Qeustion For Kris, about sweden
Guitarman700
Jun 12 2007, 11:53 PM
GMC:er
Is Waffle Day really a Swedish holiday? if so your one lucky man! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
Ryan
Jun 13 2007, 12:17 AM
hahaha

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jun 13 2007, 02:54 AM
I'm completely serious, its September 25, i think

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 13 2007, 05:28 AM
i dont doubt you dude..but lol its just kinda funny a holiday for waffles...hmm i wish i had a holiday like that..except for PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHS WOOOOOOOOOOO ..PB&J Day woooooooooooooooooooo

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
Jun 13 2007, 06:51 AM
GMC Tech & Community Manager
I'm not Kris, but I'm swedish... and we DO have a waffle day, but it's not a holiday. We still have to work and stuff, but we do get a great excuse to eat waffles! Not that I usually need an excuse for that... cool.gif

The funny thing is that originally it's basically just a misunderstanding due to some dialects. It's celebrated on march 25, which is the feast of Annunciation (or Lady Day, wikipedia link), but in swedish the original word for this celebration is "Vårfrudagen" which is quite close to "Våffeldagen" (Waffle Day). In time (around the 17th century) this became the same thing in some dialects, and of course people where real quick to pick this up as an excuse to eat waffles tongue.gif

Also, please note that scandinavian waffles aren't exactly the same as the waffles that are more common internationally (which are the Belgian ones, if I'm not mistaken). Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffles

So that's the story... to summarize: come to sweden on march 25, and you'll get to eat lots of waffles! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 13 2007, 09:22 AM
GMC Founder
A waffle-day per year??

No way - everyday is waffle day! biggrin.gif (Unless pancakes for some reason seems more appealing)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jun 13 2007, 10:36 AM
As If i needed ANOTHER reason to move there!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 13 2007, 11:11 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 13 2007, 11:36 AM) *
As If i needed ANOTHER reason to move there!

I am not sure - but I believe Belgium is the best country for waffles... biggrin.gif

Now for pancakes I must say France beats beats all... You can buy crepes with nutella in every corner - fantastic! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2007, 11:48 AM
My waffle maker. As you see, great reviews, not expensive, Very nice. I am too tired, but you guys almost made me go fire up the waffle maker.

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WMK300-Belgia...7932&sr=8-1

Although i know, should make them from scratch, this stuff is pretty good and available everywhere.

http://www.krusteaz.com/brands/krusteaz/pa...ian_waffle_mix/

I just use corn syrup, i prefer it to maple syrup. and i fire maybe 6 strips of bacon, and a glass of milk, and coffee also. Pretty good, and quick. The dog gets his share, but I have to watch it a bit, he is too fat.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 13 2007, 11:55 AM

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
Jun 13 2007, 12:03 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 13 2007, 12:11 PM) *
I am not sure - but I believe Belgium is the best country for waffles... biggrin.gif

Now for pancakes I must say France beats beats all... You can buy crepes with nutella in every corner - fantastic! biggrin.gif

Belgium? Best country for waffles? blink.gif
Traitor! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Seriously though, belgian waffles and scandinavian ones are quite different, aren't they?

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jun 13 2007, 12:20 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ Jun 13 2007, 01:03 PM) *
Belgium? Best country for waffles? blink.gif
Traitor! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Seriously though, belgian waffles and scandinavian ones are quite different, aren't they?

Yeah, and Scandinavian ones are quite different from place to place. I think in some parts of Sweden (probably South, since that's closer to me) there's whipped cream in the mix? At least that's what some people here call "Swedish waffles", even if I know Swedes tends to make them pretty much the same as ours.

Belgian waffles - I could "only" eat one of those at a time tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
Jun 13 2007, 04:20 PM
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jun 13 2007, 01:20 PM) *
Yeah, and Scandinavian ones are quite different from place to place. I think in some parts of Sweden (probably South, since that's closer to me) there's whipped cream in the mix? At least that's what some people here call "Swedish waffles", even if I know Swedes tends to make them pretty much the same as ours.

Belgian waffles - I could "only" eat one of those at a time tongue.gif

Personally, I don't use whipped cream in the mix.

I use my grandmother's recipe which she gave me 8 years ago. It's the BEST way there is to make waffles! I can't tell you about it though, it's a secret! wink.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Jun 13 2007, 05:16 PM
Guys stop, your making me hungery

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 13 2007, 10:59 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Belgium is probably the best place for waffles, and probably chocolate to.,

For some strange reason i want chineese food right now...

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 14 2007, 05:02 PM
Lets go fishing!
FOOD!!! blink.gif I love pancake day myself !!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
AdamWest
Jun 17 2007, 08:29 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 15 2007, 02:02 AM) *
FOOD!!! blink.gif I love pancake day myself !!! biggrin.gif

There is a pancake day here in australia, i think its to raise money for something. On this day in primary school we used to waste half the day making pancakes. No more of that in high school though. No more love sad.gif

--------------------
My Gear:

-Nature by Jixing Electric guitar (E30 Model)
-JX-6520 30W Amplifier w/ headphones

-IPB Image-
-IPB Image-
-IPB Image-
-IPB Image-
-IPB Image-

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 17 2007, 10:12 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 13 2007, 12:48 PM) *
I just use corn syrup, i prefer it to maple syrup. and i fire maybe 6 strips of bacon, and a glass of milk, and coffee also. Pretty good, and quick. The dog gets his share, but I have to watch it a bit, he is too fat.

When your dog is full you can send the rest to me - sounds like an excellent combintaion...! Nothing suitable for the weak, though!

QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ Jun 13 2007, 05:20 PM) *
I use my grandmother's recipe which she gave me 8 years ago. It's the BEST way there is to make waffles! I can't tell you about it though, it's a secret! wink.gif

Same goes for you Henrik - only you don't have a dog. Secret waffle recipe sounds heavenly good though... Man why do I turn the computer on before breakfast?? blink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 17 2007, 05:08 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Looking for some advide on what to eat!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:02 AM