2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Realizing There Is No Such Thing As Talent
Darknodar123
Nov 11 2009, 03:08 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys do you know how I thought I should start playing guitar?

I was playing, since last 2 years, a game called Guitar Hero.I was very good at it even I won some competitions and I thought if I have talent on this thing why wouldnt I have on real guitar.

So I thought it would be good to learn.But I was disappointed.

Real guitar CANT be compared to Guitar Hero.Its a hundred times more difficult.

And today I saw the tip of the day.

<<What's the secret? - REALIZING THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TALENT. If you think you have talent you won't work hard enough (=practice all day).>>

I thought that I would be good in real guitar in no time as I thought I had <talent> in it.But I was wrong.

This tip of the day has really motivated me to work harder smile.gif

You may wonder why I posted this smile.gif Well I just expressed myself and the motivation to work harder.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 11 2009, 04:55 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hehe, that must be lesson nº1 we all have learnt here at GMC!
Practice, practice, practice!

And yes, GH is a great game and fun, but it's just a game after all. The real thing is more rewarding smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 11 2009, 05:04 PM
There is no substitute for Hard Work!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Nov 11 2009, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Fran @ Nov 11 2009, 10:55 AM) *
And yes, GH is a great game and fun, but it's just a game after all. The real thing is more rewarding

So Call of Duty isn't preparing me for combat? unsure.gif

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 11 2009, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Nov 11 2009, 10:12 AM) *
So Call of Duty isn't preparing me for combat? unsure.gif

Would you be able to find cover and provide suppressing fire?

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 11 2009, 05:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Im telling my kids everytime when they are playing GH or Rock Band: "-Why dont You step in to my room and learn some real Rock'n'Roll instead?". Does it work? Nah.... they still play these games. Its MUCH more challenging and fun to play a real guitar instead of this plastic things... (btw. I beat them both easily on GH. laugh.gif )

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Nov 11 2009, 05:24 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 11 2009, 06:22 PM) *
Im telling my kids everytime when they are playing GH or Rock Band: "-Why dont You step in to my room and learn some real Rock'n'Roll instead?". Does it work? Nah.... they still play these games. Its MUCH more challenging and fun to play a real guitar instead of this plastic things... (btw. I beat them both easily on GH. laugh.gif )

//Staffay

lol

As Fran stated its really fun to play GH but it cant be compared to real guitar.

In my opinion I think you should convince your kids to try the guitar.

They will love it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Nov 11 2009, 07:09 PM
Instructor
It was the other way around with me.
I thought that since i knew how to play guitar then Guitar Hero couldnt possibly be difficult.

But, i soon learned that i seriously suck at Guitar Hero smile.gif
There's something about the timing of the notes thats just really alien to me.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Nov 11 2009, 07:10 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Nov 11 2009, 07:13 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Nov 11 2009, 08:09 PM) *
It was the other way around with me.
I thought that since i knew how to play guitar then Guitar Hero couldnt possibly be difficult.

But, i soon learned that i seriously suck at Guitar Hero smile.gif
There's something about the timing of the notes thats just really alien to me.

REALLY???

I wish the same could happen to me smile.gif

To me its actually a curse being able to play all songs on GH on expert and not being able to play some chords on real guitar smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 11 2009, 08:02 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hehehe, then again this only goes to show that "practice makes perfect", both in video gaming & guitar.

I too used to play GH. When I realized that nailing songs in expert was actually more time consuming than guitar I quit laugh.gif, was fun anyway, I will play again one of those games like Rock Band etc in the future. I hear drums are actually quite "real", or at least much more real than the guitar emulation they deliver.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Shadow21
Nov 11 2009, 08:22 PM
I remember I was playing GH with some friends, and they beat me, so they were teasing me. To have a laught I got my guitar and played some crazy licks and riffs, and they immediatly shut up and said - Ok, you win! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Nov 11 2009, 08:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Guitar Hero - easy - fun
Guitar - hard - INCREDIBLY FUN...

biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Wabba
Nov 11 2009, 09:11 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Nov 11 2009, 09:27 PM) *
Guitar - hard - INCREDIBLY FUN...

Times thousand. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 11 2009, 10:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I also don't believe in talent...Actually I only think that "talent" is motivation that is driving you to start playing guitar in the first place and not driving race cars for example, everything else is practice practice practice. Of course people are different and learn at different pace.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 11 2009, 10:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 11 2009, 10:42 PM) *
I also don't believe in talent...Actually I only think that "talent" is motivation that is driving you to start playing guitar in the first place and not driving race cars for example, everything else is practice practice practice. Of course people are different and learn at different pace.

I agree to that, except for one thing. All people can learn to play an instrument exactly the same as someone else, its just a matter of craftmanship - but it takes some musicality to compose a piece of music or to improvise. My mother is totally tone-deaf, so I know what Im talking bout... laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 11 2009, 11:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 11 2009, 10:50 PM) *
I agree to that, except for one thing. All people can learn to play an instrument exactly the same as someone else, its just a matter of craftmanship - but it takes some musicality to compose a piece of music or to improvise. My mother is totally tone-deaf, so I know what Im talking bout... laugh.gif

//Staffay

I also agree to musicality. Its a matter of creativity and what you can come up with and its totally individual. Some people are just not talented for that I guess term talented could be applied in that sense. Now regarding learning to play exactly the same like someone else, that can be individual since there are some genetic features involved I guess that may prevent us from doing something as fast as someone or exactly the same way. Some people can run fast and jump high and some just can't. But with enough practice they can come really close though! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 11 2009, 11:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 11 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Some people can run fast and jump high and some just can't. But with enough practice they can come really close though! smile.gif

Yeah, You're absolutely right here! Even that I've tried to both run fast and jump high as well as practiced this in school I never succeeded laugh.gif , I just wasn't built for that.... Same goes for co-ordination I believe, even that it can be trained... Some people are just THAT clumsy - and they will have a much harder time to play than others...

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 12 2009, 02:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Nov 11 2009, 03:08 PM) *
Hey guys do you know how I thought I should start playing guitar?

I was playing, since last 2 years, a game called Guitar Hero.I was very good at it even I won some competitions and I thought if I have talent on this thing why wouldnt I have on real guitar.

So I thought it would be good to learn.But I was disappointed.

Real guitar CANT be compared to Guitar Hero.Its a hundred times more difficult.

And today I saw the tip of the day.

<<What's the secret? - REALIZING THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TALENT. If you think you have talent you won't work hard enough (=practice all day).>>

I thought that I would be good in real guitar in no time as I thought I had <talent> in it.But I was wrong.

This tip of the day has really motivated me to work harder smile.gif

You may wonder why I posted this smile.gif Well I just expressed myself and the motivation to work harder.

Start learning songs you love, this way you´ll get very motivated, once you pull them off,

I onced had a discussion with a friend, our conclusion was:

John Petrucci: 20% talent, 80% practice

Yngwie Malmsteen: 20% practice, 80% talent

but they are both great so,

what do you think?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 12 2009, 02:48 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think Guitar Hero is super hard, I utterly suck at it laugh.gif

Sheet music is fine, but color coordinated buttons? No way...

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 12 2009, 07:45 AM
I think that some people have more skills than other and can learn faster than other, but, talent without hard work is nothing. Working hard is the secret of this. We're all able to play whatever we want. It's just a matter of practice and do the things in the better way we can. Just as life

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:44 AM