Bit Of Help Needed..........
sted
Apr 24 2009, 04:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
I changed the strings on my strat from 9's to 10's, no big deal, set up the action and trem no problem. Trouble is the G string keeps popping out the nut when im try to do whole tone bends around the fifth fret area. I know my tech could sort it but i was wondering if there might be a simple fix?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 24 2009, 04:14 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (sted @ Apr 24 2009, 05:01 PM) *
I changed the strings on my strat from 9's to 10's, no big deal, set up the action and trem no problem. Trouble is the G string keeps popping out the nut when im try to do whole tone bends around the fifth fret area. I know my tech could sort it but i was wondering if there might be a simple fix?

What are you saying?
Is your G string's bearing ball slipping?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 24 2009, 04:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (kjutte @ Apr 24 2009, 04:14 PM) *
What are you saying?
Is your G string's bearing ball slipping?

No mate, it is jumping out of the nut when I push a bend near the lower end of the fretboard, almost like it isnt seated in the nut properly.

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Apr 24 2009, 04:22 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Apr 24 2009, 11:01 AM) *

a crude way to fix this would be to simply fasten the string down at the nut with something. Even something as simple as a string (like a fabric string) tied around the headstock, run it underneath all of the other strings, and then bring it up over the Gstring. This might add a bit of tension to the string(but only the G-string since you ran it underneath the other strings) so you will need to adjust this obviously.

I'm looking at my strat right now and it seems like it would work...

by the way, the second sentence in your post is littered with Gstring innuendo laugh.gif I'm so immature....

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 24 2009, 04:35 PM
Shouldnt be any problem at all, I went from 9 to 10 to 11 without any problems. ( with added springs tho:D)

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
berko
Apr 24 2009, 04:41 PM
Is it because the slot in the nut is too thin for the string so it can't settle in it properly? You may want to carve it out a very thin file/rasp.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 24 2009, 04:43 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (berko @ Apr 24 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Is it because the slot in the nut is too thin for the string so it can't settle in it properly? You may want to carve it out a very thin file/rasp.

Yeah, this. Use a needle file but you shouldn't need to take off much.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 24 2009, 09:06 PM
You need to do a knot to increase tension.
Search for string-changing videos, or just tutorials, and it'll show you how to wound the strings properly as I mentioned.

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 25 2009, 12:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
thx guys, it does seem to sit a little proud of the nut, ill try a little DIY!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 25 2009, 01:46 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Apr 25 2009, 12:41 PM) *
thx guys, it does seem to sit a little proud of the nut, ill try a little DIY!

Just make sure that the string is sitting in the bottom of the slot, if it isn't then it needs filing as the others have already mentioned!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:15 PM