2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Play And Rest Collaboration, FINAL MIX WITH COMMENTS!
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 03:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dexxter @ Jul 27 2009, 04:13 PM) *
...How do you do that? smile.gif

Great, looking forward to it! biggrin.gif

On beat one of every bar press C letter. I believe thats the one. If its not C then its T letter for TEXT! Then you just type in full chord and move to the next bar etc

QUOTE (Oxac @ Jul 27 2009, 04:15 PM) *
This type of music is a whole new area for me as a piano player. I've always played classical music before, hence the untechnical solo. If you want a pure technique demonstration I would be happy to provide it.

Beautiful !
I would really like to hear some piano type characteristic lines in some future collaboration. In the meanwhile why not some guitar oriented take ? wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 27 2009, 03:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 27 2009, 04:16 PM) *
On beat one of every bar press C letter. I believe thats the one. If its not C then its T letter for TEXT! Then you just type in full chord and move to the next bar etc

Beautiful !
I would really like to hear some piano type characteristic lines in some future collaboration. In the meanwhile why not some guitar oriented take ? wink.gif

On my keyboard it's A. As in "akkord", which is Danish. Might be C with English as language choice.

I tried tabbing it out as accurate as possible (I believe that's how I play it, though it might not have been how I intented it):

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 27 2009, 03:32 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Rest_and_Play_Collaboration___Caelumamittendum.gp5 ( 4.88K ) Number of downloads: 77

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 27 2009, 04:18 PM) *
On my keyboard it's A. As in "akkord", which is Danish. Might be C with English as language choice.

I tried tabbing it out as accurate as possible (I believe that's how I play it, though it might not have been how I intented it):

We already talked about it on MSN but I will mention it here as well. It is not 100% accurate as there was tapping part and some others which you didn't execute perfectly with your guitar. I am very glad to see that this is what you wanted to play in the actual guitar pro file. Next time I am sure you will spend more time when you record a take so you can execute it perfectly!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 27 2009, 04:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 27 2009, 04:54 PM) *
We already talked about it on MSN but I will mention it here as well. It is not 100% accurate as there was tapping part and some others which you didn't execute perfectly with your guitar. I am very glad to see that this is what you wanted to play in the actual guitar pro file. Next time I am sure you will spend more time when you record a take so you can execute it perfectly!

This is not actually what I wanted to play. I don't know what I exactly wanted to play, as I was mostly improvising from the tapping part and onwards. I had composed something at first, but I couldn't quite get it to sound right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 04:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 27 2009, 05:25 PM) *
This is not actually what I wanted to play. I don't know what I exactly wanted to play, as I was mostly improvising from the tapping part and onwards. I had composed something at first, but I couldn't quite get it to sound right.

Then your transcription needs more polishing until you get right what you actually tapped wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 27 2009, 04:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 27 2009, 05:28 PM) *
Then your transcription needs more polishing until you get right what you actually tapped wink.gif

But I can't hear what note I actually hit at what point in the bar in those fast runs. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 04:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 27 2009, 05:40 PM) *
But I can't hear what note I actually hit at what point in the bar in those fast runs. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

You can slow it down in Windows Media Player. I think also that you can slow it down in Win Amp - not sure since I don't use that software but Sinisa (our instructor) mentioned that you can.

You can also take that same audio file, put it back in your DAW and slow it down using tools there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jul 27 2009, 05:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Many thanks Pedja for your valuable comments, will keep working on the things mentioned!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 05:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jul 27 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Many thanks Pedja for your valuable comments, will keep working on the things mentioned!

Anytime Roger, keep up the great work man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jul 27 2009, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
Sure Pedja, I'll suprise you in the future smile.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 07:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jul 27 2009, 08:17 PM) *
Sure Pedja, I'll suprise you in the future smile.gif

Thanks Olle!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Jul 27 2009, 07:43 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 27 2009, 05:55 AM) *
TheKeplerConjecture (5:57-6:32)

Things that I like: Technique, chord tones and tensions, development and melodic approach (in some sections).

Things that need work: Sound (it was very distorted I had to decrease gain a lot and even then sounded distorted still smile.gif , melodic choice (especially in the first section), question and answer phrasing (phrases don't sound natural one after another, they melodies need to blend well).

Conclusion: I like how you followed one specific play rest approach! That was great. In future try not to over play into next bar (like ending melodies on beat 2 of next bar and such). Pointers I made regarding things that need work I advise you take them seriously and work on them. This is the first time I hear you in my collaboration so I can't draw any conclusion what your real level of playing is. If you get a chance for some future collaboration record couple of takes and work on it as early as possible so that we can pick the best take!

Thank you TheKeplerConjecture!

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll certainly take your comments seriously and do my best to address them. I will really try to get in on your next collab - especially since this one was so challenging and educational. It's easy enough to make sure you START a phrase at every other measure. But ENDING it within a particular time frame is a real challenge.

I'm going to devote some time to practicing this nightly. I currently set aside 30 minutes for improvising practice, but it's very "free", meaning unstructured with no real goals other than to sound good and have fun. I think I'll pick one of your play-rest patterns and apply it for about ten minutes.

I think it would be good to add more structure to the improvising section of my practice routine, in general; And this is a great start. Do you have any more tricks/challenges like this that you wouldn't mind sharing? I think doing things like this on a regular basis will really help me in being able to handle anything thrown at me in an improv setting.

Regarding the "phrases don't sound natural one after another" comment: I have a theory on this. In another collab, I got some negative feedback about spending too much time in a particular area of the fretboard. I've recently been making a conscious effort to move around more often. As a result, I stammer, having to reorganize in my mind where each scale degree is in the new position. This has been wreaking havoc on my melodic phrasing. I think I need to find a balance when it come to actual presentations. I don't want to sound too "static," but I would like to sound melodic. perhaps I should integrate this into the improv practicing. Play-rest pattern, and for each new phrase start in a new position. Then, when it comes to real playing (read "not practicing") just do what I think sounds best and what's comfortable.

Thanks again. This was a really cool collab to be involved in. Again, I'll try to get in on your future collabs. Thanks for putting this together!

This post has been edited by TheKeplerConjecture: Jul 27 2009, 08:09 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 07:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TheKeplerConjecture @ Jul 27 2009, 08:43 PM) *
Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll certainly take your comments seriously and do my best to address them. I will really try to get in on your next collab - especially since this one was so challenging and educational. It's easy enough to make sure you START a phrase at every other measure. But ENDING it within a particular time frame is a real challenge.

I'm going to devote some time to practicing this nightly. I currently set aside 30 minutes for improvising practice, but it's very "free", meaning unstructured with no real goals other than to sound good and have fun. I think I'll pick one of your play-rest pattern and apply it for about ten minutes.

I think it would be good to add more structure to the improvising section of my practice routine, in general; And this is a great start. Do you have any more tricks/challenges like this that you wouldn't mind sharing? I think doing things like this on a regular basis will really help me in being able to handle anything thrown at me in an improv setting.

Regarding the "phrases don't sound natural one after another" comment: I have a theory on this. In another collab, I got some negative feedback about spending too much time in a particular area of the fretboard. I've recently been making a conscious effort to move around more often. As a result, I stammer, having to reorganize in my mind where each scale degree is in the new position. This has been wreaking havoc on my melodic phrasing. I think I need to find a balance, when it come to actual presentations. I don't want to sound too "static," but I would like to sound melodic. perhaps I should integrate this into the improv practicing. Play-rest pattern, and for each new phrase start in a new position. Then, when it comes to real playing (read "not practicing") just do what I think sounds best and what's comfortable.

Thanks again. This was a really cool collab to be involved in. Again, I'll try to get in on your future collabs. Thanks for putting this together!

You welcome!
I am glad you are taking everything from this collaborations and comments the right way.
Regarding your question for organized structured improvising practice I have a solution. Before this "in class type collaboration" we had 4 more collaborations. One of them was SOLOING USING CHORD TONES AND ARPEGGIOS; another one was TIME FEEL COLLABORATION (soloing using very slow medium and very fast rhythms); another one we had was Straight vs Syncopated rhythm (on and off beat type rhythms in soloing) and last one we had was SEQUENCE COLLABORATION! (using sequence in soloing exclusively).

So you see you can check out all of these collaborations, learn the concept and apply it all to time slots as you wish. I like to do these things over everything and anything really because it unlocks my mind and I can improvise freely and use any device I want.

Here are links for solos of mine that turned into lessons from all the collaborations mentioned.

Sequence collaboration solo - HERE

Arpeggio/Chord tone collaboration solo - HERE

Time feel collaboration solo - HERE

Straight vs Syncopated collaboration solo - HERE

I am waiting for lesson I submitted couple of days ago for this collaboration to be published on the main page. You will then have a total of 5 different approaches, devices, tricks, call it whatever you want, that will help you to approach improvising songwriting and learning your instrument better!

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Jul 27 2009, 08:27 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 27 2009, 01:54 PM) *
Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything.

Pedja

Sure does! Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 27 2009, 08:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TheKeplerConjecture @ Jul 27 2009, 09:27 PM) *
Sure does! Thanks again!

Awesome, glad to hear that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 27 2009, 11:18 PM
Instructor
Great collaboration and very useful comments Pedja. Awesome takes everybody! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jul 28 2009, 04:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 27 2009, 10:14 AM) *
Great to hear you enjoyed this collaboration Steve!
I was very happy to see your determination and openness towards it from very beginning. I am sure if you continue to implement this approach in your practice (even for 5-10 minutes a day!) it will bring you great results to your phrasing, ear training and song writing skills.
I will be more then happy to have you in my future collaborations. Will send you PM when I post new one, perhaps you will be available then to participate.

Let me know if you need any help with transcribing. Talk to Uncle Skillet and get him to make you work for it!!! Tell him I said that! smile.gif

Well done Steve!

biggrin.gif Got it Pedja. wink.gif

He still needs to show me he can play the darn F bar chord to from our first lesson in the MTP. wink.gif

I'm very proud of his progress and think he is moving along fine for the time he has to practice. Your comments were spot on and thanks for everything. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 28 2009, 07:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 28 2009, 12:18 AM) *
Great collaboration and very useful comments Pedja. Awesome takes everybody! smile.gif

Thank you for checking it out Ivan.

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jul 28 2009, 05:26 AM) *
biggrin.gif Got it Pedja. wink.gif

He still needs to show me he can play the darn F bar chord to from our first lesson in the MTP. wink.gif

I'm very proud of his progress and think he is moving along fine for the time he has to practice. Your comments were spot on and thanks for everything. smile.gif

F chord can be more difficult than play rest approach soloing for sure smile.gif

Just by seeing his determination in two takes Steve submitted I just know he will do well. Keep up the good work guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:19 PM