Speaker Cabinet Construction, Baltic Birch
Mudbone
Oct 16 2010, 07:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Okay so this is a repost of a topic I brought up a couple of days ago. The original post was taken down because my description of the unsavory character I bought a cab from didn't meet GMC guidelines.

Anyways, the cab is a Marshall JCM800 1960A with G12T-75's, acquired for $250. Pretty cheap, but there are a few things in it that have to be corrected. The previous owner installed a baffle dividing the cab into two halves, then added another input and wired it in stereo, essentially making it two 212 cabs. The other problem is it smells like cigarettes and cheap air freshener, its actually kinda stinking up my place. Other than that it sounds great, which is all I really care about. I intend on returning to stock condition.

So once I remove the dividing baffle, the reinforcing post that goes from the front baffle to the back panel has to be replaced. Now I know that the rest of the cab is constructed of baltic birch, but I don't know if that particular piece is as well. Does anybody know if that piece is baltic birch? Or if the wood type for that piece actually makes any sonic difference? All feedback is greatly appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 20 2010, 01:41 AM
Instructor
Hmm, not sure.. But, I would be interested to know how you are going to use the cab: mono, stereo..? Perhaps you can remove the inner dividing baffle completely?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 20 2010, 02:29 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 19 2010, 08:41 PM) *
Hmm, not sure.. But, I would be interested to know how you are going to use the cab: mono, stereo..? Perhaps you can remove the inner dividing baffle completely?

Thanks for you feedback Ivan, but this problem has already been resolved smile.gif I posted the results in the post titled, "Pictures Brotherman Todd Simpson Requested". I just removed the middle baffle, installed a 2x4 support post and wired it back in mono.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 21 2010, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Ahh, I've seen that post but didn't quite understand the problem was solved. Sorry bout that! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:25 PM