2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Announcement: Rec Grading Tweaks, About Rec Grading Standards
Nava
Mar 21 2013, 06:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great biggrin.gif

When u finally get a 10, u can jump up and scream like a crazy, knowing that u did a VERY good REC!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 22 2013, 08:37 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Mar 21 2013, 01:42 PM) *
I also hope that this leads to a more consistent and reliable/fair grading of the takes. There are mainly two things that have annoyed me from time to time with the REC grading. One is that it is too easy to get the highest grade - if a take which is not perfect or very close to perfect receives a 10, then which grade should be given to a perfect take? Also, anyone grading the take should be (or become) somewhat familiar with the lesson, to avoid "I agree with what the other guys said" or "try to isolate the fast parts and practice them at a slower tempo" or other obvious standard replies.

Edit: After all, it's all about making progress and not compete with others about high grades. I'd say anyone benefits from making it more difficult to get a 10 - what is there to strive for beyond it?

Agreed! Getting a 10 should be the ultimate reward (we can't turn the grades up to 11..!).

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Mar 21 2013, 01:53 PM) *
In the short time I have been here, I have noticed something about the difficulty grades of lessons....some of them are just not graded correctly. I think we are all aware of that. The reason I think we are all aware is that when a lesson is graded too low for its difficulty..example: a lesson is graded 2 and should really be 3 or even 4....nobody wants to spend their time doing' that perfect take'...if they don't get 'paid' properly ( we are humans and we know which side our bread is buttered)....therefore not many people seem to bother with REC takes on those ones...although they are great lessons and well worth learning.
On the other end of the scale the situation, in my opinion is reversed..example:. lessons that are easier but have a too high grade....everyone wants some of those easy points and understandably those ones get more takes.....

If you don't agree with a particular lesson difficulty, feel free to point it out in the lesson feedback. (lesson difficulties aren't set in stone)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 22 2013, 09:57 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 22 2013, 08:37 AM) *
If you don't agree with a particular lesson difficulty, feel free to point it out in the lesson feedback. (lesson difficulties aren't set in stone)

The site is full of great lessons to learn regardless of the difficulty setting...but, if I were to decide to participate in the REC program, then I would select carefully....I am probably wrong anyway, what appears to be difficult can sometimes be easier than it looks and vice versa.....Its just very noticeable sometimes...of huge participation or none.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 22 2013, 10:30 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Nava @ Mar 21 2013, 06:39 PM) *
Great biggrin.gif

When u finally get a 10, u can jump up and scream like a crazy, knowing that u did a VERY good REC!

Indeed! I think a grade 10 should mean that the student almost perfectly nails the instructors' timing, technique, tone and vibrato.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 22 2013, 10:39 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Good call. Kepp those awesome REC takes coming, and pass or not, see your guitar skills ever rise! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 22 2013, 11:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Mar 21 2013, 01:42 PM) *
I also hope that this leads to a more consistent and reliable/fair grading of the takes. There are mainly two things that have annoyed me from time to time with the REC grading. One is that it is too easy to get the highest grade - if a take which is not perfect or very close to perfect receives a 10, then which grade should be given to a perfect take? Also, anyone grading the take should be (or become) somewhat familiar with the lesson, to avoid "I agree with what the other guys said" or "try to isolate the fast parts and practice them at a slower tempo" or other obvious standard replies.

Edit: After all, it's all about making progress and not compete with others about high grades. I'd say anyone benefits from making it more difficult to get a 10 - what is there to strive for beyond it?

Indeed You're right - there was not enough headroom for people who do it really perfect. As for the second thing you've mentioned...Sometimes it would be hard to write something else while instructor who did his voting as a first wrote everything down and there is not too much to add. Third thing is many of students have same, common problems so it's obvious that some advice will repeat very often. For someone who learns to play guitar it could not be that obvious that he has some timing issues etc...even though he read that in a past few grading comments in REC section smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 8 2013, 10:44 AM
GMC Founder
I am bumping this thread in case someone missed it!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:46 AM