2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Great A Minor Backing To Try Your Licks!
Todd Simpson
May 23 2021, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
Give this one a shot smile.gif A Minor, A Blues will work great!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 23 2021, 02:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'll try and give this a shot later maybe smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 23 2021, 05:01 PM
Elevated Jam Tracks is a great youtube channel that also has backingtracks like these, highly recommended.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
May 23 2021, 05:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great sound on this. That drum track is so tight. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 23 2021, 05:48 PM
Please do share if you guys make a jam with this track!

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 23 2021, 06:47 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 23 2021, 04:48 PM) *
Please do share if you guys make a jam with this track!

Why not request Gab. for the next collab.? I'm sure he can easily pull off something like this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 23 2021, 08:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm finding this tricky to be honest huh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 23 2021, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 23 2021, 07:51 PM) *
I'm finding this tricky to be honest huh.gif

Give it 2-3 listens before jumping in, probably you're not used to the chord sequence but once you memorize the repentance it will be much easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
May 23 2021, 11:16 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 23 2021, 06:47 PM) *
Why not request Gab. for the next collab.? I'm sure he can easily pull off something like this.

Would be cool! Could even mix up the secondary dominats ideas from Gab's lastest lesson.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: May 23 2021, 11:18 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2021, 07:25 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 23 2021, 10:40 PM) *
Give it 2-3 listens before jumping in, probably you're not used to the chord sequence but once you memorize the repentance it will be much easier.

It's the rhythm I'm struggling with, to be honest, at the moment I'm not good at following chord sequences and tend to stay in the home key unsure.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 24 2021, 08:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
That's a really cool backing! smile.gif

Same as Mertay, I also recommend Elevated Jam Tracks. Tom, the guy who is behind Elevated, really make amazing backings (I absolutely love how he create the climax in his backings) which can satisfy all the tastes.
I bought a lot of his backings and I can say that have a high quality. The price is cheap (1 GBP or who want can add more money). I always put 3 GBP for each track because I really think his work deserve more than he ask.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 24 2021, 09:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 24 2021, 08:25 AM) *
It's the rhythm I'm struggling with, to be honest, at the moment I'm not good at following chord sequences and tend to stay in the home key unsure.gif

What do you mean when you say the rhythm? A quick listen to the track I'd say it's in 4/4 with every chord changing at the first beat in the other instruments (though followed by an offset strum by the guitar, but I can't remember where it was now). Stick to playing A minor for the most part and you're golden. As suggested in the video, you could try to avoid playing an F note over A minor. That note will create quite a lot of tension, but if you can resolve it, then maybe you can make it work! In fact, I'm sure you could play something nice over this track!

EDIT: last bar of the chorus repeats stray a bit from that chord rhythm, mind you. Not a lot though, just the G chord, I think it was.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 24 2021, 09:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 24 2021, 10:16 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi

I like it
This BT sound like some Johantan BURGOS's lessons

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2021, 11:28 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 24 2021, 09:43 AM) *
What do you mean when you say the rhythm? A quick listen to the track I'd say it's in 4/4 with every chord changing at the first beat in the other instruments (though followed by an offset strum by the guitar, but I can't remember where it was now). Stick to playing A minor for the most part and you're golden. As suggested in the video, you could try to avoid playing an F note over A minor. That note will create quite a lot of tension, but if you can resolve it, then maybe you can make it work! In fact, I'm sure you could play something nice over this track!

EDIT: last bar of the chorus repeats stray a bit from that chord rhythm, mind you. Not a lot though, just the G chord, I think it was.

When I'm playing along to a BT my brain tends to focus on the drums, maybe that's why I struggle to follow chord changes. It's the drum beat that usually leads me in my improvs and this sounds a bit odd to me. I have only tried to play over it a couple of times though.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 24 2021, 11:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 24 2021, 12:28 PM) *
When I'm playing along to a BT my brain tends to focus on the drums, maybe that's why I struggle to follow chord changes. It's the drum beat that usually leads me in my improvs and this sounds a bit odd to me. I have only tried to play over it a couple of times though.

It's not really an uncommon beat, at least in the beginning, to be honest. I'll try to explain a bit if it can help. And I think most of it is based around the same pattern.

Crash on 1, hihat playing 8th notes and snare on a half time feel on every 3rd beat of the measure. Kick is probably more easily explained in this notation I did of it, but hits every 1st beat of the bar as well.

Attached Image

EDIT: Here's the GP file for further inspection:

Attached File  Drum_file.gp ( 12.27K ) Number of downloads: 519

A bit further on the drums play some fills inspired by that kick drum pattern. I'd say the general drum theme is that pattern. You could consider it a dotted 8th note, another dotted 8th note, followed by just an 8th note and then repeated. More than anything follow the quarter note pulse in the hihat/cymbals though.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 24 2021, 12:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2021, 12:23 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 24 2021, 11:38 AM) *
It's not really an uncommon beat, at least in the beginning, to be honest. I'll try to explain a bit if it can help. And I think most of it is based around the same pattern.

Crash on 1, hihat playing 8th notes and snare on a half time feel on every 3rd beat of the measure. Kick is probably more easily explained in this notation I did of it, but hits every 1st beat of the bar as well.

Attached Image

EDIT: Here's the GP file for further inspection:

Attached File  Drum_file.gp ( 12.27K ) Number of downloads: 519

A bit further on the drums play some fills inspired by that kick drum pattern. I'd say the general drum theme is that pattern. You could consider it a dotted 8th note, another dotted 8th note, followed by just an 8th note and then repeated. More than anything follow the quarter note pulse in the hihat/cymbals though.

Thanks Ben, I'll have a look when I get a bit more time. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 24 2021, 02:05 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 24 2021, 10:28 AM) *

Ah ok I totally get what you mean now!

Often in studio I sometimes muted some tracks (often for the vocalist, but did happen with guitar players too) because "elements" can make it harder to the main beat as in 1 of a 4/4 for example.

In this example you're probably having problems with the snare cause he doesn't hit harder in the main beat (likely computer snare) so his other snare beats are messing with your focus. No worries even musicians can have problems with this.

Unfortunately I can't give a quick solution. Obvious would be getting use to tapping your feet but thats not something which will happen in a day if your not used to it. Maybe try not emotionally bonding with the backing first, maybe that will make counting easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 24 2021, 02:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 24 2021, 03:05 PM) *
Ah ok I totally get what you mean now!

Often in studio I sometimes muted some tracks (often for the vocalist, but did happen with guitar players too) because "elements" can make it harder to the main beat as in 1 of a 4/4 for example.

In this example you're probably having problems with the snare cause he doesn't hit harder in the main beat (likely computer snare) so his other snare beats are messing with your focus. No worries even musicians can have problems with this.

Unfortunately I can't give a quick solution. Obvious would be getting use to tapping your feet but thats not something which will happen in a day if your not used to it. Maybe try not emotionally bonding with the backing first, maybe that will make counting easier.

Yeah, I did notice the supposed ghost notes and similar are kinda loud when I "tabbed" it out. I did a quick analysis some posts up though, and I notated them as ghost notes in my notation. However maybe seeing the beat visually and kinda understanding what's going on can help with feeling it in a different way.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 24 2021, 02:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 24 2021, 02:20 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 24 2021, 01:11 PM) *

Makes sense, for example instead of counting 1-2-3-4 one can count it as 1-2 (2 being actually the 3rd beat) as if a slow 2/4.

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 24 2021, 02:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 24 2021, 02:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 24 2021, 03:20 PM) *
Makes sense, for example instead of counting 1-2-3-4 one can count it as 1-2 (2 being actually the 3rd beat) as if a slow 2/4.

Yup, that would work too, although I feel the counting becomes almost too slow then, but not impossible of course. If I recall correctly the backing is in 110 BPM, so it would be like counting quarter notes in 55 BPM. I think I still feel it in relation to the 4/4 pulse kinda provided by the hihat/cymbals etc. That tends to be the case too for some of the more modern drum grooves in the djent genre too. A steady pulse from a china for instance, but more advanced snare and kick pattern work. For instance Periphery's old song Icarus Lives, though in this case the snare often sits at 2 and 4:

Attached Image

Notice how there is almost always a steady quarter note marked by the cymbals.

As for something more advanced, just for funs and giggles, here's Mangini playing 17/16 over 19/16, which of course is more of a prog metal thing:

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 24 2021, 02:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:54 AM