No More Music.... Ever
Ben Higgins
Jul 1 2014, 07:33 AM
Instructor
What if there was no more music from now on ?

Imagine nobody created music any more. No new songs to get excited about on Youtube. No new albums to look forward to. Nothing.No more bands, no more artists, songwriters.

That would leave us with a massive wealth of music already out there that we can discover. Enough to last anybody a lifetime of new listening experiences, surely ?

But is that enough ?

How would you feel if this occurred ? Would it matter to you or is there enough music to be satisfied with already ?

This could go into some far reaching issues, so I'm interested in where this could go !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 1 2014, 08:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
If I judge from the perspective of a listener, I guess anybody can adapt for any situation. Until to answer, I thought how much music created in 2014 I listen. The answer it's dramatically.
I think I can live without listening new bands, new songs because I know I had a lot music already created to discover. So always I will have the feeling for something new.

But from the musician perspective I don't know how to live without to want to create music. I can't accept this. It's something like you put a guy to live without air only with oxygen bottles biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jul 1 2014, 08:23 AM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 1 2014, 10:13 AM
GMC:er
As you say Ben, there's a whole catalogue of music out there that I've never heard and I mean everything from Metal, Folk, traditional African etc!!
I could never listen to it all in 3 lifetimes, let alone just this one!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 1 2014, 10:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 1 2014, 10:13 AM) *
As you say Ben, there's a whole catalogue of music out there that I've never heard and I mean everything from Metal, Folk, traditional African etc!!
I could never listen to it all in 3 lifetimes, let alone just this one!!

Yes, that's definitely a reality... but what about no new music ? Would that bother you, do you think ??

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 1 2014, 08:21 AM) *
But from the musician perspective I don't know how to live without to want to create music. I can't accept this. It's something like you put a guy to live without air only with oxygen bottles biggrin.gif

Oh from the creator's perspective, it would definitely be like suppression of the soul !

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 1 2014, 12:36 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Apart from being out of a job? (I could possibly earn a living from remasters but that's never been something I'm fond of - I loathe all of the 'digitally remastered' marketing hype.)

Just like Neil there's already a wealth of material out there that I've never heard. I also have too many CDs already that are still in their sealed sellophane wrappers, which could see the light of day cool.gif ...

... eventually.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 1 2014, 01:46 PM
It would suck!

Music inspires and is my favorite past-time. Just listening to music wouldn't be enough for me.

I know that when I got out of bands, last band in 2004, there was such a bad taste in my mouth that I started listening to talk radio. I went for years not even knowing what was new, and I didn't care. There was a major hole inside me and eventually I got interested again - funny enough, that happened because I was selling all my musical equipment off - had everything on Craig's List.

When I sold my bass rig, I used that money to get a used PODHD500 which I figured was all I need if I ever decided to tinker around with music again. And that Pod is what inspired me to get back into music in 2012 after 8 years. Now I am glad I didn't sell my amp and guitars.

If I didn't have the capability or option of making music, the desire to get better and emulate what I like, I would't listen to it - and life would be much less fulfilling.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 1 2014, 01:46 PM

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 1 2014, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 1 2014, 08:46 AM) *
It would suck!

Music inspires and is my favorite past-time. Just listening to music wouldn't be enough for me.

I know that when I got out of bands, last band in 2004, there was such a bad taste in my mouth that I started listening to talk radio. I went for years not even knowing what was new, and I didn't care. There was a major hole inside me and eventually I got interested again - funny enough, that happened because I was selling all my musical equipment off - had everything on Craig's List.

When I sold my bass rig, I used that money to get a used PODHD500 which I figured was all I need if I ever decided to tinker around with music again. And that Pod is what inspired me to get back into music in 2012 after 8 years. Now I am glad I didn't sell my amp and guitars.

If I didn't have the capability or option of making music, the desire to get better and emulate what I like, I would't listen to it - and life would be much less fulfilling.

I'm kind of in this boat also. I got bored when I was younger with the guitar, but after I got out of school that all changed. I started going to concerts and enjoyed the heck out of them. So that means all that would stop, I would have no reason to play a guitar. Since I've tried to get better and learn to play what I believe would be my style, I've started to love music more. I actually have played less video games, watched less tv, I watched like 3 movies in the last few months. I just come home grab something to drink kick on the Kemper and noodle.

With that being said... I think I may actually go.. *gasps* outside... ohmy.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 2 2014, 09:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 1 2014, 10:11 PM) *
With that being said... I think I may actually go.. *gasps* outside... ohmy.gif

Dude.... be careful !!! ohmy.gif

Are you sure you don't want to rethink that and stay inside with the guitar ?

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 2 2014, 09:26 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 2 2014, 04:13 AM) *
Dude.... be careful !!! ohmy.gif

Are you sure you don't want to rethink that and stay inside with the guitar ?

Not if there is no way to be creative! What would be the point?

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 2 2014, 10:26 AM
Though I certainly don't want to I could probably live the rest of my life w/o any 'new'. Music. I still get turned to and turned on by stuff I should have known about before.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 2 2014, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 1 2014, 10:54 AM) *
Yes, that's definitely a reality... but what about no new music ? Would that bother you, do you think ??

I'm not sure that it would, after all, all the music I've never heard yet would be new to me anyway.
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:27 AM