What Are M7 Arpeggios, Learn to Build and Recognize m7th Arpeggios
The Professor
Apr 4 2013, 11:58 AM
Theory Instructor
How to Build m7 Arpeggios

In today’s lesson we’re going to be looking at two different ways that you can build and learn to recognize m7 Arpeggios.

The first way that you can build a m7 Arpeggio, is to take the minor triad and simply add a b7 to those three notes.

So, if you have Cm, C-Eb-G, and you want to make it Cm7, you just add the note Bb, the b7 of C (the b7 of any chord is always one tone below the root note).

Here is how that would look on paper over a Cm and Cm7 chord.

Attached Image

The second way that you can use previous knowledge to build a m7 Arpeggio, is by taking the Natural Minor Scale, Aeolian Mode, and using the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th notes of that scale to build your m7 arpeggio.

So, if you want to build a Cm7 chord, you can take a look at the C Natural Minor Scale, as we are below, and pull out the 1-3-5-7 of that scale to produce the notes C-Eb-G-Bb, the four notes in a Cm7 Arpeggio.

Attached Image

Test Your Theory Knowledge!

Now that you have learned how to build Minor 7th Arpeggios, try writing out a number of them in the comments section below to get some practice with these shapes.

If you write out some, or all, of the different m7th Arpeggios I’ll be happy to look over your work and make sure you’re on the right track.

Have a question or comment about Minor 7th Arpeggios? Post it below.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Apr 4 2013, 12:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Minor 7th Arpeggios {In Fourths}

Spoiler:
C D# G A# C major Scale: C D E F G A B
F G# C D# F major Scale: F G A Bb C D E
Bb Db F Ab Bb major Scale: Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb Gb Bb Db Eb major Scale: Eb F G Ab Bb C D
Ab B Eb Gb Ab major Scale: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db E Ab B Db major Scale: Db Eb F F# Ab Bb C
F# A C# E F# major Scale: F# G# A# B C# D# E#
B D F# A B major Scale: B C# D# E F# G# A#
E G B D E major Scale: E F# G# A B C# D#
A C E G A major Scale: A B C# D E F# G#
D F A C D major Scale: D E F# G A B C#
G Bb D F G major Scale: G A B C D E F#

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 4 2013, 12:27 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Apr 4 2013, 12:25 PM) *
Minor 7th Arpeggios {In Fourths}

Spoiler:
C D# G A# C major Scale: C D E F G A B
F G# C D# F major Scale: F G A Bb C D E
Bb Db F Ab Bb major Scale: Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb Gb Bb Db Eb major Scale: Eb F G Ab Bb C D
Ab B Eb Gb Ab major Scale: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db E Ab B Db major Scale: Db Eb F F# Ab Bb C
F# A C# E F# major Scale: F# G# A# B C# D# E#
B D F# A B major Scale: B C# D# E F# G# A#
E G B D E major Scale: E F# G# A B C# D#
A C E G A major Scale: A B C# D E F# G#
D F A C D major Scale: D E F# G A B C#
G Bb D F G major Scale: G A B C D E F#

Hey, you are very close with this one. Just watch that when you spell a chord like Cm7, you use the b3 and b7, so C Eb G Bb, not C D# G A#. They are technically the same notes, just spelled differently, but when building a chord or arpeggio those spellings become important. So just watch that in the future when you are spelling chords, you just b the note that's there, E become Eb for example, rather than change it to D#.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:56 PM