Reply to this topicStart new topic
> #40 Intro To Vahhalen Style Tapping/hammering, The Baisic Technique Behind the Legendary Lick
Todd Simpson
post Aug 11 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

INTRO

Eddie VanHalen style Tapping / Hammering is the basis for a vast array of tapping/hammering type licks. However, without being comfortable playing the basic version of this, it's very tough to play the more advanced version that include pulling off to open strings and four notes/five notes/six notes per string tapping licks. So let's get back to basics and do a very simple VanHalen style lick!

Attached Image

This is the basis for a HUGE array of licks that involve tapping. Once you get the hang of this type of lick, it will open up your playing in ways you never expected. But before getting in to all of that, we have to get the basics down. It's been brought to my attention that some folks have very little experience in tapping/hammering, so throwing 8 note per string tapping licks at ya may be premature. Let's start at the start and move on from there. smile.gif

*Make sure to watch the vid!.

*NOTE: Keep an eye on your muting so that you don't get wads of string noise!

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS : You can pick this any way that feels comfortable. I'm picking it using the same approach. Trust your fingers and let them guide you. Getting used to finding your way is also part of the key to breaking your own speed barrier.

Attached Image
Attached File  40fix.gp5 ( 1.67K ) Number of downloads: 9

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here. I'm happy to help!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 13 2018, 08:02 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 11 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello Todd,

QL40 Take 1 for review and critique please.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/D3kHyUK6Knc

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 13 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

That's the VanHalen approach right there!! This is the foundation of wads of tapping/hammering licks. It all starts with this. From here, it can get wildly complicated but without this foundational understanding of it, the rest seems needlessly hard. Once you get this part down, as you clearly have, the rest doesn't seem nearly as wacky. I dove in to the deep end of tapping perhaps a bit too early, thinking that folks already had this part handled. So I thought it was a good idea to go back to the start of tapping/hammering, and have a QL that I could point to as the starting point if folks have trouble with any of the later licks that are tapping/centric.

Once you get going on this, you have no trouble at all. You have the mechanics of this under control. The Tap/Pull with each finger is the real key. It gets two tones out of each strike. This makes two taps, sound like four notes. So when played at speed, this lick sounds like you are doing a four note lick at crazy pace.

It's easy to focus on the fingers, especially when this is new to them, and lose track of the beat just pinch. So I'd say try this in your practice sessions with a drum track, backing track, metronome etc. Just to give you a reference for the beat. But that's something you can do as you move forward. For quick licks, you've got it!!!!
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 11 2018, 03:48 PM) *
Hello Todd,

QL40 Take 1 for review and critique please.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/D3kHyUK6Knc

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 13 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Todd,

I often think about throwing some tapping in when improvising but when I try it goes to pieces.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 16 2018, 12:30 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Don't give up! It's worth working it out smile.gif Being able to throw some tapping in is a good thing imho. It's a goal worth working on. Being able to transition between different techniques is part and parcel to being a well rounded player!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 13 2018, 04:32 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I often think about throwing some tapping in when improvising but when I try it goes to pieces.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Nov 30 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 23.212

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 2 2018, 04:39 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

BINGO!!! This is Tapping 101 and you nailed it. You are allowing enough space in between each tap/note and it works great. Eddie has made his career off this kind of lick. He didn't actually originate the idea, but he arguably perfected it for use in Rock music and her certainly brought it to the attention of guitar players around the world. This is the core of tapping. It all starts here and you have it well in hand. You just....
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 30 2018, 02:08 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2019 - 07:18 PM