Gear Update :)
Mertay
Jan 13 2018, 09:13 AM
GMC:er
I have a habit of washing my hands before I play guitar, this really helps keeping the neck clean and increase string-life. Problem was the water flows so cold in the winter it actually hurts if I don't rush cleaning my hands.

There is a water heating system, but for it to kick in and get the water from machine to bathroom takes time (its not an apartment). So I got one of those insteant heating devices that work on electricity and connected it where I wash my hands. They're small, cheaper than pedals and my neighbor was very kind to install it for me.

I got to say it really makes a difference. Hot water really relax/flexes the muscles on hands and has a great feeling, I even feel more motivated to start playing than before smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jan 13 2018, 03:23 PM
Experienced Rock Star
It probably helps avoid injuries too. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 13 2018, 08:20 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Good tip, Mertay! I do this quite a bit myself. Not necessarily washing them but running hot water over them to get the blood flowing and get loosened up before practicing. I usually try to keep the water away from my fingertips as to not soften them up and run it over my palms and the back of my hand, wrists and forearm. I think it really helps to get warmed up and loose faster.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 13 2018, 08:21 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2018, 04:47 AM
I usually use alcohol hand gel before practice to get gunk off my hands and increase string life a bit. I used to wash my hands before each jam session but the hand gel is just easier. Good idea to get your hands clean before gunking up ones strings!

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 13 2018, 04:13 AM) *
I have a habit of washing my hands before I play guitar, this really helps keeping the neck clean and increase string-life. Problem was the water flows so cold in the winter it actually hurts if I don't rush cleaning my hands.

There is a water heating system, but for it to kick in and get the water from machine to bathroom takes time (its not an apartment). So I got one of those insteant heating devices that work on electricity and connected it where I wash my hands. They're small, cheaper than pedals and my neighbor was very kind to install it for me.

I got to say it really makes a difference. Hot water really relax/flexes the muscles on hands and has a great feeling, I even feel more motivated to start playing than before smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 14 2018, 10:38 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 13 2018, 07:20 PM) *

Whats also working nice for me is when playing for fun I always give breaks. After food, tv show, net surfing etc. can quickly warm-up my hands again over and over again smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 14 2018, 03:47 AM) *

Gel is probably the only solution when outside the house, I never really liked it though cause felt unnatural till it gets really dryed out. Usually didn't wash my hands in studios either as nothing beats drying with a clean towel and wet hands get cold very easy.

But as someone who's into very technical playing you might benefit the most here from such a device. A good warm-up is always needed but hotwater gets that comfort-zone feeling much quicker.

These small instant water heaters are usually used for showers but if only for quick hand cleaning the cheapest (around 50 bucks in USA I guess?) should do fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2018, 06:41 PM
During winter I'll wash my hands in warm water before practice. It actually does help loosen up my hand/fingers smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 14 2018, 05:38 AM) *
Whats also working nice for me is when playing for fun I always give breaks. After food, tv show, net surfing etc. can quickly warm-up my hands again over and over again smile.gif

Gel is probably the only solution when outside the house, I never really liked it though cause felt unnatural till it gets really dryed out. Usually didn't wash my hands in studios either as nothing beats drying with a clean towel and wet hands get cold very easy.

But as someone who's into very technical playing you might benefit the most here from such a device. A good warm-up is always needed but hotwater gets that comfort-zone feeling much quicker.

These small instant water heaters are usually used for showers but if only for quick hand cleaning the cheapest (around 50 bucks in USA I guess?) should do fine.

+Quote Post
Grappa
Jan 16 2018, 10:40 AM
Learning Roadie
Never even considered this before... going to give the warm water thing a go!

Thanks,

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2018, 04:36 AM
Worth a shot!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Grappa @ Jan 16 2018, 05:40 AM) *
Never even considered this before... going to give the warm water thing a go!

Thanks,

Si

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 17 2018, 05:47 AM
The pianist Glenn Gould would soak his hands and forearms in warm water before he performed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:55 AM