Calming Down And Zen
Keilnoth
Jul 1 2009, 08:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey guys,

I think I have a problem in my life. tongue.gif

I choose to talk on GMC because it's linked with the REC. Sometime I am doing like 50 records and every time I miss a string or the tempo or whatever. The problem is not really the REC and the guitar.

The real problem is that drives me crazy and I am getting instantly upset and angry. Then I can't do anything anymore but stop playing and rest, read or do some sport to calm down. When I am in that state, I could just break my guitar on the ground or throw my keyboard against the wall (I already did that when I was young... with my mouse as well).

Whatever I am doing, like working, playing (guitar, video game) or doing some sport (like badminton or tennis) and things don't go the way I would like, I turn insane every time.

And I don't want to break anything or hurt anybody including me. I hate myself when I am like that.

So my question is, do you guys know any way to stay zen, calm and to not get upset in any situation?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 1 2009, 09:02 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I get frustrated when things don't go right as well. I find it helps if I just take a break, relax, don't think about the thing that's annoying me, then go back to it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jul 1 2009, 09:10 PM
GMC:er
It may help if you can visualize how utterly insignificant that second of anger is in relation to the rest of your life. Perspective helps level out life's bumpy road.

Having said that, I still get mad too! tongue.gif It's human nature.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 1 2009, 09:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Breathe. Just properly breathing is overlooked and can be surprisingly helpful in many different situations. I am not a person that gets angry, hardly ever. I can't remember the last time, it was years ago. I think it is a perspective/mindset thing. If you have a good perspective of the situation and taking a few deep breaths doesn't begin to calm you down, you may want to see a professional. It may well have nothing to do with you and everything to do with your genes for example, I don't know. Good luck smile.gif

This post has been edited by JVM: Jul 1 2009, 09:38 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 1 2009, 09:58 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Well, you are not the first one to go mad after a few recording tries laugh.gif, check this in case you hadn't seen it before smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=27328

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 1 2009, 10:20 PM
Learning Roadie
If you really want to master your emotions check out autogenous training

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 1 2009, 11:19 PM
Instructor
Hmm, it's hard to tell what sort of thing can get you calmed down, but usually soft music, relaxation, exercises, or playing guitar works smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 2 2009, 01:15 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My work environment is setup where everyone and everything is there to help me. It's very calm and peaceful even at times when it gets very hair raising. As for guitar, which is supposed to relax me, I feel like throwing something out a window every time I hit record. I'm no help to you other than to let you know that you're not alone. Fran posted a fun discussion we had in the spring about this very topic. Good luck!

I do have one little tidbit to add though. If I play video games, or guitar, with headphones...my frustration threshold is about 1/10th of what it is without headphones. Never thought of why, but when you record for REC, don't use a headset. Something to try.

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Jul 2 2009, 01:57 AM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
kahall
Jul 2 2009, 03:14 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Jul 1 2009, 02:46 PM) *
So my question is, do you guys know any way to stay zen, calm and to not get upset in any situation?

Take it from a slightly older person, throwing and breaking things does not help at all. Seriously if you have an issue with this you may want to seek out a doc who can hook you up with the right kind of meds that will not make you feel like a total zombie. That's what I did. ;-) Maybe your not as bad as I was but there is help available.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jul 2 2009, 05:33 AM
Instructor
yeah man, try to be in peace with yourself.
think about what make you feel anger. not guitar, or games, it´s something a little bit more deep.
as Kahall said, there´s professional help available in everywhere. try to talk about your problems with someone else and you´ll find yourself a little bit better. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Jul 2 2009, 10:24 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks guys for your answers ! smile.gif

QUOTE ("kahall")
Take it from a slightly older person, throwing and breaking things does not help at all.

You know, I am almost 30. I know that it does not help to throw a keyboard against a wall. I am trying not to do that anymore. tongue.gif Last time I broke something, if I remember well, it's my badminton racket. I had to buy a new one (100$) and it was a present from my girlfriend so I felt really bad of breaking her present. Now I am more cautious about the new one. smile.gif

When I was 15 I was used to break like 3 mouses en 5 keyboard every year. They deserved it all! smile.gif

QUOTE ("Lian Gerbino")
think about what make you feel anger. not guitar, or games, it´s something a little bit more deep.

You are right Lian, it's deeper in me, my health and feelings. I am on the edge of many things those last weeks and days. Perhaps it's not a good time to record but a better time to just play things I like.

QUOTE ("NoSkill")
I do have one little tidbit to add though. If I play video games, or guitar, with headphones...my frustration threshold is about 1/10th of what it is without headphones. Never thought of why, but when you record for REC, don't use a headset. Something to try.

That's true! When I can play freely without headset, it's much better. Will try that next time I record.

QUOTE ("Skalde")
If you really want to master your emotions check out autogenous training

Will check that. Thanks! Some friend of me is a psy. Will ask him about that.

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jul 2 2009, 10:32 PM
Instructor
Well, I think the best advice that I can give you on the instrument is that when that happends you have two options:

1- Play something that you know it's going to be easy and you've already mastered, in that way you'll stop the rage and feelings of relief comes into you
2- Stop playing and do something else, something relaxing...watch TV, go for a walk...etc

The second one always work with anything that you get frustrated with.
Anything that works with repetition get the brain exahusted and the problem is that when that happends you'll notice that you cannot play or do that thing one more time or it will be just awfull. So, give it some space and then come back.
Have you ever noticed that maybe a lick/solo doesn't sound the way you want, then you stop playing and when you come back hours later or other day suddenly it's really better?. Well, that's the brain diggesting the information and putting all together by itself.

So...be calmed wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:52 PM