Are You Good At Guitar?
Gabriel Leopardi
May 25 2014, 11:02 PM
Instructor
I honestly used to feel embarrassed when someone asked me this question. With the pass of time, I dedicated my life to music and guitar so the answer became a bit easier... I use to say: "I dedicate profesionally to music and guitar". I know that it's not the correct answer to that question but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying, "yes, I'm good!", it sounds egocentric for me...

Have you ever got this question? How do you answer?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 25 2014, 11:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 25 2014, 10:02 PM) *
I honestly used to feel embarrassed when someone asked me this question. With the pass of time, I dedicated my life to music and guitar so the answer became a bit easier... I use to say: "I dedicate profesionally to music and guitar". I know that it's not the correct answer to that question but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying, "yes, I'm good!", it sounds egocentric for me...

im around alot of musicians, at work. gigging and visiting to watch gigging friends.
sometimes we talk and i mention i play guitar. sometimes they ask if im any good and what do i play. im at a loss of words when they ask this cause i dont know how to reply.
i say im learning and i like to play alot of music, not once has any of them said come by and jam, wich is what im hoping for laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 25 2014, 11:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 25 2014, 07:12 PM) *
im around alot of musicians, at work. gigging and visiting to watch gigging friends.
sometimes we talk and i mention i play guitar. sometimes they ask if im any good and what do i play. im at a loss of words when they ask this cause i dont know how to reply.
i say im learning and i like to play alot of music, not once has any of them said come by and jam, wich is what im hoping for laugh.gif

I think that sometimes being too humble can be negative and can make you lose a good oportunity, don't you think so? (sounding egocentric can also make it happens and that's what makes this difficult).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 25 2014, 11:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 25 2014, 10:22 PM) *
I think that sometimes being too humble can be negative and can make you lose a good oportunity, don't you think so? (sounding egocentric can also make it happens and that's what makes this difficult).

yes, thats what i think to, i get the impression that they think im new, wich i am. but maybe i coudnt keep up, and maybe thats so.
but someday ill get that guy who says lets jam, most these guys who come to my bar dont say to much, its loud and rocking everyday, and i dont want to be the guy who is just saying he plays guitar,
i once said i play guitar to, to a guy who works at the same hotel in a different department, who said he also played guitar, and he replied everyone in vegas tries to play guitar, i cracked a smile and shrugged it off, thought it was a bit rude, i see that guy a few days a week and neither of us has talked since but whatever ill keep jammin wink.gif and hhok up with someone one of these days.

also the musicians at my bar are no joke so its a bit intimidating
here is a video of the stage at my bar

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 26 2014, 12:13 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 25 2014, 11:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 25 2014, 11:02 PM) *

IF i AM PLAYING GUITAR NEXT TO YOU PLAYING GUITAR THAN,NO.If I am jamming in front of the kids , I am rocking

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 26 2014, 10:24 AM
Instructor
I like to tell them that I am the best guitarist there is.... in my house laugh.gif

That's a silly question, as we all know, but you can't blame people that don't get the idea of music not being a sport wink.gif

Jack White is good with a guitar and Al Di Meola is good with a guitar smile.gif It is important not to compare!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2014, 04:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 25 2014, 07:52 PM) *
yes, thats what i think to, i get the impression that they think im new, wich i am. but maybe i coudnt keep up, and maybe thats so.
but someday ill get that guy who says lets jam, most these guys who come to my bar dont say to much, its loud and rocking everyday, and i dont want to be the guy who is just saying he plays guitar,
i once said i play guitar to, to a guy who works at the same hotel in a different department, who said he also played guitar, and he replied everyone in vegas tries to play guitar, i cracked a smile and shrugged it off, thought it was a bit rude, i see that guy a few days a week and neither of us has talked since but whatever ill keep jammin wink.gif and hhok up with someone one of these days.

also the musicians at my bar are no joke so its a bit intimidating
here is a video of the stage at my bar

wou, they are really good! It must be great to have a bar with good live music. Is this the band that always play at the bar? I think that it's usually called "home band" or something like that...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 26 2014, 05:26 PM
GMC:er
I always ask them who they think is a good guitar player. That sort of re-directs the conversation.
Or, say - "you tell me, come out to a gig". Easy self-promotion.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 26 2014, 05:27 PM

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 26 2014, 07:19 PM
Instructor
It always makes me laugh when I hear this question or anything related to this frame of mind. At the end of a show or any kind of a material my guitar playing is involved in, if I know that my efforts of comunicating something emotionaly were met, I'm happy smile.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 26 2014, 08:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 26 2014, 03:16 PM) *
wou, they are really good! It must be great to have a bar with good live music. Is this the band that always play at the bar? I think that it's usually called "home band" or something like that...

we have 4 resident bands, all of them are really good, real pro's, its really inspiring to watch them play. the guys i do know in the bands are real cool and have been involved in music all there lives, sometimes i get off work after 8 hours of bustin my ass the first thing i do is come home and play guitar, cause after watching these guys i get more inpired to play smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2014, 10:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 26 2014, 01:26 PM) *
I always ask them who they think is a good guitar player. That sort of re-directs the conversation.
Or, say - "you tell me, come out to a gig". Easy self-promotion.

The invitation sounds like a good idea because you are telling them that you already ply on stage so they will imagine that you have a good average level without sounding egocentric. Good idea.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 26 2014, 04:22 PM) *
we have 4 resident bands, all of them are really good, real pro's, its really inspiring to watch them play. the guys i do know in the bands are real cool and have been involved in music all there lives, sometimes i get off work after 8 hours of bustin my ass the first thing i do is come home and play guitar, cause after watching these guys i get more inpired to play smile.gif

I love when this happens, getting back home from a concert and feeling the necessity of playing. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 27 2014, 08:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ May 26 2014, 06:19 PM) *
It always makes me laugh when I hear this question or anything related to this frame of mind. At the end of a show or any kind of a material my guitar playing is involved in, if I know that my efforts of comunicating something emotionaly were met, I'm happy smile.gif

Best approach smile.gif As long as you transmit the message, everything is going great!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2014, 04:12 PM
Instructor
and the other question that comes to mind it... what do you think when someone that you don't know says: "I'm a very good guitarist" ? Has this ever happened to you?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 27 2014, 04:26 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 27 2014, 08:12 AM) *
and the other question that comes to mind it... what do you think when someone that you don't know says: "I'm a very good guitarist" ? Has this ever happened to you?

I kinda answer it the same way I do when asked if I'm good but I turn it around ...
I ask, "cool - when and where is your next gig?"

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2014, 04:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 27 2014, 12:26 PM) *
I kinda answer it the same way I do when asked if I'm good but I turn it around ...
I ask, "cool - when and where is your next gig?"

hahaha and the guy gets nervous.. laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2014, 08:11 AM
Instructor
I just smile and that's that biggrin.gif Easier than anything wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2014, 10:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 28 2014, 04:11 AM) *
I just smile and that's that biggrin.gif Easier than anything wink.gif

hahaha biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:21 AM