Artificial Harmonics On Upper Strings
Ayen
Sep 27 2007, 02:10 PM
GMC:er
For some reason I can never get an artificial harmonic out of the top three strings. Any artificial harmonics on the bottom three sounds fine, I get the sound I want.

Lets say I were to try and get an artificial harmonic out of the low E string, It would come out as a normal bend. I believe I'm hitting it the right way, the same as high E.

Can anyone help?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ayen: Sep 27 2007, 02:13 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Sep 27 2007, 02:40 PM
You might have to mess around until you find the right place to pick on the string, it can differ from string to string, and usually does. If that doesn't help, not sure what else to say but make sure your picking hand technique is correct... and to turn the gain up, but that's just cheating. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 27 2007, 03:48 PM
I have the same problem with this and would like to know how to do it. I can do it fine on 4 strings but A and E for me just sounds like a normal bend, not what others are playing which sounds good

+Quote Post
Nick325
Sep 29 2007, 04:32 AM
i have the same problem only for the a and low e strings. i want to get it on the low e so i cant get those crazy harmonics like zakk wylde

+Quote Post
Kosei Kubota
Sep 29 2007, 04:52 PM
Classical Instructor
Pick your string hard near the bridge.
It might help. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 29 2007, 05:26 PM
Instructor
Low strings are just the same but you may have to pick harder and work on a 100% correct place to hit it. There is no other trick for it.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 29 2007, 07:45 PM
Instructor
This is odd,I have troubles with 2 highest strings. cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 29 2007, 09:25 PM
Instructor
Yeah, you need lot of distortion, great trebles and good presence. And another thing you need to mute the other strings.

Here is a Mattias IA Eklundh pic wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 30 2007, 12:50 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Thats a helpful diagram - thanks Juan!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 30 2007, 05:39 AM
Instructor
You can find more diagrams in the IA official website: http://www.freakguitar.com/

Those are in the LICKS section... (see the right column)

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jan 15 2008, 12:00 AM
Hey there, sorry but could anyone explain the diagram illustrated above? I don't really get it, what does it show. I thought it depends on where you hit the string over the pickups whether the pitch harmonic screams out or not ?! Greetings..

+Quote Post
steve25
Jan 15 2008, 01:00 AM
Since September when i replied i've been able to pull this off. I believe this has something to do with using smaller surface area but i'm not 100%. For 5 strings i can pinch harmonic with my thumb, one i cannot (guess which). The bass E string is a little tricky, and i have to do something different with it.

If i try to do it with my thumb it'll sound only slightly different to a normal picked note, of course add in the bend and it just sounds like a bend, only a tad bit higher pitched. My guitar teacher thought it was ok, i did not! I sat in my room for ages trying to figure it out until i did something, try this and let me know if it works. Instead of using your thumb to do it, i used my middle finger on my right hand. In the normal picking position, place the small knuckle part of your middle finger (the joint before the nail) onto the string, now try picking, you should get your desired sound, i did by using this method. The thing is, this is the only way that i can do it at the moment. Now the area i'm using to pinch harmonic with my finger is smaller then what i use for my thumb, perhaps this has something to do with it. I'm not too sure it worked for me. If you don't get what i said let me know and i'll try and explain it a bit better. Hope this helps

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 15 2008, 01:37 AM
Instructor
The diagram posted by Valero works for open strings, you still can use it for pressed note, but you have to use fractions....
If it sounds like bending two things may be happened. One youre pressing so hard with fretting hand that you´re actually bending the string so you change the intonation and harmonic takes place somewhere else in the guitar. Twi your picking hand may push too hard bending again the string. Harmonics are abput presition no about strenght.
The other thing that hels is the direction you pluck strings, try near the bridge ands the direction should be from the inside of the string to the outside like you were doing some kind of popping.
Harmonics makes bassier partial of the notes disappear that's why you should seek playing a trebly sound

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 15 2008, 01:45 AM
For the E A D I use my thumb for harmonics for G B E I use my pinky...

I'm just strange.

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jan 15 2008, 12:32 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jan 15 2008, 01:00 AM) *
Since September when i replied i've been able to pull this off. I believe this has something to do with using smaller surface area but i'm not 100%. For 5 strings i can pinch harmonic with my thumb, one i cannot (guess which). The bass E string is a little tricky, and i have to do something different with it.

If i try to do it with my thumb it'll sound only slightly different to a normal picked note, of course add in the bend and it just sounds like a bend, only a tad bit higher pitched. My guitar teacher thought it was ok, i did not! I sat in my room for ages trying to figure it out until i did something, try this and let me know if it works. Instead of using your thumb to do it, i used my middle finger on my right hand. In the normal picking position, place the small knuckle part of your middle finger (the joint before the nail) onto the string, now try picking, you should get your desired sound, i did by using this method. The thing is, this is the only way that i can do it at the moment. Now the area i'm using to pinch harmonic with my finger is smaller then what i use for my thumb, perhaps this has something to do with it. I'm not too sure it worked for me. If you don't get what i said let me know and i'll try and explain it a bit better. Hope this helps

Hey dude,
thanks for sharing your experiences with us. But I find it hard to make out what you mean exactly. Maybe you try to describe onesmore? Maybe you can even post a photo ! Greetings !

+Quote Post
steve25
Jan 15 2008, 04:15 PM
Sure, i'll put up some pictures explaining what i mean when i can, i'll try and do it later if i can.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 15 2008, 04:38 PM
Downtune your strings by a step (or 2 steps to C for the low E string), and add generous vibrato and gain when you try to pinch. Make note of where you generated it. Under these conditions, it's somewhat easier to hit pinches, but really note the exact spot you're hitting it. Now tune back to standard, and give it a shot.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jan 15 2008, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jan 15 2008, 04:15 PM) *
Sure, i'll put up some pictures explaining what i mean when i can, i'll try and do it later if i can.

Thanks a lot man...I appreciate that !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:53 PM