Troubles With Vibrato
Ryan
Apr 17 2007, 04:53 AM
GMC:er
for some reason i cant do it....even if i move the string up and down...fast...again and again..it just doesnt sound right....is this just somehting that comes natural after long years of practice....or is somehting u have to work on just like legato, or sweeps???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moorkop
Apr 17 2007, 07:25 AM
it does take a lot of practice, but maybe your doing something wrong.., and as everything with guitar, you need to have the technique, hardly anything comes natural
you could try to upload a video so that we can see what you do wrong. I always find when i analyse the problem with a vid i myself can see what i do wrong.

vibrato is the most important technique to distinguish you from other players, since everyone does it different. It does take years of practise to develop your own cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 17 2007, 02:23 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (moorkop @ Apr 17 2007, 02:25 AM) *
it does take a lot of practice, but maybe your doing something wrong.., and as everything with guitar, you need to have the technique, hardly anything comes natural
you could try to upload a video so that we can see what you do wrong. I always find when i analyse the problem with a vid i myself can see what i do wrong.

vibrato is the most important technique to distinguish you from other players, since everyone does it different. It does take years of practise to develop your own cool.gif

Yeah, practice (as ever) - try and start slowly and develop an even motion that sounds good, and speed up over time. Moorkops' idea of posting a video was great - then everyone can see what you are doing and give you tips - it helped me spot a flaw in the way I was holding the guitar thanks to Pavel.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 17 2007, 09:55 PM
ok ill post up a vid on here in a lil while whenever i have time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 19 2007, 04:35 AM
Question...in doin vibrato..do you use your whole hand..like in a up and down motion...or do you just use your finger...bending and releasing the string???.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 19 2007, 09:49 AM
Instructor
There are a couple of ways to do it: one is as you said - with the whole hand, and the other one is with a wrist+finger - that would be the Steve Vai style and i do it like that. You get a bit different sound from the type of bending.

Edit: just saw my mistake here. Fixed now! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: May 5 2007, 10:23 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 19 2007, 10:11 PM
ok cool cool.....cus i try to do it both ways like in some of your lessons pavel i just use a finger....and but in gab's lessons...like yngwie lesson 2...i try to use my whole hand.....but see for some reason when i use my whole hand..it doesnt make vibrato sound..the string is moving up and down..cus ive tried it over and over again..and watched....but it doesnt make a sound like if i were to jsut use my finger.......ill just make a video of me using my whole hand so you can see if i im doin something wrong biggrin.gif

and also whats the secret on doin vibrato on the high e string...if there is any..cus i always seem it make the string fall.......

This post has been edited by Ryan: Apr 19 2007, 10:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 5 2007, 10:02 PM
ok well heres the video of me doing vibrato..please help....me....im embarrased because of my vibrato sucking..and it not sounding right to me.but yea..heres some sucky vibrato sad.gif

please please respond quickly..i have to go to work in like 1 hour..sad.gif

This post has been edited by Ryan: May 5 2007, 10:09 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Vibrato_Sucky.avi ( 4.2MB ) Number of downloads: 188

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 5 2007, 10:22 PM
Instructor
Ok i checked it out and here are suggestions:

- it will be much easier to master vibrato if you practice it on 2nd and 3rd strings

- work with the wrist to get Steve Vai'sh legato. Legato is about FINGER+WRIST movement or the whole hand. I find it easier to do with the wrist

I'll be recording a new lesson tomorrow so i'll make a short video of vibrato and post here in this topic.

EDIT: I am sorry - in my last post i forgot to mention the wrist! Well it will be the best when i record a video of it! Tomorrow! Because text explanation of technique is TOO DIFFICULT!

This post has been edited by Pavel: May 5 2007, 10:26 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 5 2007, 10:33 PM
oooo ok...well ill try that thx a lot pavel for replying quickly....i thought you just bent you finger........but thank you..biggrin.gif i will start practicing it on the 2nd and 3rd strings and use the finger+wrist movement thing biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 5 2007, 10:46 PM
Instructor
It will be here tomorrow evening! You can just practice something else and don't bother yourself with that. When you see the right way you'll able to practice the right way!

After i post a video of my "wrist" vibrato maybe we could ask Gabriel to post a short video of "hand" vibrato!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 5 2007, 11:02 PM
ok cool good thing i dont work tomorrow biggrin.gif..i just practice the 2 string sweeps from gabs new lesson and my ap from your new lesson biggrin.gif....and that would be cool if Gabriel would do that biggrin.gif that would help lots to have 2 different ways to do vibrato.....its easier to do the whole hand movement on the higher strings like High E..than on the low E...but i just use my finger for the lower 1s ..if that makes any since tongue.gif

cant wait to know actually know how to do it correctly tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Ryan: May 5 2007, 11:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 7 2007, 05:44 PM
Instructor
Sorry for 1 day delay but i had some things to sort out! Here is a short video for vibrato the way i do it. I didn't bother myself with SUPER QUALITY editing but the resolution is larger than regular GMC lessons so you can see it bigger!

Let me know if it helped!

Attached File  Vibrato.avi ( 5.77MB ) Number of downloads: 163

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 7 2007, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 7 2007, 11:44 AM) *
Sorry for 1 day delay but i had some things to sort out! Here is a short video for vibrato the way i do it. I didn't bother myself with SUPER QUALITY editing but the resolution is larger than regular GMC lessons so you can see it bigger!

Let me know if it helped!

Attached File  Vibrato.avi ( 5.77MB ) Number of downloads: 163

o no problem about the 1 day delay..im just glad to be able to finally find out how to do it correctly......THANK YOU

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:53 PM