Most Important To Learn
liveOASISforever
Jun 24 2013, 07:10 AM
GMC:er
Hi

There is so much theory to learn and I have being learning small amounts over the last couple of months which makes me see how beneficial it really is. Although I was wondering what is the most important parts of theory for me to be learning.This way I can focus on learning theory that will help me the most right now.

Cheers Sean

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 24 2013, 11:09 AM
Instructor
Your question is very tought to answer because it's very individual. I think Matt will help You a lot with this one. To be honest every piece of theory is useful...like learning to recognize and naming the intervals, remembering their character etc...

But if I would have to answer this question I would suggest to learn some basic things like - rhythm notation and usage (at the music school we were learning how some precise rhythm gropus sound so we could name them without a moment of hesitation)

Maybe it's funny but it's a very common problem...beginners don't know the notes layout on the fretboard and without it they can't use any piece of theory knowledge smile.gif

Next would be the 5th's circle - knowing the alteration marks of basic major and minor keys is a must to threat it with anykind of further scales, mods etc....or just understand "WHY this note doesn't fit". Same with always knowing the notes of each chord in the song.

Then I would go to the modal scales. If You understand where they came from, You'll be using them much easier - sometimes translating to the root major key will help a lot while improvising. I suggest to start from C-major and all the modals before trying to use them. C-major has no altered notes so it's always easy to NOT make a mistake while learning. Once You're done You can create Your own licks and shapes for each scales.

You have treat this part like a math - learn the patterns...not the whole "sites of calculation".

I think If I could choose anything from theory that I would like to learn first if I was at Your point...those would be things above because they're necessary no matter what You play smile.gif Cheers!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 24 2013, 01:17 PM
Theory Instructor
Good question. I would start with the fundamentals, learning to find the notes on the staff, how to build chords and scales, the building blocks of theory. That way you will have a solid foundation, but also be able to explore each of those topics further as you need to down the road.

Check out this link, it's a good intro to the different fundamentals of theory, cool place to start and then build up from there.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48817

Cheers!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 24 2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah hard question smile.gif

I'd say if there was a "most important" it would do a lot with ear-training. Practicing interval and scales would benefit most when jamming (at least making you able to play what you hear in your head).

But the more theory you learn and practice, you'll crate more original and personal tunes; This is simply the ultimate goal for every professional guitar player one way or the other.

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 24 2013, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 24 2013, 11:09 AM) *
Your question is very tought to answer because it's very individual. I think Matt will help You a lot with this one. To be honest every piece of theory is useful...like learning to recognize and naming the intervals, remembering their character etc...

But if I would have to answer this question I would suggest to learn some basic things like - rhythm notation and usage (at the music school we were learning how some precise rhythm gropus sound so we could name them without a moment of hesitation)

Maybe it's funny but it's a very common problem...beginners don't know the notes layout on the fretboard and without it they can't use any piece of theory knowledge smile.gif

Next would be the 5th's circle - knowing the alteration marks of basic major and minor keys is a must to threat it with anykind of further scales, mods etc....or just understand "WHY this note doesn't fit". Same with always knowing the notes of each chord in the song.

Then I would go to the modal scales. If You understand where they came from, You'll be using them much easier - sometimes translating to the root major key will help a lot while improvising. I suggest to start from C-major and all the modals before trying to use them. C-major has no altered notes so it's always easy to NOT make a mistake while learning. Once You're done You can create Your own licks and shapes for each scales.

You have treat this part like a math - learn the patterns...not the whole "sites of calculation".

I think If I could choose anything from theory that I would like to learn first if I was at Your point...those would be things above because they're necessary no matter what You play smile.gif Cheers!

Thanks very much Darius for your detailed answer. The problem I find with theory is I learn something then dont use it and forget it. Also there is so much theory sometimes I think is this certain part of theory going to be more beneficial over some other part of theory. Am I wasting my time learning something that I need to learn more basic theory to have a better understanding.

I will check out your suggestions thanks again mate

QUOTE (The Professor @ Jun 24 2013, 01:17 PM) *
Good question. I would start with the fundamentals, learning to find the notes on the staff, how to build chords and scales, the building blocks of theory. That way you will have a solid foundation, but also be able to explore each of those topics further as you need to down the road.

Check out this link, it's a good intro to the different fundamentals of theory, cool place to start and then build up from there.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48817

Cheers!

Thanks mate I shall be having a good read over this tonight

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 24 2013, 08:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 24 2013, 04:53 PM) *
Thanks very much Darius for your detailed answer. The problem I find with theory is I learn something then dont use it and forget it. Also there is so much theory sometimes I think is this certain part of theory going to be more beneficial over some other part of theory. Am I wasting my time learning something that I need to learn more basic theory to have a better understanding.

I will check out your suggestions thanks again mate

Thanks mate I shall be having a good read over this tonight

I know what You mean - we all do sometimes...learn and forget. This is why I don't like to tread guitar like a school subject. I was never trying to do too much at the same time. I was just chosing one topic and exploring it for some time. I think You could do the same and You are fully free to choose the topic of Your current workout. This always worked best for me even if everything took years ans still huge amount of things to learn..but...this is a reason why guitar is the only thing in my life that never made me bored smile.gif))) Good luck with Your theory quest my friend smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:22 AM