Global Metal, new documentary by Sam Dunn
rokchik
Mar 8 2009, 06:32 PM
The Dark Canuck
Hey GMC'ers,

Not sure if anyone has discussed this yet, but Canadian Anthropologist Sam Dunn has made another metal documentary. He did "Metal: A Headbangers Journey" back in 2005 which was really very interesting to watch. I learned a lot and even found some new bands to listen too smile.gif His new one "Global Metal" was released last June and is on DVD... actually I think it's been out for a few months now. This new documentary talks about the globalization of metal and from what I've seen it is very interesting and worth checking out.

I think parts of it are on youtube but I have it ordered now from Amazon and will give a review once I've seen it all.

rok

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Mar 8 2009, 06:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Emir Hot
Mar 8 2009, 07:05 PM
Instructor
was this first part shot in many different countries and they also visited Iron Maiden concert somewhere in Asia? I have seen this documentary if that's the one. It was very cool to watch it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2009, 07:54 PM
Instructor
This movie/documentary is one of the most interesting movies that I saw about Metal. It's amazing and very inspiring. It's really cool to talk about this movie here in GMC because we have metal friend from the whole world so everybody can share with us how this music in their countries.

It covers the history of Metal in countries like India, Arabia, China, Japan, Brazil, and many more. And as Emir said they cover the first time that Maiden visits India. (It's a very emotive moment )

Highly recomended for every metalhead! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 8 2009, 08:19 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 8 2009, 03:54 PM) *
This movie/documentary is one of the most interesting movies that I saw about Metal. It's amazing and very inspiring. It's really cool to talk about this movie here in GMC because we have metal friend from the whole world so everybody can share with us how this music in their countries.

It covers the history of Metal in countries like India, Arabia, China, Japan, Brazil, and many more. And as Emir said they cover the first time that Maiden visits India. (It's a very emotive moment )

Highly recomended for every metalhead! wink.gif

Yes I think it's a movie every metalhead should see, and even people who are not huge fans of metal. It really shows how the genre has brought so much to so many. I only saw the first little bit where they talk about metal in Brazil around the time of the Rock in Rio concert in '85. Even just to hear people talk about how significant that concert was for Brazil at that time is amazing. Music bringing people together... that's what it is all about smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 8 2009, 08:25 PM
Instructor
Ok now I am sure we are talking about the same movie smile.gif I had the link for the whole streaming documentary. I'll post it if I find it again

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 8 2009, 08:33 PM
The Dark Canuck
Here is the first part on youtube.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 8 2009, 08:57 PM
Instructor
I watched Global Metal not so long ago actually and I think it's better than his first documentary.
It's really well done and thoughtfull.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 8 2009, 11:31 PM
Instructor
yeah!! two movies are awesome! wink.gif
@Gab: Highly recomended for every metalhead

yeah agree 100 %

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 9 2009, 01:06 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I saw the first documentary and enjoyed it very much..It was very educational...I didn't know this one was out, gonna have to see it..Also I want to see Flight 666 documentary about Iron Maiden wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 9 2009, 01:24 AM
GMC:er
I saw a few clips of it, and it was rather interesting. Especially the part about Salem and the Israel Metal scene. Im not gonna go on detail, but that seems like another chapter of Varg and his hateful past that was never been spoken of before. At least not as much as his other acts.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Mar 9 2009, 01:25 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
skennington
Mar 9 2009, 01:32 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Thanks for sharing Susan, I have never seen either. Will have to those on my "to watch" list! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 11 2009, 06:25 AM
Instructor
Wow, thanx for sharing this!

I'll be checking these documentals for sure biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 11 2009, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Here's the trailer:

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 12 2009, 10:26 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Thanks for sharing smile.gif
His first was amazing, I can't wait to watch this smile.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 12 2009, 08:35 PM
The Dark Canuck
I'm happy for sharing smile.gif

I received my copy in the mail today so I am going to watch it after supper.

+Quote Post
Mr T
Mar 12 2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, didn't know he had made another documentary. This one was very interesting to watch, perhaps even more than the last one.

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 12 2009, 11:51 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Interesting. Got to watch this!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 13 2009, 01:28 AM
The Dark Canuck
Just finished watching the movie and it was so interesting and just a truly enjoyable watch. I can only begin to imagine how the fans in India felt having Iron Maiden play their first concert EVER there. Just too cool!!!

Really if you haven't seen it yet watch it.

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Mar 13 2009, 01:34 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info and the clips. I gotta see this one, and soon!

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 13 2009, 03:07 PM
Jazz Instructor
I recently watched documentary about 80's heavy metal, great stuff, looking forward to seeing this one, metal IS globa phenomenon, however I am more interested in sociological context of metal music, how it's connected with current ideology and so...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:14 AM