Rock On- Jerry C, key of.. ?
peterorg54
Nov 21 2007, 05:22 AM
GMC:er
what's the key of this song.. ?

anyone knows ??

and how do u recognize its key.. ??

like, if u hear a song, do u get the key... ?? by just hearing.. ?

i can play by ear, like, when i hear the song. i know what these notes are..

if i can do that, can i reconize its key easier . ??(but i dunno how. sad.gif )

sry, if it's a dumb question. im kinda beginner.. ohmy.gif

if u need a link.. ohmy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdlovtN7gZw

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 21 2007, 05:48 AM
QUOTE (peterorg54 @ Nov 20 2007, 10:22 PM) *
what's the key of this song.. ?

anyone knows ??

and how do u recognize its key.. ??

like, if u hear a song, do u get the key... ?? by just hearing.. ?

i can play by ear, like, when i hear the song. i know what these notes are..

if i can do that, can i reconize its key easier . ??(but i dunno how. sad.gif )

sry, if it's a dumb question. im kinda beginner.. ohmy.gif

if u need a link.. ohmy.gif

well, you can just do it by ear. play some notes, and you will feel that the tune tends to gravitate to a "home note". it will be obvious to your ear. just there is this pull towards some home note. that is the key.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
peterorg54
Nov 21 2007, 05:59 AM
i dont get it..

what do u mean gravitate ... ??

and whats the key of this song.. ??

+Quote Post
Josiah
Nov 21 2007, 06:55 AM
I think its A minor, same notes as in C major.
Sounds like the chords in the beginning are E G C A.

--------------------
Good Luck be with you,
Josiah

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 21 2007, 01:06 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I have a lesson here on working out the key of a song.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
peterorg54
Nov 23 2007, 08:05 AM
isnt the key G major .. ?

when it begins to play some solo..

it plays 8th fret and 10th on B string, that's C and D. (some people hear it G A or something... but my ear hears it C and D better, so let's go with C ,D first.)

so if i suppose 8th of b string is C, the root note is G. ( if i follow play down.and if i play backward again i get g major box automatically..)

and (here's the problem..) if i suppose 8th of b string is G. i get A for root note...( if i follow play down. and if i play back , i get a minor box..! which is what josiah mentioned.. !!!)

so josiah heard this song in minor , and i heard this song in major.. ??

OMG . am i the only one who gets confused in this situation???

did you guys understand what i mean.. ? sad.gif it's pretty hard to explain.. i have more questions about playing by ear and those stuff.. but they all are hard to explain.. !!! sad.gif )

it starts to play that solo part at 0:36...

+Quote Post
peterorg54
Nov 23 2007, 08:40 AM
oh. i just realized that G major notes are same as A minor.. sad.gif tongue.gif

so, we can say this song's key is (or keys are ?!) A minor and also G major.. ?

so if im more familiar hearing in minor sounds. i can work on this song with A minor scale box..

and if im more familiar with in major sounds. i can work on this song with G major scale box.. ??

right ????

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Nov 23 2007, 08:54 AM
I had a quick listen and it's in E minor Pete, this is the scale has the same notes as G Major(not A minor) but you need to focus on the E minor triad, E G B.
E is the root note. HTH

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
peterorg54
Nov 23 2007, 09:05 AM
oh yeah..

E. sleep.gif.. mellow.gif

not A.

sad.gif

i thought you would say "yeah it is" sad.gif

my hears it in g major... not e minor... cant i just follow my ear..

do i really have to suppose this as e minor .. ?

ah. and what do u mean 'E minor triad, E G B'

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Nov 23 2007, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (peterorg54 @ Nov 23 2007, 09:05 AM) *
oh yeah..

E. sleep.gif.. mellow.gif

not A.

sad.gif

i thought you would say "yeah it is" sad.gif

my hears it in g major... not e minor... cant i just follow my ear..

do i really have to suppose this as e minor .. ?

ah. and what do u mean 'E minor triad, E G B'

E minor is the relative minor of G major, so they both contain the same notes, 3 sharps I think. The main difference is the scales he use begin on E not G, so therefore it is E minor not G major. When he says "E minor Triad, E, G, B," what he means is E is the unison (root note) in an E minor triad (three-note chord), G is minor mediant (Minor 3rd scale degree) and G is the dominant ( Perfect fifth scale degree) in the key of E. When you play these three notes together, you get a E minor triad. In an E major triad, you would have the notes, E, G#, and B. But because we want the triad to be minor we flatten the 3rd scale degree (G#) by one half step, so it becomes G.

--------------------

+Quote Post
besip
Nov 24 2007, 04:25 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Nov 23 2007, 12:18 PM) *

hey man that is great player..i'm like beghiner never heard about him but when you post here that question i'm was check some other his stuff and this is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOBTP0iDqY...feature=related

i'm on quitar just couple month but before i'm get here i'm just thing about my self to play rytmh quitar..after i'm see him to play i'm wanna soling also laugh.gif

i'm like the combinaction of power chords and solo play..i'm know i'm faraway from stuff like that..becouse i'm not almost not able to play nothing from here but when i'm grown up i'm will be like to learn this song rolleyes.gif

so if somebody has GP5 tabs or something give to me pls cool.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Nov 24 2007, 04:26 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
peterorg54
Nov 24 2007, 05:30 AM
QUOTE (besip @ Nov 23 2007, 07:25 PM) *
hey man that is great player..i'm like beghiner never heard about him but when you post here that question i'm was check some other his stuff and this is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOBTP0iDqY...feature=related

i'm on quitar just couple month but before i'm get here i'm just thing about my self to play rytmh quitar..after i'm see him to play i'm wanna soling also laugh.gif

i'm like the combinaction of power chords and solo play..i'm know i'm faraway from stuff like that..becouse i'm not almost not able to play nothing from here but when i'm grown up i'm will be like to learn this song rolleyes.gif

so if somebody has GP5 tabs or something give to me pls cool.gif

biggrin.gif He sure is a amazing player .

and get this. he's not just covering some other people's song. he composed all of those songs on youtube.( also that canon rock. ohmy.gif )

i hope u would be able to play that song someday biggrin.gif

and tabs are here.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?...ock&w=songs

+Quote Post
besip
Nov 24 2007, 05:38 AM
QUOTE (peterorg54 @ Nov 23 2007, 11:30 PM) *
:i hope u would be able to play that song someday biggrin.gif
and tabs are here.

[

hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also laugh.gif
thanks man cool.gif

do you have ID which tabs is closer to hes play??

This post has been edited by besip: Nov 24 2007, 05:39 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Nov 24 2007, 05:47 AM
QUOTE (besip @ Nov 24 2007, 05:38 AM) *
hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also laugh.gif
thanks man cool.gif

do you have ID which tabs is closer to hes play??

Whichever tab has 5 stars is the best one.

You should learn the chord progression first which is D-A-B-F#-G-D-G-A, so you can understand why he chose certain notes in the solo part.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Nov 24 2007, 05:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 24 2007, 04:05 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Nov 23 2007, 11:47 PM) *
Whichever tab has 5 stars is the best one.

You should learn the chord progression first which is D-A-B-F#-G-D-G-A, so you can understand why he chose certain notes in the solo part.

Which is actually a major progression :

D A Bm F#m G D G A

Scale of D major is D E F# G A B C#

Chords for D major scale would be:

D Major
E Minor
F# Minor
G Major
A Major
B Minor
C#dim

And as you can see, all of the chords above fir into this list, and D is the root or tonal center, making this a scale of D major, and not the relative minor which would be Bm.

Just for reference, I am taljing about the beginning of the song - I can;t remember if the key changes later on.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
besip
Nov 24 2007, 05:44 PM
shellshock1911--oo thanks man i'm realy far from do that now..all what i'm know is in future i'm will be try to work on this..i'm dont know yet nothing about progresion rolleyes.gif i'm bussy now to do exersizes and work on my first A-minor penta scale biggrin.gif ..the whole theory is realy something not easy stuff

but i'm know 1 thing i'm don't know nothing about progresion.But if i'm be know which scale is important for making the progresion..that program will help me thing

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_pro...i*&get2=Get

like i'm set before even if i'm be have the whole theorry explanation in my language i'm still be on trouble tongue.gif mad.gif rolleyes.gif

but i'm will be work on that..i'm promise cool.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Nov 24 2007, 05:56 PM
if i am correct its in d

EDIT: nevermind... Andew just explained the progression thing >.<

This post has been edited by Xranthoius: Nov 24 2007, 05:57 PM

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
peterorg54
Nov 26 2007, 07:48 AM
im working on this song. and whats the bendrelease?

appears as br on tabs...

so.. how do u do that?

is there any lesson on gmc that teaches bendrelease ?
cuz i couldnt find any..

and he used this technique around at 1:06..

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 26 2007, 05:41 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (peterorg54 @ Nov 26 2007, 06:48 AM) *
im working on this song. and whats the bendrelease?

appears as br on tabs...

so.. how do u do that?

is there any lesson on gmc that teaches bendrelease ?
cuz i couldnt find any..

and he used this technique around at 1:06..

Bend release, this means :
if:
you are holding a bend at a certain fret at this point in the tab (maybe the last note before it was a bend), when the "bend release" comes up you will "release the bend"- dont just let go of the string...your basically just "unbending" the string, so take it back to its natural position (inline with the other strings).

Or...

If you weren't already holding a bend- you will need to "prebend" the note (bend the note up to pitch without actually striking the string <you will be muting it with your right hand soit doesnt sound>) then at "bend release" you will strike the string with your pick and release the note back to its paralell position with the other strings (while your left hand's finger is still "on" it playing the note). However a tab will normally indicate whether or not you need to prebend a note.

Hope that made some sense smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:13 PM