> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Lead Preparations With Echoshill
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2013, 10:51 AM
Instructor
Thank you man smile.gif I feel great to know I can make a change for someone!

Listen, you pointed out a few interesting things:

- you were able to play legato and economy, Satch and Vai stuff, right? - Strong point - those are the techniques that you have a natural ability towards. Develop them to the point in which you can use them at will at any given time!

- you are methodical - use this strength to be organized and achieve great results with minimum input - that means, organizing practice time efficiently and incorporating the newly acquired skills in a musical context. That's why you practice right? To be able to use stuff when making music, not to be like John Petrucci or anybody else.

Mate, being YOUR OWN MUSICAL self is the greatest thing you can achieve, you know? Is John Mayer a mediocre guitarist, because he doesn't alternate pick? I honestly like him more then John Petrucci, because he is not obsessed with technique but strives to make genuine heartfelt music, rather than always trying to showcase his skills, sometimes forcing the context to such a degree, so that he loses my interest after a few tens of seconds of listening.

- you won't practice anything that you can play - this is the biggest faulty thing you can do. There is a Zen teaching, saying 'After you reach the top, keep climbing'

Having these in mind - focus on your natural abilities, while not neglecting the other interests you have in playing, but do not let them rule you - YOU have to be in control smile.gif

This is my vision and I hope it helps!

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 16 2013, 12:36 AM
GMC:er
85% of the backing track speed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Winter_85__of_backing.mp3 ( 1.09MB ) Number of downloads: 80

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 16 2013, 11:22 AM
Instructor
Howdy man smile.gif

Aside from one missed note, this sounds good to me and I also like the tone - it's more directed towards the oldschool stuff but it fits the context very nicely smile.gif Have you started the other one as well?

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 17 2013, 03:20 AM
Yeah, if I ever get to meet you in person I am going to bonk you on the head for coming up with that....ha ha ha ha. tongue.gif

I can actually play the separate sections very close to 120bpm. It is when I have to transition between that it gets tricky. You want me to continue with it, correct?

Yes, I have indeed started the second one. It is going very well. Just a lot to memorize.

Thank you Cosmin for pushing me and being so helpful. I still feel that there must be a better way to progress with speed than what I am doing. 3% per week is not very much.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 18 2013, 09:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Echoshill @ Mar 17 2013, 02:20 AM) *
Yeah, if I ever get to meet you in person I am going to bonk you on the head for coming up with that....ha ha ha ha. tongue.gif

I can actually play the separate sections very close to 120bpm. It is when I have to transition between that it gets tricky. You want me to continue with it, correct?

Yes, I have indeed started the second one. It is going very well. Just a lot to memorize.

Thank you Cosmin for pushing me and being so helpful. I still feel that there must be a better way to progress with speed than what I am doing. 3% per week is not very much.

Hey mate biggrin.gif Hope you don't hate me already for tormenting you with my weird left hand fretboard positions - yes indeed, I want you to continue with it but do not get frustrated, ok? As I said on Facebook, your rhythm is your own and 3% a week biggrin.gif Hell man, that's very good! Imagine that after finishing this one, you will have a much more prepared hand for others and that 3% will turn into 6% for other pieces and so on - the more you expose yourself to various exercises (the weirder, the better) the better you become and the faster you will assimilate smile.gif

I will keep on pushing you, slowly tho wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 18 2013, 03:09 PM
ha ha ha ha.....no worries Cosmin. In the few weeks we have worked together I feel a very VERY positive result in my right hand. It was especially obvious when I improvised. Much much much fewer missed pick attacks. Very good. Let's keep going.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 19 2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor
smile.gif Glad to hear that man! Well then, I am looking forward to a take of the other lesson as well biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 26 2013, 09:11 PM
Hey Cosmin,

Hopefully you did not forget about me. I am at 87% on the Winter piece and finally have the entire interval etude memorized and am beginning to build speed. I only have an hour to work on each piece per week so +2-3% in speed is about the best I can manage.

I learned a very valuable lesson on the Winter piece and that is to be very cognizant of efficiency of movement when you are FIRST LEARNING the piece. I found that one of he fingerings I had been using was a real problem when I tried to pick up he tempo. I was forced to "re-learn" a small section which does not sound like much, but it is hard to unlearn something you have been playing for a month.

By the way, if there was a style that I would love to aim for, check out the recent in the style of steve lukather piece. That is everything I want to be in 30 seconds. How do we get there? I learned that piece a week or so back, never got it clean with just the backing, but I am really REALLY close. That is the sort of player I want to be. One thing to learn the solo, entirely another to be able to write and craft in that style.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2013, 09:32 AM
Instructor
Hey mate, of course I haven't forgotten about you smile.gif

I thought you took your time to rehearse and work on things and I know how it feels to re-learn something, oh I do! biggrin.gif

2-3 % a week is very good judging the difficulty/ complexity of the piece - imagine it took me about 1 year to come up with the whole guitar interpretation for the first movement in 'Winter' and get it set for being played on stage.

Regarding Lukather - hehe, what a great player! I had the honor of meeting him back in 2008 when he came to Romania and he was treating me like he knew me for a lifetime laugh.gif awesome experience!

About his style: he is a very well balanced combo of technique, feel, melody and tasty phrasing and we would have a lot to talk about the subject, but to start out, can you please post the recording of the lesson you are telling me about? In the EXACT state in which you have last recorded it smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 27 2013, 01:48 PM
That makes me feel a lot better about the time it is taking me to learn your piece. I was thinking, crap!!!!!, 2% a week has GOT to be the slowest anyone has ever worked through this thing!

Recording Luke Piece:
Sure thing. I will look to do it on Sunday Afternoon. I am pretty tied up with gigs and rehearsals till then. I have not played it in a week or so, and the runs at the end need a little cleaning up. The timing is a bit funny with them.

BTW - A very close friend I work with (Bogdan Proca) is from Romania. I think he misses home.

M

This is the lesson I was refereing to:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-style-lesson/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2013, 09:42 AM
Instructor
Hehe, wow, that Luke lesson is so genuine! biggrin.gif Muris nailed the style and sound spot on!

I am very curious to see your take man - take your time and focus on each and every detail ok? smile.gif You can also send greetings to your friend from his mother country, but tell him that it's way better for him to stay there rather than come back here laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Mar 28 2013, 03:14 PM
Putting my take on things is something I always struggle with. For example, there is this bend/tap thing that he does about half way though the piece which is NOT something I would ever do.

Do you stay true to the piece as it is written, or do you put your interpretation on it?

My only concern is that we are adding one more thing to what is now two incomplete pieces (Intervals and winter). It would seem those pieces are not going to be 100% for quite some time......so how do we proceed?

As a mentor, how do you balance pieces that develop technique vs. pieces like the Luke piece.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 29 2013, 08:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Echoshill @ Mar 28 2013, 02:14 PM) *
Putting my take on things is something I always struggle with. For example, there is this bend/tap thing that he does about half way though the piece which is NOT something I would ever do.

Do you stay true to the piece as it is written, or do you put your interpretation on it?

My only concern is that we are adding one more thing to what is now two incomplete pieces (Intervals and winter). It would seem those pieces are not going to be 100% for quite some time......so how do we proceed?

As a mentor, how do you balance pieces that develop technique vs. pieces like the Luke piece.

Hey there smile.gif Well, it's pretty simple - you are currently studying two technique based pieces and one which is based on phrasing but has more of a melodic approach and no connection to the other two. So, diversification is not wrong, by all means it will keep your interest up and if you look into all of them you will see that they push you up on the ladder with various techniques - Alternate picking, tap bending, bending and vibrato.

You can't be stuck to playing 2 pieces for 2 years and ignore life around you because those are incomplete smile.gif Focus on them but enjoy playing other things as well, otherwise, you will end up asking yourself what happened in the last 2 years?

Usually if I want to acquire a certain concept I will first stay true to the interpretation and when I get it down perfectly, I will add my own ideas to it. I remember doing this since early childhood with... Lego biggrin.gif I always used to build the stuff that was in the box - the initial model I mean and then, after a few days, come up with something I thought of combining it with other pieces I had from previous sets and creating my own world tongue.gif I guess it translated later in life...

Looking forward to see what you got so far!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Apr 3 2013, 01:25 AM
Intervals at about 75%.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Intervals.mp3 ( 1.56MB ) Number of downloads: 81

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2013, 12:29 PM
Instructor
Aloha there smile.gif I thought it would be easier to explain things this way wink.gif

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Apr 4 2013, 08:52 PM
Yup, you are correct with regard to the feel. I blew it.

Your video ran out before your thought finished.

Mark
(Echoshill - Pronounced Echoes Hill) A Dream Theater reference.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 5 2013, 07:31 AM
Instructor
Howdy Mark! Hope the video shed light on the matter, so please send me a recording at the same tempo, but with the right feel and against a metronome click or the slowed down backing track smile.gif Do we have a deal, sir?

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Apr 5 2013, 03:38 PM
I was practicing it with the GP file which does not play the triplets very well. It actually sounds like straight 8's even though it is written in trips. I understood what you were getting at though. I worked on it in trips last night. Changing feels at this point is not an easy ting to do. It will be a bit till I get you another recording.

As for the winter arps I am now up to 90%. Baby steps.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 6 2013, 11:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Echoshill @ Apr 5 2013, 02:38 PM) *
I was practicing it with the GP file which does not play the triplets very well. It actually sounds like straight 8's even though it is written in trips. I understood what you were getting at though. I worked on it in trips last night. Changing feels at this point is not an easy ting to do. It will be a bit till I get you another recording.

As for the winter arps I am now up to 90%. Baby steps.

Indeed man, baby steps is the right way to do it - I'd be curious to see a recording with the triplets at the tempo at which you are right now - what say you?

+Quote Post
Echoshill
Apr 12 2013, 03:31 PM
I don't think you are going to like what I say.

I say that I have struggled for quite some time with the practicality of the size of the pieces we are working on and I am about done with it. I am sure that, over time, they would help my technique, but I am so sick of them that I just can't stand the thought of what it is going to take to get them Winter the last 9%. I am spending hours upon hours on them and I still struggle to find/create meaningful lines over static key centers. Yes, I really want my technique to improve, but it is more important to me that my musicality improves as a result of what we do here. And it isn't.

Heck, last night I tried to solo over a static Am backing track and, though I knew what notes to play, my idea flat sucked and went no where. Creating good musical ideas does not require monster technique. And though I want monster technique, I can't effectively deploy what I have now.

And yes, I know I was supposed to record that Luke piece, but there was more of it left to learn that what I thought so I didn't bother with everything else I had going on .

Not trying to be a tool, just being honest.

This post has been edited by Echoshill: Apr 12 2013, 06:40 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:36 AM