2 Pages V   1 2 >  
A Little Blues Improvisation
Headbanger
Apr 7 2014, 02:23 PM
GMC:er
Nobody usually gets to hear any of my music ideas so I tried a very short blues improvisation and posted for the first time to Soundcloud..I'm aware there is a lot room for improvement, but I'm always hyper critical about my stuff and I suppose I'm trying to rectify that by doing this and putting myself out there a bit even if its a rough impro....Otherwise I'll remain in the closet for the rest of my life... laugh.gif For anyone interested I played the Rhythm and lead on my Epiphone Les Paul and the Bass with My Fender Squier VM Precision. smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/headbanger63/rod-blues-in-e

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 7 2014, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Congrats on your first impro uploaded at Soundcloud mate! You have done a very important first step. Now you have broken the ice so I hope to see more ideas soon. Your playing has some details in the begining but then the phrases are played very well and fit great over the backing. I can notice that you have good ear and that your bending technique is very precise.

Room for improvement? If you love music, and you take playing guitar seriously, there will be always room for improvement, it's an endless road and that's why we always say, enjoy the journey.

I'm happy of you mate, keep this stuff coming. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 7 2014, 03:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm glad you decided to come out from the closet biggrin.gif This sounds really cool!!! I like the idea a lot, very musical and fits with my taste. It seem that the blues runs through your veins biggrin.gif Really a great job! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 7 2014, 05:00 PM
Thanks Gabriel and Monica...You made me feel good..very kind and encouraging!!! smile.gif I think there were 'details' all the way through Gab..some phrases seemed to work though!!!! laugh.gif Yes of course I love music!!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 7 2014, 08:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I thought you had some really cool phrasing and nice bends in there, also you played it with real intent. very good indeed smile.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 7 2014, 03:19 PM) *
I'm glad you decided to come out from the closet biggrin.gif

HA! Made me LOL!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Palacios
Apr 8 2014, 12:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Good stuff. That had a great blues feel, and you accented the notes really well. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 8 2014, 07:56 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Very nice! You have a good taste for blues, good articulation technique and a nice tone. I would focus more on the timing and direction - there were moments in which you seemed unsure where the phrase would go smile.gif Listening to more blues music and trying to emulate some phrases from the greats will definitely improve your vocabulary and sense of direction. Of course, you can ALWAYS go for some great blues lessons here at GMC - any favorites already? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 8 2014, 01:11 PM
Instructor
Well well! It's a worldwide celebration to hear Rod's recording biggrin.gif Well done man smile.gif When do You buy drums and learn to play ?biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 8 2014, 03:06 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 7 2014, 08:13 PM) *
I thought you had some really cool phrasing and nice bends in there, also you played it with real intent. very good indeed smile.gif

HA! Made me LOL!

Thanks Bleez!
Haha yes...it was my misuse of that expression that asked for that!!

QUOTE (Palacios @ Apr 8 2014, 12:52 AM) *
Good stuff. That had a great blues feel, and you accented the notes really well. smile.gif

Thanks Palacios...appreciated!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 8 2014, 07:56 AM) *
Hey man! Very nice! You have a good taste for blues, good articulation technique and a nice tone. I would focus more on the timing and direction - there were moments in which you seemed unsure where the phrase would go smile.gif Listening to more blues music and trying to emulate some phrases from the greats will definitely improve your vocabulary and sense of direction. Of course, you can ALWAYS go for some great blues lessons here at GMC - any favorites already? biggrin.gif

Thanks Cosmin! Loads of good blues lessons on here...ones that I like:

Gabs: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-licks1/
Denes Nagy : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Gary-M...le-Rhythm-Solo/
Piotr: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Dynamics/

To be honest, they were on my mind... but there's many more.

I'm trying to improve my timing by playing guitar/bass with drum VSTs and metronomes...and seeing if I can miss out beats sometimes and on others add the beats which are missing etc. My direction was a bit shaky...but I find FOR ME there is a thin line between improvising and having solid direction...I seem to surprise myself and lose my own timing by not having ideas at the ready I suppose..Like you quite rightly said...its a vocabulary thing...this I will endeavour to broaden!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 8 2014, 01:11 PM) *
Well well! It's a worldwide celebration to hear Rod's recording biggrin.gif Well done man smile.gif When do You buy drums and learn to play ?biggrin.gif

Haha...I hope everybody in the world gets to hear this!!!!! laugh.gif The drums...I would love to play them as well...I think anything can help with rhythm and ideas...all I have is some small bongos outside of the virtual world!!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Apr 8 2014, 03:08 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 8 2014, 04:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 7 2014, 01:00 PM) *
Thanks Gabriel and Monica...You made me feel good..very kind and encouraging!!! smile.gif I think there were 'details' all the way through Gab..some phrases seemed to work though!!!! laugh.gif Yes of course I love music!!!

Now that I now that you love music, I hope to find a new improvisation uploaded soon... laugh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2014, 09:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 8 2014, 02:06 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin! Loads of good blues lessons on here...ones that I like:

Gabs: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-licks1/
Denes Nagy : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Gary-M...le-Rhythm-Solo/
Piotr: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Dynamics/

To be honest, they were on my mind... but there's many more.

I'm trying to improve my timing by playing guitar/bass with drum VSTs and metronomes...and seeing if I can miss out beats sometimes and on others add the beats which are missing etc. My direction was a bit shaky...but I find FOR ME there is a thin line between improvising and having solid direction...I seem to surprise myself and lose my own timing by not having ideas at the ready I suppose..Like you quite rightly said...its a vocabulary thing...this I will endeavour to broaden!!! smile.gif

Hey mate smile.gif well, broadening your vocabulary, will automatically make your mind work faster and improvising will naturally have a direction. You will hear things in your head and with a lot of practice you will get closer and closer to putting them into practice in your writing and improvising. Keep at it! The more you do it, the better you'll become!

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 4 2014, 01:32 PM
Instructor
Good job mate!
You know blues... is all about story telling.
In my experience the best choice would be to make use of rhythmic and melodic motifs that's you've already used but you can to take it to a higher level
I have a lesson on this topic that i think it would help smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues_...ovisation_in_A/

I would love to hear your take on it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 4 2014, 08:34 PM
Instructor
Oh, I just remembered this series:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/mixing...n_blues_part_1/

Try them all, as they are 5 different parts and they are very useful in mixing the minor and major blues licks!

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 4 2014, 10:12 PM
I played with a really good drummer for a few years. He was such a pocket dude. One day he made an offhand comment to me that I was always ahead of the beat and rushed things a bit.

And the more I play and record and listen, I hear it.

So much so, that for a while whenever I recorded I asked the engineer to scoot my guitar track back a little bit.

And especially with the blues. The more you can lay back on the beat, the more natural it will feel.

Metal, you can rush a bit and no one will hate on it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

So my advice to you is to see how far back you can lay with your playing. Find a good cadence that matches what you think you do.

I'm still working on finding it myself.

Fun track!

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 7 2014, 01:23 PM) *
Nobody usually gets to hear any of my music ideas so I tried a very short blues improvisation and posted for the first time to Soundcloud..I'm aware there is a lot room for improvement, but I'm always hyper critical about my stuff and I suppose I'm trying to rectify that by doing this and putting myself out there a bit even if its a rough impro....Otherwise I'll remain in the closet for the rest of my life... laugh.gif For anyone interested I played the Rhythm and lead on my Epiphone Les Paul and the Bass with My Fender Squier VM Precision. smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/headbanger63/rod-blues-in-e

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 5 2014, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Indeed - very important aspect of playing! Balance and playing in the pocket smile.gif

I also had the opportunity to play with a few very good drummers and I learned a ton from them - you can play simple, but if you have a wild groove, well no one's ever gonna complain about you playing simple smile.gif

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 4 2014, 09:12 PM) *
I played with a really good drummer for a few years. He was such a pocket dude. One day he made an offhand comment to me that I was always ahead of the beat and rushed things a bit.

And the more I play and record and listen, I hear it.

So much so, that for a while whenever I recorded I asked the engineer to scoot my guitar track back a little bit.

And especially with the blues. The more you can lay back on the beat, the more natural it will feel.

Metal, you can rush a bit and no one will hate on it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

So my advice to you is to see how far back you can lay with your playing. Find a good cadence that matches what you think you do.

I'm still working on finding it myself.

Fun track!

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 5 2014, 05:39 PM
Instructor
I want to add one more lesson that i find very useful for you, other than the ones that my mates already choosed for you.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Drunk-Blues-Soloing/

Maybe it's to much information but you don't have to learn all the long lines...just choose your favourite ones.
when you learn lines try not to make it sound like a lick try to play into the line and out of the line so it sounds like it's a complete.so it flows

+Quote Post
Headbanger
May 27 2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all those replies everybody...I'm just starting to settle now in the UK after moving from Spain and havent been here due to lack of WIFI etc etc. But now I am back playing again (although my Les Paul suffered a broken neck just under the headstock during the shipment) I will take note of all these lessons and advice! I need to lay back from the beat for sure. I always play a bit ahead for some reason!!!!!
Any way Hi again everyone...good to be back!!!! Any changes I should know about?

cool.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
May 27 2014, 08:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Headbanger @ May 27 2014, 06:48 PM) *
(although my Les Paul suffered a broken neck just under the headstock during the shipment)

ohmy.gif holy crap dude! sorry to hear that, what a nightmare.

Welcome back to blighty though wink.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2014, 08:10 AM
Instructor
Welcome back man! I've often heard about the Les Paul neck issues - did you manage to take it to a luthier and fix it?

+Quote Post
Headbanger
May 28 2014, 02:12 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 28 2014, 08:10 AM) *
Welcome back man! I've often heard about the Les Paul neck issues - did you manage to take it to a luthier and fix it?

Haha...thanks Cosmin and Bleez. Ive got someone to fix it and I have presented their quote to the transporters insurance company. The insurance company have another company who are working for them and have initially told me that If I packed anything myself it would not be covered by the insurance under article 7b chpter 6 mk3.2 etc etc etc!!! I of course packed my guitar into its case and apparently that also counts as a reason for them not to cough up the dough. Lets put it this way....discussions are taking place between us....I now have to send more photos of the guitar and the case(the case which isnt damaged BTW!!).I am not allowed to repair it until the case is resolved mad.gif ohmy.gif

Attached Image
(For those who remember...this is my guitar that got 'lost' by Spanish Customs in Madrid for a few weeks after I imported it from New York.) dry.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:10 AM