2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Accepting Negative Comments
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor
That's one VERY valuable thing that I have learned at GMC - how to help people progress, without being a jerk, but by staying honest and realistic. Not everyone reacts well to the proverbial 'kick in the behind' wink.gif

Have you ever received negative comments that really made you think - 'man, what am I actually trying to do here?' How did you manage to pull yourself together and move on?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
May 24 2014, 10:50 AM
GMC:er
I think you're a good instructor Cosmin - you're good at keeping on track and keeping me focused on the immediate goal at hand. I know I stay scattered and want to jump from one idea to the next, it's not that I give up on something, it's that after a while I'm ready to start focusing on something else just to keep my interest level up. So I end up having a lot of things that I am marginally playing as opposed to one thing that I can play really well - before I move onto the next thing. I like the sense of accountability and working at my own pace at the same time.

One day, I might shock us both and actually be able to play something right all the way through. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2014, 01:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ May 24 2014, 09:50 AM) *
I think you're a good instructor Cosmin - you're good at keeping on track and keeping me focused on the immediate goal at hand. I know I stay scattered and want to jump from one idea to the next, it's not that I give up on something, it's that after a while I'm ready to start focusing on something else just to keep my interest level up. So I end up having a lot of things that I am marginally playing as opposed to one thing that I can play really well - before I move onto the next thing. I like the sense of accountability and working at my own pace at the same time.

One day, I might shock us both and actually be able to play something right all the way through. smile.gif

Thank you for your kind thoughts man smile.gif I am just trying to do what I would like another to do for me if I were in that position, so, I guess that's how things are going. Keep rocking and practicing with full focus and one day you will discover that you rock big time biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2014, 12:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 23 2014, 02:04 PM) *
I like the feedback given on this site, it's honest and helpful without beating the crap out of our dreams.

At church we have well meaning people who may not be that musically inclined tell us, you sound just like the Cd, and others wonder why I take the comments with a pinch of salt.

On another guitar site, someone posted a video, his capo was on badly and it affected the guitar's tuning, his chord changes and strumming were badly timed, but he got great comments, now I'm all for encouragement but a dose of reality and suggested improvements go a lot further in someone's guitar journey.

Can't agree more. Some realistic feedback can really help us to note the things that we could improve to improve our playing or compositions. I learnt to be more honest with people when asks me for suggestions but I also learn how and when to say the things that I think could be improved. I feel much better when I can give real feedback and improvement suggestions to a friend or musician that shows me his music or playing and asks me what I think. As Cosmin said, I also think that GMC helped me with this.

I have some friends in who I trust who I usually show my compositions or ideas and ask for feedback... the 3 persons that are my main advisors are my brother, my best friend Esteban and my girlfriend. What about you? Who is your most trusted advisor?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 26 2014, 09:30 AM
GMC:er
Here's some things NOT to do when you're trying to be artistic or creative ...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 26 2014, 10:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 25 2014, 11:08 PM) *
Can't agree more. Some realistic feedback can really help us to note the things that we could improve to improve our playing or compositions. I learnt to be more honest with people when asks me for suggestions but I also learn how and when to say the things that I think could be improved. I feel much better when I can give real feedback and improvement suggestions to a friend or musician that shows me his music or playing and asks me what I think. As Cosmin said, I also think that GMC helped me with this.

I have some friends in who I trust who I usually show my compositions or ideas and ask for feedback... the 3 persons that are my main advisors are my brother, my best friend Esteban and my girlfriend. What about you? Who is your most trusted advisor?

Good call here Gabi smile.gif I guess honesty is a rare trait these days and some people are just not ready to hear the truth roar in their ears and hearts alike. Cezar, my best friend and band mate in Days of Confusion is always a brutally honest individual, to whom I owe a lot of my evolution as a musician and human being alike. He can easily discourage people when he speaks his mind, but if you have ears to hear, you will also hear the thing that could improve what you have shown and take it to the next level wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2014, 04:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 26 2014, 06:41 AM) *
Good call here Gabi smile.gif I guess honesty is a rare trait these days and some people are just not ready to hear the truth roar in their ears and hearts alike. Cezar, my best friend and band mate in Days of Confusion is always a brutally honest individual, to whom I owe a lot of my evolution as a musician and human being alike. He can easily discourage people when he speaks his mind, but if you have ears to hear, you will also hear the thing that could improve what you have shown and take it to the next level wink.gif

yeah, I know guys like Cezar. Sometimes it can be hard but in the end, these are the comments that help us most to know what things we should work. Sometimes this guys are so brutally honest that we need some time to assimilate what they said, but with some time and thinking we finally discover how important guys like him can be for us.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 27 2014, 08:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 26 2014, 03:21 PM) *
yeah, I know guys like Cezar. Sometimes it can be hard but in the end, these are the comments that help us most to know what things we should work. Sometimes this guys are so brutally honest that we need some time to assimilate what they said, but with some time and thinking we finally discover how important guys like him can be for us.

In his case... we both look serious to one another, we asses the situation, he kicks my behind verbally and then we laugh and get to work smile.gif It's easy, once you understand the intention behind someone's words or actions wink.gif

Who are you guys most afraid of sharing your work with?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2014, 04:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 27 2014, 04:06 AM) *
Who are you guys most afraid of sharing your work with?

hehehe great question... sometimes you can even feel nervous when you share your work with someone...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2014, 07:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 27 2014, 03:14 PM) *
hehehe great question... sometimes you can even feel nervous when you share your work with someone...

I think that when I write something for someone... that's when I get the most nervous because I always think 'Will they like it... or not' Brr...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2014, 11:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 28 2014, 03:40 AM) *
I think that when I write something for someone... that's when I get the most nervous because I always think 'Will they like it... or not' Brr...

Are you talking about a love song? tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 29 2014, 07:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 28 2014, 10:09 PM) *
Are you talking about a love song? tongue.gif

Of course, what were you thinking? A hate song maybe? tongue.gif

I am pretty much a sensitive guy and you know how these things go when you pour some heart and soul into a song smile.gif

How many of you guys have written songs for people you like/love and presented these to them?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 29 2014, 07:56 AM

+Quote Post
Mith
May 29 2014, 09:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think showing any peice of origonal music a bit nerve racking. Kind of bearing your soul a little so it can be hard to not take it personnally.

I think the biggest thing when giving constructive feedback is to try give it in manageable amounts. Sure someone might be doing 20 things wrong but if you point them all out in one hit then it hits them pretty hard but if you point out one or 2 things they are like "Oh ok, yeah I can totally work on fixing that" instead of "Oh I've stuffed everything up, whats the point I'm gonna be stuck playing like this forever"

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2014, 02:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 29 2014, 03:55 AM) *
Of course, what were you thinking? A hate song maybe? tongue.gif

I am pretty much a sensitive guy and you know how these things go when you pour some heart and soul into a song smile.gif

How many of you guys have written songs for people you like/love and presented these to them?

I've done this, and I've also felt very nervous and shy when the other person was ready to listen to it for the first time... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 30 2014, 09:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 29 2014, 01:26 PM) *
I've done this, and I've also felt very nervous and shy when the other person was ready to listen to it for the first time... biggrin.gif

Has it turned bad or not in the way you expected it, in any situation?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2014, 03:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 30 2014, 05:54 AM) *
Has it turned bad or not in the way you expected it, in any situation?

It turned great!! and I was relieved. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 2 2014, 07:23 AM
Instructor
I once ended up in a situation in which the reaction was 'Mmm, I think I'll get something to eat, that's nice btw' laugh.gif

It was a sign that I wasted a bit too much energy tho laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 2 2014, 06:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 2 2014, 03:23 AM) *
I once ended up in a situation in which the reaction was 'Mmm, I think I'll get something to eat, that's nice btw' laugh.gif

It was a sign that I wasted a bit too much energy tho laugh.gif

mm that must have been a very uncomfortable situation! What happened then? As Trent Reznor says... was it the beginning of the end?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 3 2014, 07:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 2 2014, 05:51 PM) *
mm that must have been a very uncomfortable situation! What happened then? As Trent Reznor says... was it the beginning of the end?

Oh my... and what an end... I got slapped in front of ALL my audience in club gig which was FULL with people.

Women are pretty weird when they don't understand it's over... That was an evening that will haunt me for a LONG time laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:47 PM