Reaper Problems
jstcrsn
Jan 23 2014, 02:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
okay I am geting sick of this clicking , popping , getting fizzy and just plain going silent while I am practicing with overloud as a stand alone or recording or trying to record in reaper .
if I unplug my interface and reboot reaper it goes away for a while , but it usually happens every time I am practicing ( which is about 2 hours in lenght)
help GMC, I need some answers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Jan 23 2014, 03:03 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 23 2014, 02:50 PM) *
okay I am geting sick of this clicking , popping , getting fizzy and just plain going silent while I am practicing with overloud as a stand alone or recording or trying to record in reaper .
if I unplug my interface and reboot reaper it goes away for a while , but it usually happens every time I am practicing ( which is about 2 hours in lenght)

Hi there, doesn't help if u raise the buffer size as u told me smile.gif i just made a small increase and the popping went away.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Jan 23 2014, 03:06 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 23 2014, 03:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 23 2014, 02:50 PM) *

just happened again,but , reaper had a signal showing and even recorded when it went silent, so I had to unplug and plug back in the interface and it started working again and I could hear what I recorded when it was silent.
The interface is under 6 months old , do you think it could be faulty

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Jan 23 2014, 03:03 PM) *
Hi there, doesn't help if u raise the buffer size as u told me smile.gif i just made a small increase and the popping went away.

any more and there is a delay , to much to practice or record

+Quote Post
mad
Jan 23 2014, 03:39 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi,

just a few questions for clarification:
- what CPU are you using
- what's the RAM size of your system
- what audio hardware are you using and
- which driver is installed

And just a quick guess for you to try: when using Reaper you can find a tempo/bpm selection in the TH2 UI:
Attached Image

normally the "source" is set to 'host'. Try changing to 'int' and see if the problem persists. I heard of sync problems after some time of running the plugin in reaper because of that..

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 23 2014, 03:46 PM
Instructor
I'm afraid it's not a problem of reaper itself. If You plan to play guitar through plug-ins with direct monitoring it's usually a matter of buffering performance = Ram, disk speed, usb speed, cpu load etc. If You change the buffer if will make impossible to play via monitor option - latency wil be huge and will make You plug-in tone delayed almost like an echo.

When You restart Reaper it just drops off the memory. While using program it will occupy some more memory after a few operations. This is why it works fine for a while after restart. I wonder how they (gear producers) could let it be this way. Your issue is so common.

Few simple things to check before buying anything are:
1. Disconnect anything else form USB ports (at least from the section that the audio interface is connected to)
2. turn off all unnecessary programs (You can even turn of the Antivirus and internet connection for safety)
3. Make sure You don't launch anything else after system boot if You plan to make recordings

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 23 2014, 04:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 23 2014, 03:20 PM) *
just happened again,but , reaper had a signal showing and even recorded when it went silent, so I had to unplug and plug back in the interface and it started working again and I could hear what I recorded when it was silent.
The interface is under 6 months old , do you think it could be faulty

any more and there is a delay , to much to practice or record

just happened again , it does it more often when I am using the interface as the sound card for everything and am listening oi something while I am running overloud as a stand alone or in reaper

QUOTE (mad @ Jan 23 2014, 03:39 PM) *
Hi,

just a few questions for clarification:
- what CPU are you using
- what's the RAM size of your system
- what audio hardware are you using and
- which driver is installed

And just a quick guess for you to try: when using Reaper you can find a tempo/bpm selection in the TH2 UI:
Attached Image

normally the "source" is set to 'host'. Try changing to 'int' and see if the problem persists. I heard of sync problems after some time of running the plugin in reaper because of that..

I5
6 ram
Audiobox(presonus)
asio ( that installed with the audiobox

when it goes completely silent it shows a signal, it records, it plays back after I unplug and plug in the usb

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 23 2014, 03:46 PM) *
I'm afraid it's not a problem of reaper itself. If You plan to play guitar through plug-ins with direct monitoring it's usually a matter of buffering performance = Ram, disk speed, usb speed, cpu load etc. If You change the buffer if will make impossible to play via monitor option - latency wil be huge and will make You plug-in tone delayed almost like an echo.

When You restart Reaper it just drops off the memory. While using program it will occupy some more memory after a few operations. This is why it works fine for a while after restart. I wonder how they (gear producers) could let it be this way. Your issue is so common.

Few simple things to check before buying anything are:
1. Disconnect anything else form USB ports (at least from the section that the audio interface is connected to)
2. turn off all unnecessary programs (You can even turn of the Antivirus and internet connection for safety)
3. Make sure You don't launch anything else after system boot if You plan to make recordings

I am using no other ports or programs other than overloud as stand alone and u tube so I can play along/learn songs

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 23 2014, 04:39 PM) *
just happened again , it does it more often when I am using the interface as the sound card for everything and am listening oi something while I am running overloud as a stand alone or in reaper

I5
6 ram
Audiobox(presonus)
asio ( that installed with the audiobox

when it goes completely silent it shows a signal, it records, it plays back after I unplug and plug in the usb

I am using no other ports or programs other than overloud as stand alone and u tube so I can play along/learn songs

sorry,but, now it just happened when I had nothing else open but this thread and th1

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 23 2014, 09:12 PM
Instructor
Is there any chance for one of the pieces - OS, DAW, Overload or Audiobox driver to be not matched in case of 32/64 bit relation?

If You have 64 bit DAw maybe try to install 32 bit version and try the same. It will consume less power for sure. I just switched to I5 and to be honest I'm surprised by how much cpu can those 64 bit versions consume. I use 64 bit DAw but had to plug most of my plug-ins in 32 bit version to run my regular sessions smoothly

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 23 2014, 11:31 PM
GMC:er
I suspected the onboard soundcard causing the issue, if already disabled sometimes enabling is better

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 24 2014, 02:29 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 23 2014, 09:12 PM) *
Is there any chance for one of the pieces - OS, DAW, Overload or Audiobox driver to be not matched in case of 32/64 bit relation?

If You have 64 bit DAw maybe try to install 32 bit version and try the same. It will consume less power for sure. I just switched to I5 and to be honest I'm surprised by how much cpu can those 64 bit versions consume. I use 64 bit DAw but had to plug most of my plug-ins in 32 bit version to run my regular sessions smoothly

i MIGHT do this as a last resort , but I am not sure , I don't think running th1 as a stand alone should be this taxing on this system

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 23 2014, 11:31 PM) *
I suspected the onboard soundcard causing the issue, if already disabled sometimes enabling is better
these problems are all happening with the audiobox as I practice/record

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2014, 05:48 AM
Try this.

1.)Reboot.
2.)Have NOTHING else open (not youtube, not a browser, nothing) but your DAW and TH1 running inside your daw as a plugin. E.g. Don't launch Th1 first then launch reaper. Launch the from inside reaper by adding it to a track as a plugin. (I"m guessing this is obvious but just in case)
3.)Monitor through your presonus if you are not already. Don't monitor through your computer headphone out. Make sure both input and output in REAPER are set to the presonus box. Using separate in and output can cause issues.

Let us know how that works smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 23 2014, 08:29 PM) *
i MIGHT do this as a last resort , but I am not sure , I don't think running th1 as a stand alone should be this taxing on this system

these problems are all happening with the audiobox as I practice/record

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2014, 05:49 AM

+Quote Post
mad
Jan 24 2014, 09:08 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey man,

here's a thread from the presonus forums with similar problem. People are complaining about their drivers running under W7..

Lots of cracks & pops on generous settings

Here's some vendors support on this:
Why would I need to optimize Windows Vista/Windows 7?

Hope you'll get this sorted out fast..

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 24 2014, 10:12 AM
Instructor
I've been there while trying to make my presonus working. Here's quote from one of the posts:

" ... So is there any solution for the latency-problem?

No. No solution. Presonus says it's a system configuration issue when some can below 256 and others can't. Although they offer no direction on what the particular config is as I don't think they even know..."

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 24 2014, 11:29 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Could be USB and system jitter - pops are often a sign of usb jitter. Have you set the presonus as the masterclock? If not then try that.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 24 2014, 01:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 24 2014, 11:29 AM) *
Could be USB and system jitter - pops are often a sign of usb jitter. Have you set the presonus as the masterclock? If not then try that.

never heard of this term, how do I do this

Thanks guys for all your help

Todd, I always use interface headphones out or mains out(nothing with the commuter sound card

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 24 2014, 02:45 PM
incase needed, I use this program for driver updates but make sure to select taking backup before insalling new versions;

http://driverupdate.net/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 24 2014, 04:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 24 2014, 11:29 AM) *

Tony could You say something more about the masterclock - is it eqal to setting up the Asio option for "presonus Asio" in DAW or You meant something else?

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 25 2014, 02:34 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 24 2014, 04:14 PM) *
Tony could You say something more about the masterclock - is it eqal to setting up the Asio option for "presonus Asio" in DAW or You meant something else?

I don't have and have never used a Presonus so I can't be 100% certain however I doubt that it's the same. It might however have an option on the Presonus ASIO to set the device as the masterclock though.

ASIO is an audio driver and the Presonus one is almost certainly just their version of this. The masterclock however is what provides the timing/clocking information for all devices that are linked to it and essentially provides accurate timing information as to when digitised samples are periodically recorded or played back. If the time information isn't accurate you get jitter, which can lead to pops, drop outs, intermodulation, drift and so on. On a simple home/project setup the masterclock should be the point where timing is most critical: that's the ADC so you set that as the masterclock and slave all other devices to it. One of the issues with home/project studio set ups even if the masterclock is jitter due to cheap/poorly designed and therefore inaccurate clocks.

jstcrn - sorry but as I don't have a Presonus I can't tell you specifically how to set it as the masterclock. If it's not an option on the Presonus ASIO page/tab then I'd guess though that it's an option on something like the hardware setup page/tab or similar.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:22 PM