Battle Of The Bands?, An Idea!
David.C.Bond
Dec 17 2007, 12:01 AM
GMC:er
Ok I just had this idea, see what you guys think. After all the bands have released one song and are a bit more experienced, it could be fun to have a battle of the bands!
My idea is that we basically set a date (say Feb-March or something) and on the date set, each band submits a set (of a few original songs and covers) previously unheard by any other GMC members, and the GMC forum can vote in a poll open for say 24 hours whos set should win!

There could be some form of prize but I don't know what. Anyone like that idea?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Nick325
Dec 17 2007, 12:10 AM
i like that idea but the bands are different levels so the more advanced bands would win unless there was a contest for each level

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Dec 17 2007, 12:12 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I like the idea except for two things: the bands are from different levels of playing, so you can't expect to have a battle between, beginners, inter, and pros...Also, it might be more difficult for people to come up with original stuff, only thing I see possible for all is to add their own style to the covers that are done.

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 17 2007, 12:12 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
i think this may be something to work towards later on when there are some more bands (hopefully we will get some more going later on smile.gif ) I`d also think we`d need to put it in catorgories too, Beginners, Inters and advanced, I wouldnt want to discourage anyone if you see what I mean by pitting advanced against begginers, but would be a great goal to work towards for sure.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 17 2007, 11:52 AM
It's a great idea, but will only work once there are more bands, so like others said, we could categorize by level, so I think feb-march will probably be too early

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Bondy
Dec 17 2007, 11:59 AM
Learning Roadie
Great idea like smells said somthing for the future when the noobs like me get a bit more experienced it would hardly be fair begginers against pros

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 17 2007, 12:19 PM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Dec 17 2007, 10:59 AM) *
Great idea like smells said somthing for the future when the noobs like me get a bit more experienced it would hardly be fair begginers against pros

no ones "noobs" laugh.gif I prefer "less experienced" wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Dec 17 2007, 12:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Lol iam a noob i dont see it as a insult its better than crap

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 17 2007, 12:47 PM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Dec 17 2007, 11:40 AM) *
Lol iam a noob i dont see it as a insult its better than crap

laugh.gif laugh.gif totally

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 17 2007, 02:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Definitely a cool idea for when there's more bands, good idea Mr. Bond tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
AliMo
Dec 18 2007, 01:38 AM
ya I posted a similar idea in the suggestion thread a couple days ago............

here it is just to let everyone here know what I have in mind so people can throw their ideas around

" I've got a suggestion that might be fun to do after we get the ball rolling a little more. Maybe have a battle of the bands type of thing with awards given out in different categories. Some categories could be... Best Cover, Best Original Song, Best Solo, Most Listened To, and anything else people can think of. Prizes could be things such as a trophy avatar, maybe a mention on the front page, or even a lesson of their song by an instructor or a GMC t shirt and other stuff. This will bring a type of friendly-competitive feel to the bands and will definitely encourage more band activity and maybe some more bands to pop up. I can't think of anything else so if anyone likes the idea and has something to add feel free."

Basically smells said the same thing as he did here, to wait a little. I understand that letting the bands progress a little more and maybe waiting for some more to start up will make this competition a lot more fun. So lets wait and see what happens

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 18 2007, 01:43 AM
Xranthoius agrees too!!!

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 20 2007, 11:22 AM
Learning Roadie
i'd be up for this if i could be in all the bands... so im guarenteed to win tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Dec 21 2007, 02:09 PM
I would like to have a battle of the bands. beg, inter, and pro levels are good, but if we have to write our own music, if one band had a member over the level, then they would have a way better chance of winning, seeing that one member could produce something way above the other bands in the level, and give it a better chance to win.

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 21 2007, 02:25 PM
Yup that is a valid point, the battle of the bands is a good idea, it`ll need some planning to get the structure of it right and to make it as "fair" as possible, again its not something that I think we can introduce until we have some more bands at various levels smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 21 2007, 02:29 PM
I totally agree with Smells.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jan 3 2008, 10:29 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 21 2007, 08:25 AM) *
Yup that is a valid point, the battle of the bands is a good idea, it`ll need some planning to get the structure of it right and to make it as "fair" as possible, again its not something that I think we can introduce until we have some more bands at various levels smile.gif

agreed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
at lights end
Jan 3 2008, 10:46 PM
All agreed say 'aye!'

aye! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 3 2008, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Great idea!!! Let's ive it a try!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:34 AM