The day I gave up…
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
...wanting and started doing instead.

I think most of us have made some life-changing decisions: perhaps to start practicing 10 hours a day, get rid of a bad habit or (etc…) Have you made such a decision?

When I was 13-14 years old, I was always dreaming of playing the guitar and be like Slash (I will admit holding the guitar viceversa, even if I am NOT a leftie and imitating Slash's posture in the churchyard when he performs the November Rain solo) and at one point, I just picked it up and started exploring.

What was it that inspired you?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hajduk
May 28 2014, 09:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
After I had stopped playing guitar for over 10 years, I had always wanted to start again but never did anything about it especially at the time I was really heavy into teaching self defense and training, but then my sons 11th birthday was coming up and I needed a gift, saw a guitar and amp for sale for 120 dollars and thought what a cool gift for my son and me smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Spock
May 28 2014, 10:08 AM
GMC:er
I saw this man on tv and then purchased his book "The Life Plan". His name is Dr. Jeffrey Life, and what struck me more than anything is that it is never too late to start something new or reverse the bad which has been done.

This plan, even though it focuses on health, can be emphasized in any aspect of our life.

He was 74 when this picture was taken, I'm guessing he's 78 now.

I've gained 20 lbs. since my surgery last year - because all that junk got me out of my over compulsive routine, but I have just started getting back into it (2 weeks ago - except for weights) - and remembering there is not enough time in the day. When you wake up, work out, practice guitar, go to work, come home play guitar for another hour - sleep comes very easily and very easy. That's also why I'm more creative in the mornings and weekends - because after work, I'm mentally exhausted.

But I'd love to be built like that and be able to shred the electric guitar when I'm 75 years old.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 28 2014, 10:09 AM

+Quote Post
Romko
May 28 2014, 01:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
So I think - if you have 50 or more may effectively improve their guitar technique.
I understand that it is not necessary to stop. But the result will be appropriate for work? ... huh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 28 2014, 04:25 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Romko @ May 28 2014, 02:53 PM) *
So I think - if you have 50 or more may effectively improve their guitar technique.
I understand that it is not necessary to stop. But the result will be appropriate for work? ... huh.gif

You mean if you can work yourself up to a professional level even at a later age? If that's the question, then my answer would be: YES

Music has nothing to do with age.

Go go go go go go go go go go go

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2014, 10:36 PM
Instructor
This is turning into a very inspiring thread. Spock's post confirms that it's never too late for nothing. I had several moments like this one during my life. When I started to play guitar is one, but another important one is when I started my band Cirse. I was playing on a Power Metal band with several issues with band members, it was difficult to advance and I wasn't the one who could take the decisions. The second time we had to change the singer I took a fundamental decision in my life: I will start my own thing, I don't want that my dreams depend on anybody else...
The Power Metal band was good and relatively known, so starting something new was scary, but if you follow my band's activity, I can say that it has been a great decision.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 29 2014, 09:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 28 2014, 03:25 PM) *
You mean if you can work yourself up to a professional level even at a later age? If that's the question, then my answer would be: YES

Music has nothing to do with age.

Go go go go go go go go go go go

Exactly! I think Kris knows that we had students here that were between 60-75 years of age and that didn't stop them from learning and enjoying music.

The important thing is HOW bad you want this? smile.gif Are you ready to work for what you want? That's pretty much all there is to it!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 28 2014, 09:36 PM) *
This is turning into a very inspiring thread. Spock's post confirms that it's never too late for nothing. I had several moments like this one during my life. When I started to play guitar is one, but another important one is when I started my band Cirse. I was playing on a Power Metal band with several issues with band members, it was difficult to advance and I wasn't the one who could take the decisions. The second time we had to change the singer I took a fundamental decision in my life: I will start my own thing, I don't want that my dreams depend on anybody else...
The Power Metal band was good and relatively known, so starting something new was scary, but if you follow my band's activity, I can say that it has been a great decision.

I say it was a great decision! Being able to make a decision and not being scared of the unknown is a trait of character found in strong people!

Also, being able to commit to something is characteristic to strong people - I have heard A LOT of folks stating that commitment is not for them and so on and so forth. They are actually scared of what might happen and they choose to be stuck in their commodity/fear.

I think GMC teaches commitment to healthy/spiritual activities revolving around music and encouraging people to have the guts to go on when things aren't looking bright sometimes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
May 29 2014, 10:33 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Spock @ May 28 2014, 05:08 AM) *

But I'd love to be built like that and be able to shred the electric guitar when I'm 75 years old.

I guess that photo didn't link over and sort of killed what I was trying to say - just noticing that - anyway, here is the inspiration I was referring too...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2014, 02:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 29 2014, 05:18 AM) *
Exactly! I think Kris knows that we had students here that were between 60-75 years of age and that didn't stop them from learning and enjoying music.

The important thing is HOW bad you want this? smile.gif Are you ready to work for what you want? That's pretty much all there is to it!

I say it was a great decision! Being able to make a decision and not being scared of the unknown is a trait of character found in strong people!

Also, being able to commit to something is characteristic to strong people - I have heard A LOT of folks stating that commitment is not for them and so on and so forth. They are actually scared of what might happen and they choose to be stuck in their commodity/fear.

I think GMC teaches commitment to healthy/spiritual activities revolving around music and encouraging people to have the guts to go on when things aren't looking bright sometimes smile.gif

yeah, that''s what is usually called the "false optimism". You say I would change? If I'm ok, this situation is not that bad... "not that bad" means that you have to act and change.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 30 2014, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Nicely said smile.gif I met a great deal of people that would like some things to happen but when the time comes for that leap of faith, they somehow back off. Those that do not back off, are the ones that usually succeed.

Let's see guys - let's share some stories about decisions and acting upon them smile.gif When did you face a great fear in respect to music and then acted against all odds to discover you managed to pull things through?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:24 AM