Your Thoughts On Extended Ranges
MattE
Jul 11 2008, 06:32 AM
GMC:er
Something that has always been a true passion when it comes to my passion for guitars (yes, a passion of a passion, passionate no? laugh.gif )is the out-of-the-ordinary. Now when I say ordinary, I mean what the general public would consider ordinary: 6 string guitars.

My fancy? Extended range (more than 6 strings obviously)

For a long time I was absolutely die hard for a 7 string guitar. I just yearned for the extended range playability. Not too long ago I stubled upon something that made my jaw drop: the Ibanez RG2228 8 string.

8 evenly spaced strings on an electric guitar (for those of us who are familiar with the 12 string guitar)

And even better, reviews and demos I've seen show that you can not only use it as an F#BEADGBE tuning, but also a BEADGBE(B?) tuning (an added low and high string)

I thought the added high string was a little silly, but hey, it's do-able biggrin.gif

It really got me thinking about the future of extended range electric guitars. Are they going to completely eliminate the need for bass players? Seems illogical, but really makes you thing, these guitars are extending into ranges so close to a bass range it's incredible.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jul 11 2008, 01:10 PM
Instructor
One of the first guys to go into extended guitar was george Van Eps who went 7 stringed in the 50's. Then you have guys like Bumblefoot who use a thimble in his pinky to fret notes out of range (If you see a guitar pro tab you´ll se stuff like 5th string 36 fret), going out of the rock/jazz stuff you have people like Mertz or Carcassi who probably 7 or more strings. Also it is standart to use for playing barroque music the use of 8 or 10 string guitars, Narciso yepes used to play a 10 string guitar and the guy had very little hands.
And not they wont make bass player obsolete, bass has different timbre and amplification, also when adding a string the construction of the guitar it self should be modified to help the extended register to shine.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Jul 11 2008, 01:43 PM
Heres a pic of the new ibanez MattE mentioned:

I'd really love to try one of these out at some point!

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jul 11 2008, 02:37 PM
my problem is that the necks get so wide they become uncomefortable to play. Even my seven string is a stretch.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 11 2008, 02:41 PM
Instructor
I found 7 strings very useful,
can't say the same for 8 strings tho,too high. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jul 11 2008, 03:02 PM
A friend of mine really likes his Schecter Omen 7. He complains about its high fret access but other than that he says really good things. I'd like to try one, if nothing else just so I could play Sonata Arctica songs.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jul 11 2008, 03:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Pffff... 8 strings...

*REAL* metalheads play 10 string guitars!

Attached Image

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 11 2008, 03:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jul 11 2008, 04:48 PM) *
Pffff... 8 strings...

Attached Image

Pffft

Real guitarists can get a good sound out of just 6 strings rolleyes.gif

I do own a 7 string by the way - it just doesn't intonate correctly due to humidity problems.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Jul 11 2008, 08:41 PM
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jul 11 2008, 10:48 AM) *
Pffff... 8 strings...

Attached Image

Whats next 3 neck guitars? By the way i think ESP made an 8 string too. Havent played more than 6 strings but would like to try 7 or 8.

This post has been edited by Disturbed21: Jul 11 2008, 08:41 PM

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 11 2008, 09:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Disturbed21 @ Jul 11 2008, 09:41 PM) *
Whats next 3 neck guitars? By the way i think ESP made an 8 string too. Havent played more than 6 strings but would like to try 7 or 8.

3 neck guitars? rolleyes.gif There's already 4 neck guitars...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 11 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
That's crazy smile.gif 7 string is practical but more is... well don't know, didn't try it smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
at lights end
Jul 12 2008, 11:39 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 11 2008, 08:00 PM) *
3 neck guitars? rolleyes.gif There's already 4 neck guitars...

and 5

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 12 2008, 08:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (at lights end @ Jul 12 2008, 12:39 PM) *
and 5

And 6:

--------------------

+Quote Post
MattE
Jul 13 2008, 06:09 PM
Wow @ the 10 string and 6 neck guitars XD

I personally enjoy extended range guitars because I have rather long fingers, the 6 string feels like a broom handle to me tongue.gif

But I would really lke to give the Ibanez a try > M all time favorite guitar company + 8 string guitar = LOVE biggrin.gif

I am somewhat curious about this new "Locking Fixed Bridge" that is on the Ibanez

A floyd rose that you cant dive bomb? O.o Sounds interesting

This post has been edited by MattE: Jul 13 2008, 06:09 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 13 2008, 06:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (MattE @ Jul 13 2008, 07:09 PM) *
Wow @ the 10 string and 6 neck guitars XD

I personally enjoy extended range guitars because I have rather long fingers, the 6 string feels like a broom handle to me tongue.gif

But I would really lke to give the Ibanez a try > M all time favorite guitar company + 8 string guitar = LOVE biggrin.gif

I am somewhat curious about this new "Locking Fixed Bridge" that is on the Ibanez

A floyd rose that you cant dive bomb? O.o Sounds interesting

I don't know about that bridge. Is FR bridges stronger than none-FRs? That could be the reason when considering the pull of 8 to 10 strings.

That aside, I have very average finger length, I would say, and I got a bit tired of my 7 string and bought a new 6 string, because it just felt more natural to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Jul 14 2008, 12:44 AM
Instructor
8 and 10 strings...mmm...why don't play a bass? for me 7 strings are the best for metal and new beautiful voicing!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Jul 14 2008, 10:55 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 12 2008, 03:23 PM) *
And 6:

Can't imagine how someone would play that standing up without hurting themselves. Plus that must cost a lot.

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:12 PM