Playability On 25.5 & 24.75 Neck Scale?
Blavod
Apr 7 2015, 03:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker

Hey GMCers!

I wanted to share some impressions i have regarding neck scale: since i began to learn guitar i've mostly played on necks with 24.75 scales, in fact all my electric guitars have this neck length.

I recently purchased a superstrat with 24 frets and neck scale of 25.5. Before even beginning to play on the guitar or trying it, i was convinced that it would be more difficult to play on this guitar due to the longer neck: logic was telling me "you are used to shorter necks, so longer neck will be harder"... The thing is, now that i have a guitar with the 25.5 neck scale, i've been playing and comparing with the 24.75 scale and the result surprises me: i find it easier to play on the longer scale! Chords, power chords, solos... Even notes with widespread finger position (i am practicing the "Index vs Little finger" video...) are now easier to perform.

Have you experienced something similar with different neck scale? I know that the neck shape and frets also plays a major role in the final feeling of the neck, so do you think it has nothing to do with the neck scale and it's purely the neck shape and frets?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Hell was full ... so I came Back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KenA
Apr 7 2015, 04:14 PM
GMC:er
My major regret was replacing my old 25.5 acoustic Takamine for a Taylor GS Mini ... one thing I'd learned here is that for Strumming, long scale is better, but you're talking about a small scale length difference between 2 electric guitars, I never had a 24 3/4 length electric guitar, but I suspect it will have a slight difference in feeling. Try strumming funk rhythms with clean sound, here you may find the real difference?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by KenA: Apr 7 2015, 04:14 PM

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 7 2015, 04:17 PM
I never played a baritone but a well setuped guitar should be comfortable no matter the neck scale.

I did notice most 24.75 players prefer 0.10 strings while 0.9 strings are common with 25.5. Also if the guitar has a floyd type bridge, the string tension can slightly change depending depending on the angle of the floyd.

I used to pick hard when shredding and since the strings move too much on 24.75 I never liked them. After adjusting myself not to waste a lot of energy, now I feel I'm not very picky on scale or even neck shape.

I've owned an ibanez for a very long time but 24.75 guitar do have a nice feel to them, when jamming one I usually find myself trying to be more melodically creative with lesser gain. Probably just a habit but its simply how I like them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2015, 08:17 AM
My DEAN RAZORBACK is the shortest scale neck I"ve owned (24.75)and it does have a bit more "expressiveness" to it, thanks to easier bending. I've found that 25.5 is my sweetspot for scale length. Much beyond that and a guitar begins to loose much of it's expressive ability IMHO just due to string tension making vibrato and bending less efficient.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 8 2015, 10:42 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm finding I just don't get on with 24.75 scale guitars the feel and tone just doesn't gel with me

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Blavod
Apr 8 2015, 12:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker

Thanks for your replies guys! So i can see there's a bit of mixed feelings regarding scale length, so it's really a personal feeling!

--------------------
Hell was full ... so I came Back!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2015, 07:16 PM
It boils down to personal feeling for many things that are guitar related. so much of it comes down to the player. It's rare to see threads about tone where everyone agrees. Just part of the fun smile.gif

QUOTE (Blavod @ Apr 8 2015, 07:03 AM) *
Thanks for your replies guys! So i can see there's a bit of mixed feelings regarding scale length, so it's really a personal feeling!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 12 2015, 07:35 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 12 2015, 10:16 AM) *
It boils down to personal feeling for many things that are guitar related. so much of it comes down to the player. It's rare to see threads about tone where everyone agrees. Just part of the fun smile.gif

I play both scale lengths regularly - as in, on the same gig and switch from song to song. Honestly, though there is of course a difference, if I feel it(?) I don't pay any attention to it.

*The only time I really notice scale length is when I switch to baritone (30") or to a short scale (22.5") Teisco or Duo Sonic. And even then it doesn't bug me. At that short of of a scale length there is a cool sonic thing that happens. I can't describe it but it is unique. A little like putting a capo on the first or second fret.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 12 2015, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 13 2015, 07:42 AM
GMC Founder
I have a Les Paul with 24.75 scale and it somehow feels softer / easier to bend. But even though the scale length on my Parker is 25.5 it is even easier to bend, because of the stainless steel frets.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:39 PM