How To Create Riffs ?
ruben_mcn
Mar 6 2010, 06:17 PM
Learning Roadie
HOw do you guys create riffs ?? huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
superize
Mar 6 2010, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Play play play.......

Find some good patterns and use them in different positions

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 6 2010, 06:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Open RiffRoller V2.3 and press Create wink.gif

No.... just jam a lot and you'll come up with something good. A bit of theory might help as well smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 6 2010, 06:55 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also recommend that you just grab your guitar and play... and if you don't come up with a nice riff, play some more wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 6 2010, 08:26 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Pretty much the same as everyone else, I just play as much as I can. I don't really think about exactly what I'm playing and just do some improvisation and every now and then, something cool comes up. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 6 2010, 09:35 PM
Instructor
It helps a lot to know the scale pattern, specially on bass strings. This way you can create more interesting and melodic patterns.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 6 2010, 09:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 6 2010, 12:55 PM) *
I also recommend that you just grab your guitar and play... and if you don't come up with a nice riff, play some more wink.gif

the man spoke, +1.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
intemperateContr...
Mar 7 2010, 12:07 AM
Learning Tone Master

This is a subject I studied some years ago. Riffs in my opinion (not theoretically)
starts with a series of repeating notes that you expand upon utilizing any given scale.
Some of the coolest riffs I learned didn't sound so cool unless you played them fast.
So, to me it was hard to tell what would sound good fast until I got my own creations
up to speed. Some riffs sound good slow or fast, and others that may sound good slow
do not sound good fast, etc. I think creating music is almost like making a stew, in
that each creation may have it's own flavor by variation, but it's all stew. Just like
Guitar sounds like guitar - good or bad, tasty or unsavory. In order to create your own
sound you need to go with your own talent, your own strengths, and expand upon them.
I could go on but see no need to babble. Learn from others, but create your own voice.
Just my two cents - I hope this is in some way helpful... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 7 2010, 12:47 AM
GMC:er
i had a lesson planned out on how to create riffs but i never got to it!

i thought it was really clever too! maybe ill get around to it now.. smile.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 7 2010, 12:44 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Fact is, you can sit at your window, gaze out and wait for inspiration to come, but this is not very reliable I would say wink.gif So if you want ideas, grab your instrument and play... and play... and play. It is a good idea to record yourself while just playing around, sometimes you play something that you really like and like that you have it on tape already, and you can work on it (or you just have a backup in case you just can't remember your idea on the next morning) Just be aware of the fact that there is no guarantee for a good idea, so there will be days on which you might be playing for several hours without anything good in the end, this just happens, just start all over again on the next day then.

This post has been edited by Marcus Siepen: Mar 7 2010, 12:48 PM

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 8 2010, 12:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 7 2010, 12:44 PM) *
Fact is, you can sit at your window, gaze out and wait for inspiration to come, but this is not very reliable I would say wink.gif So if you want ideas, grab your instrument and play... and play... and play. It is a good idea to record yourself while just playing around, sometimes you play something that you really like and like that you have it on tape already, and you can work on it (or you just have a backup in case you just can't remember your idea on the next morning) Just be aware of the fact that there is no guarantee for a good idea, so there will be days on which you might be playing for several hours without anything good in the end, this just happens, just start all over again on the next day then.

Wise words. Nothing will appear out of nothing (well, perhaps something, but that is rare wink.gif ). In order to make riffs, constant hard work is needed, it's all about playing, playing, involving with music as much as possible.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 13 2010, 06:00 PM
Instructor
what a good question!

everything that has been said here plus a good tip is to always be open to change what you already have, maybe think on other time signatures, substract a beat from the riff, add one, add a stop, change key suddenly...the point is to ALWAYS be open and never stop until you are completely satisfied...

the fact that one is satisfied means that many other people will be satisfied with the riff as well...in fact is the only way...great way to realize that we are all connected...through music!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:12 PM