Strat Players!, What pickups are you using?
Gilmore
Feb 16 2008, 10:27 PM
GMC:er
Hi

It would be great to hear what pickups you are using. It´s an ocean of options out there and I have been looking for pickups to replace my stock pups in my Standard American strat. I looked into many from Fender Custom shop (´54s 69´s) and many more, but I found on Ebay Fender Original ´57/´62 pups and I got them for 100 bucks. They got very good reviews, but has anyone here tried them?? I receive the pups in few days and I want to install it myself. I mabye do a little review when it´s done. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 16 2008, 10:30 PM
Learning Roadie
I would have texas specials on mine, but I don't have one... yet tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 16 2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor
i use Demarzio humpickups to my startocaster its working good and warm

+Quote Post
bsamn
Feb 17 2008, 12:00 AM
Texas Special smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 17 2008, 12:07 AM
fralin blues specials are awsome

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
visi0n
Feb 17 2008, 12:40 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I really dont know what pickups i have now, but i like the Dimarzio Area 58 .. very powerfull smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 17 2008, 03:38 PM
Instructor
I would like some reviews on strat pickups too. I'm thinking to buy a strat in the next couple of months. I don't need texas pickups, I can get the twang anyway , I just want good quality noise free singles, so if anyone has some suggestions...I don't use a lot of gain 80 % of the time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 17 2008, 06:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
You should check out this link. This is the Strat I decided to go with (mine is a vinage 3 color sunburst, tobacco) and I just love everything about this stock pickup configuration. The S-1 switching system is the key. Maybe you can read more about it a the Fender site. You can buy the set as a kit and put them in you strat if you already have one. You should see if your local music shop has one you can try. You won't be disapointed.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...itar?sku=511145

Best way to describe it, It's lick having everything you love about the Strat tone (with single coil noise) and a Les Paul.

EDIT: Here is another link. To the right in the square box you will see a link for the S-1 swithing system.
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0101500720

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Feb 17 2008, 07:03 PM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 17 2008, 09:54 PM
Instructor
I tried out every Strat with S1 that I could find and that's plenty, and I didn't like the tone, it sounded little thin and synthetic but that's just me. i like the tone of a vintage strat the best, but pickups are too noisy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
shammy
Feb 18 2008, 01:16 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 17 2008, 03:54 PM) *
I tried out every Strat with S1 that I could find and that's plenty, and I didn't like the tone, it sounded little thin and synthetic but that's just me. i like the tone of a vintage strat the best, but pickups are too noisy.

Hey Ivan, maybe you should check out seymourduncan.com I use the cool rails. It's a stacked single coil, so really a humbucker if you will. I used to use hotrails but they were a little to much and now I use 2 texas specials and 1 cool rail. Real tasty tones. You can actually listen to somes tones on there site, just remember there only as good as your pc speakers are , ya know. Peace

This post has been edited by shammy: Feb 18 2008, 01:17 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 18 2008, 04:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 17 2008, 03:54 PM) *

WoW, really? Are you sure they where these?

Quote: "With open minds and a willingness to seemingly question everything, Fender partnered with legendary pickup designer Bill Lawrence. The pickup that was birthed from this extraordinary partnership is the Samarium Colbalt a Noiseless Pickup. It has no hum, no microphonics, close to zero magnetic interruption of the string path, and the widest sonic parameters possible from Fender classic single coils to tones not yet imagined. Truly a revolutionary design in guitar pickups."

Bill Lawrence makes great pickups. The cheap models with the S1 Switch don't have these. My single coils have SCN stamped on them. Far from thin. Maybe a little to thick at times which is why I boost the presence a little. Very fat a clean tone, warm and with great sustain.

I also really liked the special Texas pickups in the SRV model (signature). Very nice vintage tone with a little less noise. If your going for vintage tone then your going to get vintage noise though imho.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 18 2008, 04:46 AM
I Know you might not like the player, but the pickups sounds awesome. Yngwie Malmsteens signature pickups.

The dimarzio YJM - HS-3, are really nice pickups. Very vintage sounding. Low output and very clear and articulate. Tried them out and I was really floored, I liked them SO much more than a normal strats pups. And theres no hum either.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Feb 18 2008, 04:51 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
bsamn
Feb 18 2008, 06:45 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 18 2008, 04:46 AM) *
I Know you might not like the player, but the pickups sounds awesome. Yngwie Malmsteens signature pickups.

The dimarzio YJM - HS-3, are really nice pickups. Very vintage sounding. Low output and very clear and articulate. Tried them out and I was really floored, I liked them SO much more than a normal strats pups. And theres no hum either.

Hey Tjcehp,

I was considering buying those two pickups, mainly to get a thicker sound outta my strat. Do those sound like humbuckin single coils, i mean thats what they claim they are.
Let me know.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 07:07 AM
Instructor
Nice warm single pickup tone and noise free is mission impossible I think. smile.gif
You have to choose what you prefer more.
YJM - HS-3 is fine pickup indeed,very low noise,but it's not real vintage sound,
no much of wire is in there imho.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Feb 18 2008, 09:34 AM
Many players think Strat is not a Strat unless it has that single coil noise. I´ve read reviews about the noisless vintage pups, but many are not happy with it, and think it lacks alot of tone. I´m looking for this original vintage strat tone, and the noise don´t bother me, it´s just part of the deal. I´m not going to use the Strat with heavy distortion, and I think no vintage pickup sounds good heavy distorted, unless you are using humbuckers or some special picups. But still i want to catch some sounds with light overdrive like Blackmore and Hendrix. So i think Texas specials or Custom shop 69´s would be great for that, but for me I think the Texas specials are a little to dirty sounding for me, so I bought Original 57 / 62´s, and they should sound close to the Texas specials but with a little bit mellower and sweeter sound. I´ve read in many reviews that quite large number of SRV fans think that 57 / 62´s should have been in his signature guitar. So i´m very excited to try my new pups out. But I think I can´t go wrong with any pickup, because I´ve not played my Strat much in those 4 years i´ve had it, because the stock pickups sound awful, they are so thin and trebly, specially the bridge pickup, it almost hurt your ears.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:35 PM