2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Rusty Cooley - New Interview, Last Question Is The Best
Pavel
Feb 21 2008, 08:37 PM
Instructor
Here is the link: http://digital.premierguitar.com/premiergu...lio=74&fm=2

The last question will possibly make a lot of people think of how they approach guitar. I personally have a lot of experience similar to Rusty's when i meet people who talk too much and don't play at all and call themselves "guitarists". Also i meet a lot of people who only talk gear and don't practice and again call themselves "guitarists".

What's your experience?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 21 2008, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
Wow. his response to that last question made me sit back in my chair and really think about this passion we call guitar. that man is a genius.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Iluha
Feb 21 2008, 08:47 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 21 2008, 09:37 PM) *

The last question will possibly make a lot of people think of how they approach guitar. I personally have a lot of experience similar to Rusty's when i meet people who talk too much and don't play at all and call themselves "guitarists". Also i meet a lot of people who only talk gear and don't practice and again call themselves "guitarists".

What's your experience?

Most of my friends are over analatycal, allways comparing themselves and other players to famous players, saying stuff like "That's this guys lick, and that sounds alot like that other guy!" I try to calm them down though constantly telling them to not think too much who they sound like and just play what's in their head, I think it's finally starting to get through to them but it will take some more time tongue.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 21 2008, 08:54 PM
Get to da Chopper!
wise words- nice share Pavel cheers man

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 21 2008, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 21 2008, 11:37 AM) *

What's your experience?

I agree, I've actually grown to hate the word, "guitarist". I hate when people spend so much time working on technique and "mastering the guitar" that their work becomes just plain unmusical. I think we should all just be referred to as musicians, because I think that a lot of guitarists today forget that that's what they should be aiming to become, rather than just "guitarists". smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 21 2008, 09:38 PM
I agree with you on the last question in there.

I just got over that, I always thought I didn't sound good because of the amp or because I didnt have a $2000 guitar, nah, after I realized it was all in my head and fingers, I instantly started to sound better, and was way more confident in my playing.

But I still do change my amp setting around a bit for recording or somthing to cut through the mix more, but thats about it.

I think the only time you should have good gear (besides a good feeling guitar) is when you've practiced your ass off and can nearly play anything you want to, otherwise it will just take away from your practice time with experimenting and such.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 21 2008, 09:38 PM
What a great article!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 21 2008, 09:53 PM
Cool interview. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 21 2008, 10:41 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Great interview, Rusty is a wise man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 21 2008, 11:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 21 2008, 09:38 PM) *
I just got over that, I always thought I didn't sound good because of the amp or because I didnt have a $2000 guitar, nah, after I realized it was all in my head and fingers, I instantly started to sound better, and was way more confident in my playing.

See i joined GMC a year ago, and now when you look at my lessons back than, they sound much worse than lessons i do now, and i never changed my gear or amp setting - it's all because of practice and i was really happy a few days ago when a lot of you commented my last lesson and noticed big improvement in both my tone and skills - it was really a punch for me and i'm glad practicing gives results smile.gif

So - just as Rusty said - you better practice, and talk less about styles, what is importing and what is not - just practice and show the world what you can be smile.gif

EDIT: just to add something, a few days ago one guy called me and asked how to set up his new Ibanez 6-string...he wanted to tune it down to B - no comments at all. Than a few days later he said how great his guitar is and the only thought i had was: "What is the use use of a great guitar if you can't play..." - so gear is not important, just the practicing.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Feb 21 2008, 11:54 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Iluha
Feb 22 2008, 12:23 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 22 2008, 12:46 AM) *
See i joined GMC a year ago, and now when you look at my lessons back than, they sound much worse than lessons i do now, and i never changed my gear or amp setting - it's all because of practice and i was really happy a few days ago when a lot of you commented my last lesson and noticed big improvement in both my tone and skills - it was really a punch for me and i'm glad practicing gives results smile.gif

So - just as Rusty said - you better practice, and talk less about styles, what is importing and what is not - just practice and show the world what you can be smile.gif

EDIT: just to add something, a few days ago one guy called me and asked how to set up his new Ibanez 6-string...he wanted to tune it down to B - no comments at all. Than a few days later he said how great his guitar is and the only thought i had was: "What is the use use of a great guitar if you can't play..." - so gear is not important, just the practicing.

Well gear IS important, but only when you become very experienced, a great musician can get a good sound from any guitar, but to really express himself and get the exact sound he wants he will need high edge gear, it's like my guitar teacher told me once: "I'd prefer hearing an experienced player playing a 200$ strat copy than a full of S*** player playing a 4000$ custom strat"

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 22 2008, 12:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Feb 22 2008, 12:23 AM) *
Well gear IS important, but only when you become very experienced, a great musician can get a good sound from any guitar, but to really express himself and get the exact sound he wants he will need high edge gear, it's like my guitar teacher told me once: "I'd prefer hearing an experienced player playing a 200$ strat copy than a full of S*** player playing a 4000$ custom strat"

Yeah exactly laugh.gif laugh.gif That's the point! Your teacher said it right m8! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 22 2008, 12:56 AM
Hah, I remember when I took guitar lessons from this guy, I told my friend that came to lessons with me how much better my guitar is than my teachers (which it was).

But the funny thing was, me and my teacher were playing on the same amp with good settings and my friend comes out and say's " I though your guitar sounded better than his ".

I really blew back then. Like worse than now smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 22 2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah i agree, sometimes i find myself getting too far ahead of myself with wanting gear, but i haven't gone over the top. This year though i'm determined not just to practice more, but to practice more seriously. I think my problem is the opposite to the norm, i improvise way too much and try to make my own stuff too much. I'm not good enough yet and although i don't really know how i'm going to get better yet i'm not focusing enough on other stuff like techniques and stuff. So a few weeks ago i set myself a new practicing schedule which i've stuck to so far

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 22 2008, 01:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Feb 22 2008, 12:23 AM) *

+1 Beginner needs to have beginner's gear,pro needs pro stuff.
Everything else is just wrong. smile.gif

And yeah,less talking,more practicing!

Am still talking,aren't I? huh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Muris: Feb 22 2008, 01:01 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 22 2008, 01:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 22 2008, 01:01 AM) *
Am still talking,aren't I? huh.gif laugh.gif

You're allowed to talk! You have enough skills in your bag to spend some time on the forum wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 22 2008, 01:03 AM
One thing I might add to what muris said.

If a begginer has the best gear in the world from the get go then what does he have to look forward to when he gets more experience.

No better gear, nothing to reward himself with.

Thats why I'm glad I'm not rich, working for stuff is way more fun.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 22 2008, 01:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 22 2008, 01:03 AM) *
Thats why I'm glad I'm not rich, working for stuff is way more fun.

Fully support you there m8. But than you really know the price of your property smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 22 2008, 01:54 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Feb 21 2008, 09:13 PM) *
I agree, I've actually grown to hate the word, "guitarist". I hate when people spend so much time working on technique and "mastering the guitar" that their work becomes just plain unmusical. I think we should all just be referred to as musicians, because I think that a lot of guitarists today forget that that's what they should be aiming to become, rather than just "guitarists". smile.gif

I totally agree! I like guitar playing when it's music. laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 22 2008, 11:35 AM
Lets go fishing!
Fantastic thread Pavel ! That was a really cool interveiw, Rusty really knows the score. smile.gif I totally agree alot of guitarists spend too much time over anaylising or playing with gear. I just like to plug in and practice for hours, im not fussed about how expensive my guitar is or how much gear I own wink.gif

p.s Rusty Listens to buckethed? cool wink.gif tongue.gif smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:53 AM