Flat Or Punchy Mix?, Is it really all subjective?
thefireball
Jun 1 2014, 02:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi. I'm wondering which way is more "right" to make a mix? I enjoy a really punchy mix, but maybe my idea of punchy is too much. I know mixing is all subjective, but maybe there's a reason the pros make mixes a little more flat; thus, mixes sound good everywhere, not just in your sonically imbalanced, biased home studio. tongue.gif

I have Superior Drummer Metal Foundry, EZMix 2 with the Guitar Gods guitar presets, and iZotope Ozone 5, but it still hasn't made me a professional mixer. rolleyes.gif Perhaps now mediocre mixing is within my reach if I can be trained to know the balance between the guitars and drums, etc. It seems like the guitars do not need to stand out as much as I have been accustomed to, and the kick to be brought back in.

Perhaps I'm on the right track, but please allow me to show some examples. smile.gif

Here Daniel Bergstrand mixes this Meshuggah Toontrack example. Notice how flat the mix is. The kick drum doesn't really stand out as much as I have grown to thought it should (to really hit you in the face.)
https://soundcloud.com/toontrack/koloss-s2-0-producer-presets

I think I was on the right track when I produced my Falling Winter single last year. I think it's my imagination, but it almost seems like it's more punchy in the DAW before I render it down. huh.gif I use Reaper, btw. But notice how much the kick is standing out. dry.gif
https://soundcloud.com/fireball100/falling-winter-extended

One thing I marvel at is how much mix separation people like Nolly and Bulb can achieve. Everything also sounds very balanced and not too warm. Or maybe that's just the modern sound people go for now. It's like when you turn down the volume, everything still sounds nice and balanced. If you turn it up, the bass and kick drum hit you in the face very nicely.
https://soundcloud.com/iambulb/prs-archon-test

Does any of this make sense, or just random gibberish? I need direction or at least some discussion. I want to mix like that last set from Bulb.

Thanks for any advise. smile.gif
Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by thefireball: Jun 1 2014, 09:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2014, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Hi Brandon, it's great to compare those 3 different tracks. Mixing is part of the creation process so once you cover the basic technique parameters, there are many subjective decisions that are directly connected to your tastes. I checked the 3 mixed and I have to say that I loved the first one, it's my favorite, it's clean, clear, flat but powerful. It sounds more natural for me. I think that going for a flat mix has the advantage that you said, it will sound balanced everywhere.

Where can I find the specifications about what is used on that Meshuggah Toontrack example?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 1 2014, 06:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's a video of the Meshuggah audio and a link as well so you can read the description of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvSTTnVyms

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 1 2014, 06:56 PM
GMC:er
I think you want to use a multband spectrum analyzer while mixing smile.gif

http://www.voxengo.com/product/spanplus/ but check for other brands or freeware as I don't know if this is the best or most affordable.

I never used this method but I do know people using it with success, basicly you group instruments and divide their average freq. results in one window. The flatter the total response in the better (perfectly flat would probably suck) but don't go overboard and aim for anything visual ok? its still all about ears smile.gif its ment to fix the freq. points where instruments meet and build up in a bad way.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:29 AM