that you could have avoided. seems that everyone here has no sense of what the intention of the art was, to elevate yourself spiritually.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood this.
Are you saying that it is a waist of time to practice martial arts/self defense (not necessarily the same)?
Are you saying that there are no benefits from MA training? To work your body? Increase strength, coordination, mobility and so on? Can't I do it just for fun?

Are you saying that there is only two possible outcomes in a fight where you use your martial arts training? Being dead or in jail? In that case, what would you say the options are in the same situation but without the MA training? Are you better of unprepared?

MA should include training in intimidating stressful situations to get an understanding of how your body and mind could react in scarying situations? I wouldn't rely on just carrying a gun around and then being hit by the adrenaline rush through your body. You get tunnel vision, your limbs shake, your mind is numbed like a deer caught in the headlights... fight or flight, You hesitate, you have to decide to draw your gun now or wait. A normal person isn't set up to shoot a fellow human at slightest provocation. Thankfully. You have to actually draw the gun, do whatever is necessary on that model to get it ready to fire and hit a probably moving target. And avoid to hurt yourself in the process. No, if I carried a gun I would train the same situations as in MA, adapted to the use of a gun.

Sure I would rather be carrying a gun when I meet a guy with a knife. Or rather being inside a Leopard when a guy comes running with a gun. That doesn't make it stupid to train with the gun or train body and mind though. And as you said. That's in your state. Carrying a gun here, concealed or not, would bring you some trouble and the outcome could be really bad. Likewise I wouldn't carry a gun on a regular flight what so ever.

And noone here has a sense of the intention of the art? Which art are you talking about? Judging from what's listed in previous posts I'd say these guys probably knows a lot about their arts.

To me it seems you are generalizing without giving it much thought.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 14 2007, 02:07 AM
[quote name='blindwillie' date='Aug 12 2007, 03:56 AM' post='52289']
I'm sorry if I misunderstood this.
Are you saying that it is a waist of time to practice martial arts/self defense (not necessarily the same)?
Are you saying that there are no benefits from MA training? To work your body? Increase strength, coordination, mobility and so on? Can't I do it just for fun?
[/quote]
No to all. I am saying it is an art, deep rooting is philosophies which try to elevate us above the level of a pit bull. The comments that preceded mine did not, and it reminded me of why I quit after two years. I went to a school run by one of the two original top karate people in the US, Jim Harrison (the other was Chuck Norton). Three time US Karate champ. Undefeated world kick boxing champion. He did not instruct me, my instructor was named Mackey. He ended up Shoot Boxing world champion. I am saying this to give you my background, I know what tough karate is. Back then most schools had pretty low standards for what they would call a brown belt or black belt, a joke really by the standards I was exposed to. I doubt things have changed much. I never accomplished much myself, had a decent back kick, and could break a 1' by 4' with my hand. But I lost interest primarily because I did not want to be around the types that tended to dominate the scene. Some were cool, but too many just looking for an opportunity to pound somebody. You think that is a respectable mentality, what ever floats you boat. I consider it low minded. I was very disappointed in that at the time, that the philosophical aspects of it were left out, and it was reduced to just another form of boxing.

I have never been in a serious situation. Like most sane people, I avoid them. Nobody in my family (a large one) has ever been in a dangerous life threatening situations. I don't think Sweden is rougher than the US.
Like then, these guys learn karate, and then go out, put themselves in situations where they might get a chance to pound somebody, late night bars, stuff like that. Normal people rarely in their lives will ever find anything practical about Karate, it is an art form. If you want to be practical, well here in Kansas, I can legally pack a gun if I ever felt threatened, otherwise I avoid such situations, like most normal people.

Regarding the health benefits, so so. The stretches are good. However it is much like basketball or American football in terms of health benefits. The stop/start aspect is not really healthy for mammals. It is tough on the heart. Steady and smooth activities are the really healthy ones. I took up triathlon after I quit karate. I can't think of anything with better health benefits, than doing the Olympic style races (1.5k swim, 25k bike, 10k run). The Ironman distances in my view are unhealthy, too extreme. And triathlon people were generally pretty cool. Not real egotistical, and very supportive of each other. I knew a few people in karate like that, but they were a minority. And regarding guts, in my view, takes more guts to do a tough triathlon than get in a ring for a few minutes with pads on, by a long shot. I also consider some form of weight training, and stretches (such as yoga) to be optimum.

[/quote]

[quote name='blindwillie' date='Aug 12 2007, 03:56 AM' post='52289']
To me it seems you are generalizing without giving it much thought.

[/quote]

I expect I finished my analysis of this long before most here started thinking about it. If I ever feel in danger, I will pack a rod. But it won't happen, I avoid such situations. Actually, Grizzly Bear pepper spray is better than Karate, if you really want to be safe. I have a can right here, handy. That is some powerful stuff, I used it once on two wild dogs, 20 feet away. Try one of the 7 basic blocks on that. This is supposed to be a very spiritual activity. If it were so, I would be interested. But the West has reduced it to just pit bull level.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 14 2007, 02:19 AM

+Quote Post
RobM
Aug 14 2007, 02:57 AM
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Aug 9 2007, 04:27 PM) *
Just wondering if there is any fellow martial artists on GMC If so what style and what belt, and how long have you been taking it!?!

Im a 1st degree black belt, i practice Shotokan, and i have been taking it for 4 years... I teach kids karate and its the best job ever!!

I first learned how to fight in the U.S. Army, i then boxed for awhile in the army and studied various forms of martial arts from people then really learned how to fight from a guy who was on the Delta team for the US, he was in our company because he hurt his back in a jump and was also getting command time as a platoon leader.

After i got out I went to 3rd degree black belt in Shoalin kempo karate, with that I fought full contact karate for a while when then peetered out I just lost interest and stopped practicing the arts.

I still remember how to defend myself, some of the stuff I learned was really great, especially from my friend that was in the Delta team. I also taught my three kids so they could defend themselves. You never know when you will need it. So far I nor my kids have ever had to use anything we have been taught. I hope they never have to either!

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 14 2007, 03:46 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 14 2007, 03:07 AM) *
I have never been in a serious situation. Like most sane people, I avoid them. Nobody in my family (a large one) has ever been in a dangerous life threatening situations. I don't think Sweden is rougher than the US.
Like then, these guys learn karate, and then go out, put themselves in situations where they might get a chance to pound somebody, late night bars, stuff like that. Normal people rarely in their lives will ever find anything practical about Karate, it is an art form. If you want to be practical, well here in Kansas, I can legally pack a gun if I ever felt threatened, otherwise I avoid such situations, like most normal people.

OK. I was jumped from behind on a well lit street, walking along in my own thoughts when I heard someone say behind me "How would you like one in the head?" When I turned around three guys is standing in a semi-circle and I get a kick to the head followed by a kick to my stomach from one of the others. Luckily I saw it coming and avoided it almost completly. They just touched me. This was at my last year of training, and I had been training 6 days/week for a year and that was the only hits they got on me. After a little while two guards from a nearby pub saw what happened and came to my aid and the guys disappeared. I got out of that without being hurt (and without injuring the others). In the newspaper the next day a short sum up of the weekend said that a hockey player, big well trained guy, had been beaten up badly and was transported unconsiousless to hospital. He was assaulted by three guys in the same age as "my guys", 20-25, just around the corner from where they jumped me. Judging by the time in the newspaper that happened just a few minutes later.

This incident contributed to me quitting MA. I had bad anxiety long time afterwards. A bit for realizing what could have happened to me, but mostly because during the fight I felt in complete control and really enjoyd it. Made me think, and made me quit. :/

With that said, I'm not saying MA training is a guarantee to save your behind. Contrary you may be ego boosted beyond your level and yoe may end up in worse situation then by simply being scared and run. A street punk who have been in a few fights will take you down just on experience. If he has a knife... Bad. Running is good. Best defense. Train that.

Regarding the health benefits, so so. The stretches are good. However it is much like basketball or American football in terms of health benefits. The stop/start aspect is not really healthy for mammals. It is tough on the heart. Steady and smooth activities are the really healthy ones. I took up triathlon after I quit karate. I can't think of anything with better health benefits, than doing the Olympic style races (1.5k swim, 25k bike, 10k run).

True. You have to know your body and adapt the training to it. But I'd say that goes for every form of training. To get the most out of the training and to not get hurt, or worse, long time injuries.
Speaking for myself, the MA training was perfect for me. I needed the stretches and joint conditioning. Bad back, pain in shoulders and neck from work. Bad knees. I got rid of all that and could even work up the strength in my knees so they don't bother me much now. I still have to do some stretching and exercises regularly. If I stop I get back the pain in the back and shoulders within a few weeks.

I expect I finished my analysis of this long before most here started thinking about it. If I ever feel in danger, I will pack a rod. But it won't happen, I avoid such situations. Actually, Grizzly Bear pepper spray is better than Karate, if you really want to be safe. I have a can right here, handy. That is some powerful stuff, I used it once on two wild dogs, 20 feet away. Try one of the 7 basic blocks on that. This is supposed to be a very spiritual activity. If it were so, I would be interested. But the West has reduced it to just pit bull level.

We can't carry a gun, mace or pepperspray or anything here, so that's not an option, legally anyway.

You are right. Avoiding getting into dangerous situations and places is even better then running. To me any MA or self defense training should talk about, and practise different situations to help you recognize when they are building up, how to avoid them, how to (can't find the right word now) dampen/soften it, how to get away from it and as a last resort, how to defend yourself and end it without being hurt. That's what I think is the important parts in training, and that's why I think MA should not be dismissed.
I got the impression you dismissed MA all together and by that people who live their lives through MA, that's why I responded. I felt you can't decides what's right or wrong for other people. I understand what you ment better now. Thanks for claryfing.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
kyeric
Aug 14 2007, 03:59 AM
I was 2 days away from testing for my 2nd degree brown belt(the ranks are white, yellow, blue, green, 3rd brown, 2nd brown, 1st brown, 1st black, 2nd black, etc) in Shaolin-do Kung Fu when I tore up my back playing softball(actually a problem I had for quite a while, but the softball tournament pushed it over the top). By the time I was ready to go back, the dojo I was going to moved and I no longer had the time to go.

I was in it for about 2 years and was making great progress. I've been looking into studio/dojo pretty close to me, but now that I'm a dad and my wife is in nursing school, time is not readily available, yet.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Aug 14 2007, 04:02 AM
I never go looking for fights, and if I was attacked on the street I would probably run. What I enjoy is fighting as a sport (UFC, Pride, whatever), and I dont really mind fighting at like school or a party or somthing.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:22 PM