2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ngd, It's here
Phil66
Oct 30 2018, 09:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's lovely, the neck is superb, if I was going on stage I might think about changing the pickguard but that's unlikely to happen.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 1 2018, 08:39 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 30 2018, 10:21 PM
GMC:er
Congrats! from the pic.s the condition looks very good too, very good score smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2018, 10:30 PM
I'll post some brighter pics tomorrow, it looks lovely with the spotlights on it hanging on the wall.

It has some chips which I knew about and at first I days going to leave them but I have it a good clean and as they're in the darkest areas of he wood, a little dab with a marker pen and they are much less noticeable. At the end of the day it's a Stevie Ray Vaughan strat so it should have some battle scars wink.gif

It's set up nicely but has 9s on, I've only got 10s, will a straight swap be OK without truss rod adjustment? I tend to pick deep so a tiny bit more bow in the neck won't hurt wink.gif

I got it for £999 Inc delivery etc.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 31 2018, 12:04 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 30 2018, 01:30 PM) *
I'll post some brighter pics tomorrow, it looks lovely with the spotlights on it hanging on the wall.

It has some chips which I knew about and at first I days going to leave them but I have it a good clean and as they're in the darkest areas of he wood, a little dab with a marker pen and they are much less noticeable. At the end of the day it's a Stevie Ray Vaughan strat so it should have some battle scars wink.gif

It's set up nicely but has 9s on, I've only got 10s, will a straight swap be OK without truss rod adjustment? I tend to pick deep so a tiny bit more bow in the neck won't hurt wink.gif

Cheers

Looks pretty nice, Phil. Congrats! May it serve you well. I don't think switching to 10's is going to necessitate a truss rob adjustment but that will ultimately be up to you and how much relief there is in the neck now. I would just swap strings and see how she rides and go from there. smile.gif You may want to adjust the springs depending on how you want the trem to set as well.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Oct 31 2018, 12:26 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 31 2018, 07:31 AM
GMC Founder
Beautiful guitar mate, I bet it's going to trigger you to play even bluesier!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2018, 09:20 AM
Score!!! I think you are gonna really dig this. It's perfect for your exploration of Blues!!
Todd

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 31 2018, 05:05 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 30 2018, 09:30 PM) *

Cheers

It shows that the previous owner cared for it too considering it has been gigged. This sort of facts makes a used guitar a perfect buy only a guitar player would understand smile.gif

Yeah personally with such guitar I'd let the strings a bit high for being able to pick hard when I feel like it. As AK Rich noted only keep an eye for the bridge if it will float too much.

Its been a while since I played one, these guitars as you can imagine new in my country are extremely expensive. I think a friend of mine in a store handed one to me last time I played one, about 3-4 years ago and remembered liking its sound had a different character compared to standard strats.

Maybe because I don't own/play but have tested so many strats for friends, there are few guitars that comes to my mind I personally liked and that SRV model is one of them. I'm very happy for you.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 31 2018, 05:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 31 2018, 07:53 PM
Nice!
10s should be fine.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 31 2018, 08:12 PM
Thanks. It's a beaut. Apparently they are shipped with 10s so the nut will be better suited too. I think in going to take it to my luthier anyway, just for a once over and pro set up.

I think it's a 2003 from the serial number, what do you think?

I'm loving it smile.gif

Here's another pic, I need to swap some pics on the wall wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 1 2018, 09:25 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 1 2018, 10:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
She's a beaut, Phil!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2018, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your kind comments everyone. It feels so nice when playing it I actually got a little bit emotional last night. wub.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 1 2018, 02:47 PM
Yes, it's a 2003.

For those that are curious about dating a Fender guitar ...
S = signature model and Z = 2000's. The first number after the letter is the year. SZ3 = sig model, 200(3)

*Fender started using a letter followed by five to seven digit numbers in the late seventies with letter S, then E for the eighties and N for the nineties. Z was used from 2000-2009 and a bit in 2010. At some point in 2010 for the USA made guitars they started putting US followed by the two digit year so a 2011 serial will start with US11.

There are anomalies with custom shop stuff and special edition guitars.
Some sig guitars got a special prefix such as the Eric Johnson models (EJ) and some didn't. The SRV Strat did not get a unique prefix.
Axes made outside of the USA use different letters up front.
Obvious ones are M = Mexico, MIJ = made in Japan, etc.

Here's a breakdown of the entire SN history ... https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-a-fender

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 1 2018, 03:03 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2018, 03:15 PM
Thanks Ken, you are our Fender guru wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 1 2018, 05:03 PM
In the mid 90s I taught guitar at a vintage shop here in LA and before that in 'mom and pop' music store that bought and sold a lot of used gear. I learned a lot about identifying instruments, how to spot fakes and non-original parts.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2018, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Wou!! That's an amazing guitar Phil!! Congratulations my friend!!

I can seee how SRV and blues made a great impact on you recently. I hope to see this one in action at the Blues Jam thread!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2018, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 1 2018, 05:03 PM) *
In the mid 90s I taught guitar at a vintage shop here in LA and before that in 'mom and pop' music store that bought and sold a lot of used gear. I learned a lot about identifying instruments, how to spot fakes and non-original parts.

Interesting, I'm pretty sure mine isn't fake, got it from GuitarGuitar Glasgow, they have a few shops around UK.

I really really like the frets. They're kinda high but slim, very low friction. Lurvley.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 1 2018, 08:08 PM) *
Wou!! That's an amazing guitar Phil!! Congratulations my friend!!

I can seee how SRV and blues made a great impact on you recently. I hope to see this one in action at the Blues Jam thread!

Thanks Gab, glad you like it. Yeah since that Denes SRV lesson I've been really really switched onto SRV.

Cheers buddy,.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 1 2018, 08:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 2 2018, 01:58 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 1 2018, 12:33 PM) *
Interesting, I'm pretty sure mine isn't fake, got it from GuitarGuitar Glasgow, they have a few shops around UK.

I really really like the frets. They're kinda high but slim, very low friction. Lurvley.

Ha, ha! No, your's is not a fake.
The fakes would claim they are one the 50 (or 100 depending on who you talk to at Fender) that were made just before SRVs death that were to be sold as limited edition, custom shop #1s. These, the real ones, have sold for as much as $18,000.00 and Jimmie Vaughan has several of them. The forgeries they try to get about 5 grand for.
Jimmie Vaughan wanted to make SRVs Fender sig edition more of a working man's axe. At least that's the story - ?

Tall and narrow frets (6105 wire) are sort of the secret weapon of Strat players (tele players too) that bend a lot but still want clean chords to be "chimey" and IMO really in tune with trad bridges.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 2 2018, 04:32 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2018, 08:29 AM
I love those frets, they just feel so slick, it's hard to explain how different they feel to the just as tall but wider frets. Anyone reading this get a chance to play an instrument with these frets, let us know what you think.

Cheers Ken

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 2 2018, 06:28 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 1 2018, 11:29 PM) *
I love those frets, they just feel so slick, it's hard to explain how different they feel to the just as tall but wider frets. Anyone reading this get a chance to play an instrument with these frets, let us know what you think.

Cheers Ken

I have an old Kramer with a Warmoth neck that has either 6100 or 6000 fret wire. It has a feel that is almost scalloped. Makes you play with a very light touch to keep from playing sharp. This is actually my favorite and most comfy playing neck.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 2 2018, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2018, 08:38 PM
Yeah I guess it will force me to play lighter, I do have a tendency to press too hard wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:57 AM