Di Marzio Or Emg Active? Thats The Question
Tomas Santa Clar...
Jan 18 2009, 09:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
hi everyone i need your advice on what pick ups should replace the "emg designed" pick ups on my RGr320ex-rbk

Di marzio or EMG active

so heres the deal in april il get enought money for a set up with new bridge and new pick ups

my style is sort of a mix between "virtuoso" rock/blues ( joe satriani, slow methodical and melodical music) and Pure old school metal ( judas priest, flurrys of notes etc....)

now im realy pointed at the di marzio brand

do you know if it has good distortion / clean PU´s?

or should i just buy the EMG active and hope it sounds good wihle playing clean

HELP!
laugh.gif cya

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 18 2009, 09:19 PM
GMC:er
I have no experience with DiMarzio pickups, but I have EMG 81/85 in my Les Paul and I love the sound of them. The clean sound is nice and clear and the crunchy sound is really crunchy.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Jan 18 2009, 09:28 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
i don't have much experience with emgs, but i use dimarzios in my ibanez. the evolution pickup sound great, but beware of feedback when using with lots of distortion

my PAF Pro in the neck position is simply awesome for clean playing and coil split, but when using lots of distortion, the lower strings sounds really muddy (of course, since its a neck pickup smile.gif )

anyway, those were just my experiences with dimarzio

oh and with emgs, you can power them with 18 volts (not sure of the effects on tone, but sounds like a cool feature)

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 18 2009, 09:49 PM
I have 81/85s in my Schecter, I hear people complain about cleans - I can't see the issue. They sound great when you roll the volume and tone back a bit on a nice clean channel on the neck pickup. Make sure you have a decent amp though, cleans will sound crappy through a crappy amp obviously... I have a Fender Supersonic XD, sounds terrific through it!

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 18 2009, 09:59 PM
Why do you want to change them? If you can answer that question, maybe I can give you some advice on what pickup could do better. Otherwise you might be interested in my blogpost about changing the bridge PU in my Ibanez S470: http://29a.ch/2008/12/25/dimarzio-evolutio...-in-ibanez-s470. Oh and one more thing to consider, changing from passive pickups to active EMG is far more work than changing to other passive ones. You'll have to replace all the potis and even the cable jack and find some space for the battery.

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Tomas Santa Clar...
Jan 18 2009, 10:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (29a @ Jan 18 2009, 10:59 PM) *
Why do you want to change them? If you can answer that question, maybe I can give you some advice on what pickup could do better. Otherwise you might be interested in my blogpost about changing the bridge PU in my Ibanez S470: http://29a.ch/2008/12/25/dimarzio-evolutio...-in-ibanez-s470. Oh and one more thing to consider, changing from passive pickups to active EMG is far more work than changing to other passive ones. You'll have to replace all the potis and even the cable jack and find some space for the battery.

- Jonas

i want to change them because they sound very muddy to me
i tried the IBNz pickups on my grg170dx ( lower quality guitar) and they sound better to me

they have exposed pick ups not covered thats why i was thinking on dimarzio

EDIT: BTW im looking for a very sweet tone with the neck pick up

This post has been edited by Tomas Santa Clara: Jan 18 2009, 10:22 PM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jan 18 2009, 11:18 PM
Instructor
EMG's get my recommendation smile.gif But it's also very dependant on what you want to play. EMG's are the kings when it comes to metal.

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Jan 18 2009, 09:49 PM) *
I have 81/85s in my Schecter, I hear people complain about cleans - I can't see the issue. They sound great when you roll the volume and tone back a bit on a nice clean channel on the neck pickup. Make sure you have a decent amp though, cleans will sound crappy through a crappy amp obviously... I have a Fender Supersonic XD, sounds terrific through it!

I absolutely agree. I've managed to get some excellent clean sounds on my EMG's. Cant understand where all the complaining comes from.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 19 2009, 12:09 AM
Much like Trond says above, the EMGs are a great choice.
I haven't experienced any problems with the clean sound out of my EMGs either, I think I got some quite nice tones out of both my EMG 81 and my 60!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 19 2009, 12:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Jan 18 2009, 09:49 PM) *

I agree! Clean will sound clean with a nice clean amp channel. Also I think EMGs are great solution, very defined on distortion, and crystal clean on clean.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 19 2009, 01:25 AM
If you want a very clear pickups with lots of harmonics, the DiMarzio Evolution might be what you are looking for. For the Neck I haven't got much advise for you. I'm very happy with the INF1 in there.

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 19 2009, 01:59 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think the EMG combo mentioned is a safer option...Many players use that setup...Should sound well..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 19 2009, 02:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
For your playing styles: Definitely no emg's! Stay passive with a Dimarzio Evolution Bridge for Metal riffs and soloing and a paf pro (or paf Joe with more output) for the neck

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 19 2009, 02:54 AM
EMGs are awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 19 2009, 03:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jan 19 2009, 02:54 AM) *
EMGs are awesome.

They are but I don't think they are what he is looking for...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jan 19 2009, 05:51 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 18 2009, 08:48 PM) *
For your playing styles: Definitely no emg's! Stay passive with a Dimarzio Evolution Bridge for Metal riffs and soloing and a paf pro (or paf Joe with more output) for the neck

Thats exactly what I was thinking! You can't go wrong with the Evoultion/PAF Pro (or Joe) combo...
OR...
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ (if you got the money)
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_Tmd: Jan 19 2009, 05:55 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:10 PM