3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Collaborations, Chordprogressions
kjutte
Dec 14 2008, 05:55 AM
GMC:er
Hi everyone.

I strongly think that knowing the chordprogression usually opens many doors.
So I would request that all collabs from now on have a chordprogression.

Example:

CODE
Chords are:
F#dim Em F#dim Amin

Idim bVIImin Idim bIIImin

Scale suggestion:
F Locrian (Relative E Aeolian can be used also, as they share the same notes.)
F Locrian#6 (2nd mode of harmonic minor)

Hope someone else agrees to this. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kjutte: Dec 14 2008, 06:15 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SensE
Dec 14 2008, 06:25 AM
I'm the first one who agree on this. I've seen many instuctor video list the chord use in the video. I think this idea should be widely used in everywhere.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 14 2008, 06:54 AM
Instructor
I agree guys
I will do a collab in next couple of days and will include both chord progression and scale recommendation.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 14 2008, 06:58 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 14 2008, 06:54 AM) *
I agree guys
I will do a collab in next couple of days and will include both chord progression and scale recommendation.
smile.gif

While I have you here Pedja, mind checking Ivan's collab backing and post the chords? biggrin.gif
He wasn't sure.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 14 2008, 07:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kjutte @ Dec 14 2008, 06:58 AM) *
While I have you here Pedja, mind checking Ivan's collab backing and post the chords? biggrin.gif
He wasn't sure.

I heard B natural minor in there , the main riff B D E all power chords and coming back (E D B A cool.gif etc. At some point there is F# G A going to B all power chords again.
Cool thing is first section (B D E riff) you could play B aeolian or B dorian and of course minor pentatonic, blues scale even spice it up with major pentatonic.
The second section you can spice up with some B harmonic minor over F# and G power chords but again B natural minor and minor pentatonic will work for everything no problem.
wink.gif

Quick Edit - As far as 3 note chords go first part could be B minor , D major, E minor coming back E minor , D major B minor A major. Second part could be F# minor G major A major B minor.
Thats as simple as possible all related to B aeolian/natural minor scale.

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Dec 14 2008, 07:16 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 14 2008, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I cant write a solo without knowing the chordprogression so i am for this 100%

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Dec 14 2008, 08:47 AM
Awesome idea, will def. help with learning some theory stuff along with practicing the actual pieces.

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 14 2008, 08:49 AM
QUOTE (GuitarsANDtattoos @ Dec 14 2008, 08:47 AM) *
Awesome idea, will def. help with learning some theory stuff along with practicing the actual pieces.

Well, we're talking collabs and not lessons. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 14 2008, 02:09 PM
100% agree. I think this will add more to the collabs as a lot of people play random notes most of the time (including myself).

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 14 2008, 02:12 PM
I don't need to know the chord progression to record as using your ears helps you a lot more.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 14 2008, 04:15 PM
Bump

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 14 2008, 04:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
I must say that I agree with OrganisedConfusion on this one. If the chordprogression seems hard to get by ear, one could always kindly ask fellow members of the board or the respective instructor.

Oh, and my ear is as bad as it gets!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 14 2008, 04:22 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 14 2008, 04:17 PM) *
I must say that I agree with OrganisedConfusion on this one. If the chordprogression seems hard to get by ear, one could always kindly ask fellow members of the board or the respective instructor.

Oh, and my ear is as bad as it gets!

Or just post it so that we won't have to ask?
I personally always want the progression , and it takes 2 secs to write it up. Worth it.

Also, why noodle around to spot notes when you can get the science on paper?
I think it's a silly argument, no offense.

Example.
Say you wanna pull of a diminished sweep, which works over a X7 chord.
You knwo the theory but not the sound of it.

Are you gonna noodle around with diminished crap all through the tune? say the X7 chord is just played once.
No.

End of argument I believe.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Dec 14 2008, 04:28 PM

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 14 2008, 04:23 PM
True, but isn't it a tiny effort for the collaboration-instructor to name the chords? wink.gif Maybe the chords should be made invisible so the ones that do want to train their ears can do that without spoilers.

EDIT: kjetil was quicker.

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Dec 14 2008, 04:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 14 2008, 04:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (kjutte @ Dec 14 2008, 04:22 PM) *
Or just post it so that we won't have to ask?
I personally always want the progression , and it takes 2 secs to write it up. Worth it.

Also, why noodle around to spot notes when you can get the science on paper?
I think it's a silly argument, no offense.

To train your ear wink.gif

Example.
Say you wanna pull of a diminished sweep, which works over a X7 chord.
You knwo the theory but not the sound of it.

You train your ear to be able to know the sound of it. It takes time, but in the end it's worth it.

Are you gonna noodle around with diminished crap all through the tune? say the X7 chord is just played once.
No.

7th chords are in general easy to catch on to. I see your point, but defend my own as being able to hear something by ear is a huge plus for any musician.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 14 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm not going to be offended if they do post the chords lol. I just meant that I wont be looking at them as I think it's cheating in a way. A lot of people like to try and work out the chords by ear to progress their knowledge. I think if they were posted straight away it would make some people lazy and they may not progress as much sad.gif I think whoever wants the chord progression should say in the original collab thread and say they want to be PMed the chord progression.

But that's just my thought. Your ears are obviously a key tool in recording music and solos and hearing progressions. If you don't develop them then you can never hope to be good.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 14 2008, 04:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 14 2008, 04:45 PM) *
I'm not going to be offended if they do post the chords lol. I just meant that I wont be looking at them as I think it's cheating in a way. A lot of people like to try and work out the chords by ear to progress their knowledge. I think if they were posted straight away it would make some people lazy and they may not progress as much sad.gif I think whoever wants the chord progression should say in the original collab thread and say they want to be PMed the chord progression.

But that's just my thought. Your ears are obviously a key tool in recording music and solos and hearing progressions. If you don't develop them then you can never hope to be good.

Ye speaketh me words, bro! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 14 2008, 04:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 14 2008, 04:47 PM
That's why I said... make the chords invisible... that's possible right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 14 2008, 05:00 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 14 2008, 04:43 PM) *
To train your ear wink.gif

You train your ear to be able to know the sound of it. It takes time, but in the end it's worth it.

7th chords are in general easy to catch on to. I see your point, but defend my own as being able to hear something by ear is a huge plus for any musician.

This is starting to piss me off.
Recording has nothing to do with practise.

You gotta have your facts straight when you're doing a recording.
I agree that it's nice to train to hear chords, but you do that when you're not 10 secs from doing a take.

We all want to hear every chord there is, but not showing chordprogression in collabs won't help that.
Less speculation please.

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 14 2008, 04:45 PM) *

You're always crying about your zero development man, and now you lecture my development?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 14 2008, 05:03 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Dec 14 2008, 04:00 PM) *
This is starting to piss me off.
Recording has nothing to do with practise.

You gotta have your facts straight when you're doing a recording.
I agree that it's nice to train to hear chords, but you do that when you're not 10 secs from doing a take.

We all want to hear every chord there is, but not showing chordprogression in collabs won't help that.
Less speculation please.

You're always crying about your zero development man, and now you lecture my development?

One thing I can do well is hear what is going on. I'm just limited in my playing ability. I can write songs way above my talent as a guitarist but unfortunately lack the skills to play the things but that's because I've been a musician for 19 years but only a guitarist for just over 5.

I know some people lack the time to figure it out but I'm just saying others prefer to just be given a backing and work it out for themselves. Not saying you're wrong or anything mate with your request. Just saying not everybody wants the chords put out for them.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Dec 14 2008, 05:05 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:42 PM