Question About Music Software For Beginners. :), Cubase Elements 6, EZdrummer
eMGie
Jun 5 2012, 01:14 PM
GMC:er
Hi GMC!

I'm thinking about buing some musical software. I always thought that bought software works better than illegal version, that why I want to buy them. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I found these two to be in my price range: Cubase Elements 6, and EZdrummer.

Do they work well together? Are they a good choice for a beginner (in musical software) like me?

I'm connecting my guitar via Tone Port (Line6).

What I generally need: To record guitar tracks, midi instruments (I compose some strings for example in guitar pro then I could export midi), easy drums, some effects like reverb, delay, compression etc. It seems that these two programs have all of that, am I right? I just want to prepere some backing tracks, record some solos, or maybe someday prepare a whole song.

I have only a little expercience in recording in Reaper (mostly RECs take for GMC).

Please give me some advice. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2012, 11:52 PM
Some drum software is a Must Have and EZ drummer is a great place to start. I'd skip cubase elements and just use REAPER. Lots of folks use Reaper, I don't know anyone personally who uses elements as I understand its the crippled version of cubase. But hey, thats just me smile.gif I'd say put the money in to a plugin rather than cubase. Maybe Ozone?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 6 2012, 12:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
I agree with Todd. REAPER is a really good app, plus Todd and several others on this forum are acquainted with it so I'm sure they'd be willing to answer questions concerning it.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 02:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (eMGie @ Jun 5 2012, 12:14 PM) *
Hi GMC!

I'm thinking about buing some musical software. I always thought that bought software works better than illegal version, that why I want to buy them. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Do they work well together? Are they a good choice for a beginner (in musical software) like me?

What I generally need: To record guitar tracks, midi instruments (I compose some strings for example in guitar pro then I could export midi), easy drums, some effects like reverb, delay, compression etc. It seems that these two programs have all of that, am I right? I just want to prepere some backing tracks, record some solos, or maybe someday prepare a whole song.

I have only a little expercience in recording in Reaper (mostly RECs take for GMC).

Those are good choices! I don't think there is such thing as software for beginners:) I would suggest Logic instead of Cubase because it used in more studios and places and also it works very well with a very friendly interface!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 6 2012, 09:39 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (eMGie @ Jun 5 2012, 01:14 PM) *
Hi GMC!

... I always thought that bought software works better than illegal version, that why I want to buy them. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Illegal versions often have siginficant issues that may result in drop outs/clicks/pops or even white noise in recording/mixing. They may include malware. Also, the use of and promotion of cracked software would be a breach of GMC forum guidelines.

There's no particular reason why that version of Cubase wouldn't work but if you already have and use Reaper why change?

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 6 2012, 02:35 AM) *
Those are good choices! I don't think there is such thing as software for beginners:) I would suggest Logic instead of Cubase because it used in more studios and places and also it works very well with a very friendly interface!

DAW software for beginners - maybe Cakewalk. Logic is indeed used on many Mac based platforms and is also popular in the USA particularly with project studios. In Europe however Cubase has a much wider studio and user base, particularly on pcs. Pro end mixing and post however tends to be dominated by PT-HD and to a lesser extent Cubase/Nuendo . Pro end mastering is more SADiE, Pyramix and Sequoia.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 6 2012, 11:48 AM
I agree with Todd. I'd buy EZ Drummer (and maybe some extra packs like Metalheads, Classic Rock etc) and maybe some other Plug-ins, VST's etc and carry on using Reaper.
Reaper is great for learning with and if, at a later date, you want to step up your DAW then do so.
smile.gif smile.gif

Are you PC or Mac based? If Mac then Logic would be the way to go in the future!
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jun 9 2012, 09:00 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
eMGie
Jun 7 2012, 09:40 AM
Thank you for all the answers! smile.gif

Illegal versions often have siginficant issues that may result in drop outs/clicks/pops or even white noise in recording/mixing. They may include malware. Also, the use of and promotion of cracked software would be a breach of GMC forum guidelines.

It was just a joke. smile.gif I didn't have anything wrong in mind. smile.gif

Are you PC or Mac based? If Mac then Logic would be the way to go in the future!

PC!

And why Cubase? Well I like that it contains all the effects that I need, so I wont have to worry about looking for them. The package contains Halion Sonic SE - I think it will be perfect for me to start creating some easy orchestral music (this is one thing that I've always wanted to try). Also I have some huuuge dvd lesson about Cubase (I recieved it as a gift from someone who didn't know that I wasn't using cubase) its 10 hours long - from very basics to more advance stuff. I think that after learning it I'll know more about cubase than reaper anyway. smile.gif

Also most people that I know use cubase or nuendo. These are more popular among my friends than reaper. smile.gif

Which expansion do you recommend for EZdrummer for someone who like metal? DFH, Metal Machine or Metalheads? I've hear that the best one is Metal Machine, but I want to know yor opinion. smile.gif

Again thanks!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2012, 06:58 AM
Logic is AWESOME but only for MACINTOSH folks. PC people have to find another choice sadly. So REAPER is a great place to start and eventually you may transition to PRO TOOLS.

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 5 2012, 09:35 PM) *

METAL MACHINE is a great pack. All the METAL packs are darn good. I bought drums from hell, and machine and some metal midi packs. Great stuff smile.gif

If most of your pals use cubase, then getting it is a good idea. But knowing more than one DAW is a good thing. TONS of folks use REAPER so I would keep using Reaper and maybe add cubase for projects you might share with friends.

+Quote Post
eMGie
Jun 8 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks again. smile.gif

Btw. Is it true that Machintoshs are more popular than PCs in the USA? In Poland it's really rare to see someone using MACs (moslly because of the prices smile.gif ).

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Jun 9 2012, 08:15 PM
I use Cubase5 Essential with EZ Drummer through a UX2. I chose Cubase because I thought the manual was good and I was new to it at the time.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
eMGie
Jun 9 2012, 08:45 PM
hehe thats almost exactly the same I'm going to use biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Jun 9 2012, 11:49 PM
QUOTE (eMGie @ Jun 9 2012, 07:45 PM) *
hehe thats almost exactly the same I'm going to use biggrin.gif

Cool, it works for me. I'd also recommend the book "Guerilla Recording" by Carl Coryat, it explains the science of things like compression which makes them easier to learn when you understand their relevance. If you don't read it all the way through it can be used like an encyclopedia for whatever you might be doing at the time.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 10 2012, 11:28 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Jun 9 2012, 11:49 PM) *
Cool, it works for me. I'd also recommend the book "Guerilla Recording" by Carl Coryat, it explains the science of things like compression which makes them easier to learn when you understand their relevance. If you don't read it all the way through it can be used like an encyclopedia for whatever you might be doing at the time.

I'd also add that compressors are maybe the dynamic processor that people struggle most with initially. It's not helped as many manufacturers use different words and labels for the same controls and what controlls are included often depends not only on the type of compressor but on what features the manufacturer wants to emphasise. So I'd strongly recommend that you supplement reading with actual hands on experience starting with the most basic compressor that you can find. Use it and get experience of hearing what the different controls do and how they affect the dynamics both for an individual instrument/track/group and also when on the main bus. Once you're confident with a simple compressor then look at the more complicated ones.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:32 AM