3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
My First Full Song Including Vocals, need recording tipps though...
Gitarrero
Jul 23 2012, 10:46 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
The V-Amp is indeed only designed for guitars, but at this point is my only option to connect the mic to the PC.
As Todd suggested, I will order the ICICLE to connect the mic via USB to my PC, I hope this will work much better...

Thanks again for all your input guys smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 23 2012, 11:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 23 2012, 10:34 AM) *
Might be wrong as I don't know much about the VAmp but this sounds like there's an impedence mismatch. I don't think the VAmp was designed to take a signal from a mic, only ones from guitar. If that's the case you'll struggle to get a good signal level - cranking it is just likely to boost all the noise as well.

Good point.. aren't guitar signals Hi impedance whereas mics are low ?

I have to make sure my audio interface is switched to HI impedance for recording guitar and low whenever I'm running a mic into it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 23 2012, 01:26 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 23 2012, 05:34 AM) *
Yes, maybe a little tighter 220-500Hz and attenuate on a wide bell. It also may need an extra cut at @500 on a narrow, tight bell but more like -6dB. You maybe then can avoid the boost but a bit hard to tell from the stream...

A bit OT - Uncreator for some vox using a shelf rather than a pass filter can help as you don't have to cut as steeply to achieve the same result smile.gif. I think the SM58 has a slight presence lift in the 1.5-5kHz range by the way to compliment most vocals and guitar.

When I use shelf's It seems I have to cut more steeply into higher frequencies. Although I did just pick up Q-10 by waves which is an amazing EQ, The slope control is phenomenal, extremely adjustable, will have to try this out if I record vox soon.

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jul 23 2012, 02:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Sehr interessant
and i like to listen to this dark and even relaxing rhythm ! Cool riffs and the voicetype fits great should be not louder but a bit clearer to understand the words better, from my opinion smile.gif

Hope there comes more !

Dieter

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 23 2012, 02:11 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hallo Dieter,

vielen Dank biggrin.gif

Yeah, I wanted to create a dark atmosphere, so I chose a slow rhythm biggrin.gif
I also think that I will mix the vocals a bit into the background, but really want to make them a bit clearer so you can still understand them.

And no worries, more will follow!

Schöne Grüße Richtung Norden wink.gif

Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2012, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Hey Christian! Check yer thread out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 24 2012, 10:56 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 23 2012, 11:18 AM) *
Good point.. aren't guitar signals Hi impedance whereas mics are low ?

I have to make sure my audio interface is switched to HI impedance for recording guitar and low whenever I'm running a mic into it.

Yes Ben electric guitars are HiZ whereas a mic is low impedence, plug one in to the other and it's unlikely that you'll get a useable signal.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 23 2012, 01:26 PM) *
When I use shelf's It seems I have to cut more steeply into higher frequencies. Although I did just pick up Q-10 by waves which is an amazing EQ, The slope control is phenomenal, extremely adjustable, will have to try this out if I record vox soon.

A shelf should pretty much give you a flat, uniform cut/gain across the entire frequency range that you choose, whereas a pass filter is rolling off progressivly on a slope. So if you want to cut -6dB from 50 Hz: with a shelf you set the corner at 50 so 50 would be -6dB as would 40, 30, 20, etc. To get something similar with a pass filter for -6 at 50 on say a-6dB per octave slope you may need a corner at 100; at 100 you'd be at 0, 75 @ -2, 50 at- 6, 40 about -10, 20 -20: actual figures depend on the design of the filter. Some pass filters also colour at the corner - i.e. they add some boost, so the corner at 100 could actual mean +2db at 110.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2012, 01:59 AM
GMC:er
Todd here smile.gif Christian put up the REAPER files and I downloaded them and did a quick REMIX! Here is the Remix Version. I used REAPER plugins and plugins already in the project. Have a look and listen smile.gif

CHRISTIAN: Open up the FX panel and you can see any of the additions/changes. I didn't make very many really, just a few tweaks. Anybody else up for a remix?

http://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/gmc-remix-gitarrero-the-prime

Attached File  the_prime_evil_remix.zip ( 18.51MB ) Number of downloads: 67

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 25 2012, 02:20 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 24 2012, 05:56 AM) *
Yes Ben electric guitars are HiZ whereas a mic is low impedence, plug one in to the other and it's unlikely that you'll get a useable signal.

A shelf should pretty much give you a flat, uniform cut/gain across the entire frequency range that you choose, whereas a pass filter is rolling off progressivly on a slope. So if you want to cut -6dB from 50 Hz: with a shelf you set the corner at 50 so 50 would be -6dB as would 40, 30, 20, etc. To get something similar with a pass filter for -6 at 50 on say a-6dB per octave slope you may need a corner at 100; at 100 you'd be at 0, 75 @ -2, 50 at- 6, 40 about -10, 20 -20: actual figures depend on the design of the filter. Some pass filters also colour at the corner - i.e. they add some boost, so the corner at 100 could actual mean +2db at 110.

Oh wow, I just realized I was talking about band pass' (bells, etc.) and not shelfs. I see exactly what you're saying now, haven't tried that though, thats a good idea. I really feel dumb this hasnt occured to me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 31 2012, 09:16 AM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 25 2012, 03:59 AM) *
Anybody else up for a remix?

Here comes my remix. cool.gif No vocals though.

I added new drums for you too. You can use them If you want to re-record your vocals on this one.

Here's the file:
https://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/gmc-remix-gitarrero-the-prime

Also Christian I don't know about that tapedeck thing if it's necessary...'cos when listening that clean guitar audio the whole track can be heard in the background. You should check that out !!
Also you're using it in the heavy guitars too. It makes those audio muddy.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  The_Prime_Evil_drums_only.mp3 ( 10.68MB ) Number of downloads: 82

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 31 2012, 05:33 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Sweet, sounds awesome Weepee!

Yeah, that tapedeck thing is annoying, but I haven't figured out how to stop it yet...so how can I stop it in Reaper?

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 31 2012, 06:14 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 31 2012, 07:33 PM) *
Sweet, sounds awesome Weepee!

Yeah, that tapedeck thing is annoying, but I haven't figured out how to stop it yet...so how can I stop it in Reaper?

I think it's quite simple as clicking in the right corner close it but somebody tell me what the heck is it for ? The tapedeck I mean...

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 31 2012, 06:17 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I never even noticed there was one, tbh, otherwise I would have closed it already biggrin.gif
But I found it now.

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2012, 12:05 AM
Nice! Really well done on the drums WEEPEE! Don't suppose you can program up some Math Metal/Groove beats? I'd love to work on a track with you guys smile.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Jul 31 2012, 04:16 AM) *
Here comes my remix. cool.gif No vocals though.

I added new drums for you too. You can use them If you want to re-record your vocals on this one.

Here's the file:
https://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/gmc-remix-gitarrero-the-prime

Also Christian I don't know about that tapedeck thing if it's necessary...'cos when listening that clean guitar audio the whole track can be heard in the background. You should check that out !!
Also you're using it in the heavy guitars too. It makes those audio muddy.

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 1 2012, 10:21 AM
Sounds great, Pure Teutonic Industrial / Death rock!!
But because of muddy vocals production can't find out are u singing in German or english?
Anyway you reminded me on Good ol' Diablo days , so i need to reinstall diablu 2 these days and play it while it's hot...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 1 2012, 10:59 AM
Instructor
I got an idea smile.gif Now that Weepee did such a great job with the drumming, it is only natural for Christian to re-record the guitars over Weepee's drums, so that the track becomes uber tight!

What say you gentlemen?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2012, 04:33 PM
I was thinking make it in to a collab smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 1 2012, 05:59 AM) *
I got an idea smile.gif Now that Weepee did such a great job with the drumming, it is only natural for Christian to re-record the guitars over Weepee's drums, so that the track becomes uber tight!

What say you gentlemen?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Aug 15 2012, 07:32 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Sorry guys, been so busy with other stuff lately...I will re-record it next week!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2012, 11:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Aug 15 2012, 06:32 PM) *
Sorry guys, been so busy with other stuff lately...I will re-record it next week!

Well, Todd's idea seems like a good one - what do you say Christian?

Me and Ben and Jessi, we were wondering where you are man biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Aug 16 2012, 01:47 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 15 2012, 06:33 PM) *
I was thinking make it in to a collab smile.gif

Crazy Train Collab !!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:30 PM